Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Soon to be rider - Is a garage mandatory ?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:42 - 17 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: Soon to be rider - Is a garage mandatory ? Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:

But isn't this effectively what you did? I know you have the BMW but isn't that more of a utility bike than your other two - the Enfield and the Kawasaki?

Sorry, I missed this. Having a 250 in addition to an 800 is one thing. Getting a license on a 600 then buying a 300 right away seems a little hair-shirt.

It's not a daft thing to do, mind. You might have more smiles per mile on the ickle bike.

Fwiw, it is sort of what I did. Trained on a CBF600 (ikr, WHOOSH), then bought a '97 cb500. Not much of a step down, granted - but from a 600 il4 (albeit possibly the blandest ever manufactured), to a 500 twin - still plumping for less. Self-flagellation? A bit, yeah. I suppose I could argue that the 500 has a teeny bit more character. It's certainly lighter - and smaller. And I don't think it would be far behind the CBF600 when spiritedly launched, nor through corners, nor even top end straight line (though this is probably because they're both bone naked).

Still on the 500 now, some 50k miles later. Have considered flogging for a Hornet, a VTR, a VFR and most recently an MT07. But the 500 has served me well, seen me through the IAM, a nasty crash that all but destroyed the bike (cosmetically at least), and every "season" I seem to wring more out of it somehow - whether by finding more handling, more revs, or both.

In any case, I seem to have bought into the notion that it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a big bike slowly - even though I haven't really had the pleasure of the latter. Plus I can keep most of those that come passed me in sight, anyway. /shrug

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:05 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

VickRides wrote:
To give more detail about anchor, I rent here in the UK, I will be staying at my current place for 6-8 months after which I will move to another place probably - still the same city just a bigger place. I don`t have a garage here , neither more likely will the next place have one

No so fast tiger. You can rent a garage for about £12 a week from the council.

I suggest you call them first.

Other than that as Rogeborg has mention it is highly unlikely after doint test on 600cc to go back to 300cc.

Not to mention what is the point to do that? 300 are usually lower quality than 600 bikes.

And also you can get used bikes with warranty too.

Get license, than test ride few bikes, than decide which one to get.

Where exactly are you based? I mean the UK is a big country if you are down south there is no an actual winter here. Nevertheless it is better to have a garage to keep the bike dry and to plug the battery charger too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

FuzzyBallz
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:02 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course your money your life your choice, but........

I passed my test and bought a 250cc because I wanted to be sensible and learn to ride properly before stepping up to a big bike but oh my do you get bored quickly.

Think I was bored after a month and ended up swapping it for a 600 zx6r.

It actually feels more dangerous because you can't get yourself out of sticky situations as quick as a 600, can't overtake as swiftly, and if you want or need to do a long motorway trip the engine is screaming all the way.

VickRides
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 19:41 - 23 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I had my CBT today and I failed ...

The thing that annoys me is that despite having mentioned I never driven in traffic ever, and that I come from a country with opposite roads, I was paired with a CBT rider on his 2nd CBT as he drove a moped and car for 2 years .

I felt all the time as being slow and having to keep up with the dude Sad I would have really liked riding around 20 MPH for a good hour in tighter less traffic heavy streets ... I was doing 30MPH in traffic, following an experience dude while I was still figuring out the bike ...

When the instructor lead the drive, it was much more manageable. I didn`t even get to ride in front at my own pace, as he stopped me one hour into riding in traffic and said I have failed, as he needs me to do more clutch control ... and spend another hour in the parking lot on another day. Why the fuck was I allowed to go in traffic if I needed more parking lot practice?

That said, I have to come in for another hour next week (for free) and complete it then, as I have trouble with clutch control , look down too much and don`t perform U turns well - with which I wholeheartedly agree with so I`m glad for that ... I`ve also suggested I buy half days worth of traffic tuition which was 45quid just to get more comfortable.

While I know I haven`t done any major HOLLY SHIT you almost died mistake ... I`m a bit bummed out by the experience. Not that I have failed as much as the fact that I feel a bit robbed by a rapid start with an experienced partner who I`ve had to keep up with and not concentrate on the rest.

Anyway , rant over , hopefully I`ll get it next week. I just hope I`m not gonna be a shit rider forever.

VickRides
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 19:57 - 23 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Val wrote:
VickRides wrote:
To give more detail about anchor, I rent here in the UK, I will be staying at my current place for 6-8 months after which I will move to another place probably - still the same city just a bigger place. I don`t have a garage here , neither more likely will the next place have one

No so fast tiger. You can rent a garage for about £12 a week from the council.

I suggest you call them first.

Other than that as Rogeborg has mention it is highly unlikely after doint test on 600cc to go back to 300cc.

Not to mention what is the point to do that? 300 are usually lower quality than 600 bikes.

And also you can get used bikes with warranty too.

Get license, than test ride few bikes, than decide which one to get.

Where exactly are you based? I mean the UK is a big country if you are down south there is no an actual winter here. Nevertheless it is better to have a garage to keep the bike dry and to plug the battery charger too.

Hey VAL,

Sorry I missed this message. I live in Horsham .

Vick.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:19 - 23 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's training, not a test. Long term, getting more training is to your benefit.

You didn't fail, you just haven't reached the required standard yet.

There's a huge amount to take in, and you did well just getting as far as you did. Plenty of us went back for a 2nd day - you'll find it much easier next time, going back rested and with some time to assimilate what you've learned.

If you want road experience without paying by the hour:

Rogerborg wrote:
Many people[who?] find it useful to ride a pedal-cycle for a while to get used to the sort of observations - and lack of observability - that you'll experience as a biker.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:10 - 23 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

VickRides wrote:
ps. I want it new as I just came to the UK, I don`t even own a screw driver here, I don`t want to get a 2nd hand and have issues with it. I want to get new and just spend the little free time I have riding as opposed to figuring out as a new rider, why the 2nd hand bike is fucking up.

Why do you think a new bike will be problem free?
Go into any dealerships workshop and you'll find a few new bikes in with problems (less new bike issues than new car issues but still plenty of them).

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:33 - 24 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

what he ^^ said. All bikes have the potential to have issue. I'd probably choose a well serviced second hand bike that has already proven itself to be reliable over something new and shiny that hasn't

Marclev
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:41 - 28 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpineandy wrote:
VickRides wrote:
ps. I want it new as I just came to the UK, I don`t even own a screw driver here, I don`t want to get a 2nd hand and have issues with it. I want to get new and just spend the little free time I have riding as opposed to figuring out as a new rider, why the 2nd hand bike is fucking up.

Why do you think a new bike will be problem free?
Go into any dealerships workshop and you'll find a few new bikes in with problems (less new bike issues than new car issues but still plenty of them).

Oh come on, while things certainly can go wrong with new bikes, they tend to have multi-year warranties, old ones do not.

Main argument against new I could see would be the immediate depreciation that will hurt hard when OP gets bored of the little 300 and wants a bigger bike. That and the likelihood of dropping it (or was that just me after I passed my test??).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:28 - 29 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marclev wrote:
Oh come on, while things certainly can go wrong with new bikes, they tend to have multi-year warranties, old ones do not.

Main argument against new I could see would be the immediate depreciation that will hurt hard when OP gets bored of the little 300 and wants a bigger bike. That and the likelihood of dropping it (or was that just me after I passed my test??).

It sounds like you'd be surprised by the number of problems with new bikes and the length of time it can take to get them repaired by the main dealer with main dealer parts.
Whereas a slightly older bike can often be sorted quicker with a local garage and webmoto (or similar) parts.

As for warranties, that often depends on you getting the bike serviced by main dealers at main dealer prices.
The saving of using a non-main dealer to service your bike can be enough to cover some problems.
IMO the perceived reliability is rarely justified against the money lost buying a new bike.

Most people have dropped their bike at least once in their first year.
Rarely with major damage but new bike plastics can be horribly expensive for the tiniest part.
So yes, that's another reason not to get a new bike as your first 'big' bike.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:35 - 29 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: Soon to be rider - Is a garage mandatory ? Reply with quote

VickRides wrote:
This being said, I do not own a garage

Is there any possibility of building a small shed?
Some places are OK with it if there's an unused corner of the 'plot', and some aren't...

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:52 - 29 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see new vehicle purchases (or any goods) as a bit of a lottery, sure they have quality control, but that particular bike might have been put together by Arcane or someone just having an off day.

Getting problems sorted can be more difficult than a straight swap on a TV for example. If you have a shit bike they keep mending you're still going to have a shit bike. I'd rather be the second/third owner.

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:18 - 29 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might get raped on insurance being an new rider with a brand new bike. And your first bike might not be the right kind of bike.

I have a friend who bought a yzf-r125 on finance 6 months before he was eligible for a2. His insurance is like £1300/year and he cant trade up and out of his finance policy because his bike is in worse condition than projected as he's scraped both sides of the fairings as nobody told him about crash bungs. He's after a cruiser or a muscle bike now. I'm not sure A2 and muscle bike are compatible, but whatever you think you want, chances are you'll be after somehthing else when you come to live it rahter than dream it. Plan to change plans.

Oh yeah, crash bungs on anything you want to keep pretty. They're not expensive compared to new plastics or new engine covers and I'm yet to have a bike that hasnt benefited from crash bungs or big chrome bars that do similar.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:13 - 30 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

talkToTheHat wrote:
He's after a cruiser or a muscle bike now. I'm not sure A2 and muscle bike are compatible, but whatever you think you want, chances are you'll be after somehthing else when you come to live it rahter than dream it. Plan to change plans.

Oh yeah, crash bungs on anything you want to keep pretty. They're not expensive compared to new plastics or new engine covers and I'm yet to have a bike that hasnt benefited from crash bungs or big chrome bars that do similar.

MT-01 can be ridden on an A2 license (restricted). Not sure of the appeal personally but enough people have a soft spot for them on the MT owners forum.

Bungs didn't help my bike, I mullered the bung but still scratched the tank and air scoop in a fairly low speed drop. Also scratched the engine casing when falling over with the bike whilst stationary. Had I paid £100 for them (as the previous owner did) I'd have considered it a waste of money Smile

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:17 - 30 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

Bungs didn't help my bike, I mullered the bung but still scratched the tank and air scoop in a fairly low speed drop.

Are you sure that was a drop rather than a slow speed potato?
Drop is usually a standing still thing, often when the engine isn't even running... Which is when Bungs are a real benefit.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:00 - 30 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that was why I mentioned also falling over with the bike, cos if they don't help with low speed drops (which are more likely), or even falling over whilst stationary (I admit on a sample of one) then I don't really see the point of them.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:23 - 30 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Well that was why I mentioned also falling over with the bike, cos if they don't help with low speed drops (which are more likely), or even falling over whilst stationary (I admit on a sample of one) then I don't really see the point of them.

In my experience it's more likely to have a stationary drop rather than a low speed drop.
I've never had a low speed one, but more than half a dozen stationary over 35 years (mostly in the first year odd).
For me the main cause was gravel car parks where I'd switched off, went to kick the stand down and my right leg slipped away on the gravel.
Unfortunately it didn't have bungs then but equally, back then bikes weren't covered with plastic, so usually just a fucked rear indicator (as the drop was kind of controlled the lever and front indicators were usually OK).
Although just pushing the bike around the garage has also been at least 2 drops (Stepped on an extension lead once and moved one outside onto some damp grass when I slipped, although that did have plastics (VFR750) and the bungs saved that one).
It's true that most pub car parks are now tarmac'd rather than gravel but there's still plenty of it around.

I do know others that have has low speed incidents and sliders/bungs have saved them, so I'd say you were just unlucky...

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:39 - 30 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm willing to accept the bungs are rubbish/of a poor design on my bike, but I believe they were an official option Neutral

Depends on your definition of low speed, I've fallen over with the bike twice, once getting it off a paddock stand and another time a loose paving stone sent me over. Had one other low speed (<10 mph drop) where I got lucky it fell onto the exhaust side, but there was surprisingly little damage to the bike (big IL4), and nothing a bung would have saved IMO.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:38 - 01 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Val"]
VickRides wrote:

Where exactly are you based? I mean the UK is a big country if you are down south there is no an actual winter here.

I just read this.
Laughing

SDFarsight
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 14:31 - 02 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
VickRides wrote:
My plan is to get a Kawasaki z300 brand new once I pass my A licence and to ride it for at least 3 years.

Your current plan.

I'm not saying you will change your mind but I'm not saying you won't. Whenever I read such threads it always makes me want to point out that, in my view, it's best to get the license out the way before you start looking for a bike because the mind and opinions can change quite a but during this time.

On that note, I was thinking of getting a 125 and then doing a DAS to get my full A licence or at least an A1 (I currently have a CBT certificate).

The logic there is that I can practice on the roads, building up good habits so that I'm more confident during the test. Plus my relatively expensive bike clothing feels somewhat impotent just hanging in my room rather than getting out there on the road. The only downside to getting an early bike is that I'll have to suffer riding with L plates again after happily waving goodbye to them some years ago with my car licence.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:59 - 02 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDFarsight wrote:
On that note, I was thinking of getting a 125 and then doing a DAS to get my full A licence or at least an A1 (I currently have a CBT certificate).

If you're over 24 then my recommendation would be to do your DAS rather than get an expensive 125 (as they all are, for what they are) with expensive 125 insurance.
A bigger bike (sensibly bigger rather than a fireblade etc) is in many ways easier to ride and is only as fast as your right wrist allows it to be.
Find a decent local training school and discuss it with them.
Once you've ridden their 500-650 training bike then I'd be surprised if you don't drop the idea of a 125 in a millisecond.

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:07 - 02 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saraya wrote:
I even leave the chain in the anchor, tucked under the hedge when I’m riding. The dudes that come round and cut the hedges have never complained or reported me.

Careful now - I know it's an Almax *but* a trick thieves use is to find an unattended chain with no bike, crop or grind the chain a few links from the end, replace the cropped link with a cable tie and then pull the sleeve back over it so you dont notice. You park up your pride and joy, "chain" it up, and then all they have to do is snip the cable tie and wheel it away.

Last edited by angryjonny on 18:26 - 02 May 2017; edited 1 time in total

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:12 - 02 May 2017    Post subject: Re: Soon to be rider - Is a garage mandatory ? Reply with quote

VickRides wrote:
My plan is to get a Kawasaki z300

Careful now - I bought a 500 as my first bike. For the first week or two it felt like plenty. Then it felt like not enough and I envied the big boys on their CBRs and their Hornets. Within months I'd chucked it in against a Fazer.

VickRides wrote:
brand new

Careful now - your new steed will likely hit the floor a few times. My first bike did three times. Don't get anything you're too precious about.

VickRides wrote:
I would be highly skeptical of leaving it untied like that on the street over night

I risked it for a few months and more-or-less got away with it. When I bought a house I sank an anchor into my drive. Now I have a garage. I'm happier with our bikes in the garage, but they coped ok, outside, on the drive.

A suggestion I've read on here before is filling something big like a dustbin with concrete and burying an anchor in that. You've not made any alterations to the property but you've got an enormous ball-and-chain someone has to separate the bike from to nick it.

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:23 - 02 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperMike wrote:
I then wrap it all up with an oxford bike cover which I think has actually been the best investment from an anti theft point of view for some reason.

They really are. Uncovered, any scrote can walk past with their pitbull as many times as they like, innocent-like, whilst sizing up your security. If it's covered, they've got to tamper with the bike to even see what security you've got on it. They don't like that.

Oooh triple post. Should I merge them all and go all Tef?

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:43 - 02 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

angryjonny wrote:
Should I merge them all and go all Tef?

Please, Please, pretty Please don't! Wink
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 331 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5