BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Am I ghey?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

oscar777
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 02:17 - 27 Mar 2017    Post subject: Am I ghey? Reply with quote

I've picked up a xv535 on auction for a good price. Liked the look of it, needed something A2 compliant for my gf to upgrade to (from a grom 125).

Secretly I've always wanted a bike as a base for a bobber project. It's got the V-twin, good rake etc. Has Black Widow exhaust which sounds great.

https://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/z467/oscar2227/17362382_10209214397829014_2487444750447269405_n_zps6rpfkmme.jpg

I've only ridden more sporty bikes. (last one was a GSXR, current is 1098SF). So didn't know what to expect when first taking it out. But I actually found it quite fun.. Completely different riding experience. Confused

I've done a fair amount of research on these bikes. Anything I need to know? Want to black out engine, wheels, cut back fender, remove front fender, standard bobber stuff.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 02:26 - 27 Mar 2017    Post subject: Re: Am I ghey? Reply with quote

Oscar777 wrote:
am I ghey?

https://i.imgur.com/7CXzClW.jpg

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:37 - 27 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure the fuel reserve switch works before you run out of petrol................ not after.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:56 - 27 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

we are in England wtf is a fender Laughing Laughing

also thing front mudguard is an mot fail
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:23 - 27 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyscooter wrote:

It's a C&U requirement. I don't see it mentioned in the MOT. In any case, it would be seconds to whack it back on.

I wonder how long it will be until every XV out there is a bob-chop-flat-brat. "95% complete, just needs finishing, will sail through MOT."

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:28 - 27 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 12:22 - 27 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

you only become gay when you have the handle bar tash to go with it........................ and the leather cap.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:23 - 27 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyscooter wrote:

Only if it incorporates a fork brace.

Which it does.

Take it from me though. Riding with no front mudguard in the UK gets boring very quickly. You might think the road is dry until you go over a cats-eye.

If you remove the airbox and /or those chrome air inlet pods I gaurantee it will run like a bag o' shite for ever more.

oscar777
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 12:48 - 27 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The legality of no fenders is not really a concern, it takes a few seconds to put back on. I was thinking of cutting the front fender down instead like in this built:

https://youtu.be/Ml6lq0vGj9E

Absolutely great looking bobber btw.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:36 - 27 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find your use of Yankisms offenderish.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:16 - 27 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/I7hQN4Amaeg/hqdefault.jpg

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:53 - 27 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am fully expecting to get shot down in flames here, but what is with the mass hatred on here for Cruisers and Harleys............ am i missing something?

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:59 - 27 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a lot of rust on the front brake disc, does the brake even work? Confused

Johnnythefox
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 15:15 - 27 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:
I am fully expecting to get shot down in flames here, but what is with the mass hatred on here for Cruisers and Harleys............ am i missing something?

I have a cruiser, an XV750 but I don't hate on whatever bike people like to ride.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:26 - 27 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnnythefox wrote:
I have a cruiser, an XV750 but I don't hate on whatever people like to ride.

What about if they like potatoes?

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:32 - 27 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's the bikes so much as the lifestyle and all that's associated with it. Not to mention the money making machine that is the brands and their merchandise. Then it's the whole wannabee club scene and the very gayness of it all.

The bikes themselves while to most UK sportsbike obsessed males and females, being pretty unexciting and heavy/slow, poor for showing off knee down on roundabouts are not that bad in all respects or as terrible as UK folk will make out.

The other issue is the way they are built in terms of its often all style over substance, and your paying lots of money for a look and often not the best components to do the job. Add to that the appalling build quality of some of the American brands that has taken so long to address, then that's where the ridicule and the ''i just don't get them'' attitudes come from.

Saying that, when you build a bike purely for a look or style, at the expense of sensible useful geometry for UK roads, then it's easy to not understand them for riders used to any other type of bike.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:57 - 27 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Steve, makes a bit more sense now

I do quite like the idea of a fat, laid back cruiser, but all the talk on here had me at a bit of a loss as to the slating they get

I do have a fair amount of tattoos though, but can't grow a beard for shit and i'm not fond of leather waistcoats, lol

oscar777
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 16:06 - 27 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
That's a lot of rust on the front brake disc, does the brake even work? Confused

Works fine, just passed MOT no problems. Will have a bit of rust, standing for a year will do that. Obviously not anywhere as good as the brembos on my Duc, feel a bit like stopping with a cheese block.

It's a completely different experience to riding a standard or sports bike. Would I have a cruiser as my only bike? Hell no. Can cruisers be fun? Yea once I get rid of the hideous handlebars and gobs of chrome. Half the fun in biking to me is the customisation and this bike is a perfect base for that.

The bike brings me back to when I was 16 and bough a XS650 with a knackered valve. Old school.

oscar777
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 16:07 - 27 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

You mad bro?

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:17 - 27 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:

I think it had a subversive 'tough guy' subculture which made it cool in the same way punk, skateboarding, heavy metal etc are/were/have been, but that was about 40 odd years ago. My uncle was part of it up in the rough spots of Glasgow. I think he got up to a fair bit and it would definitely be the end of me if I told him the shite he recommends to me and puts up on facebook is ultra ghey.

Problem is it all seems like a load of poser nonsense now. Lots of grown men acting like they're in a big important cool hard gang when the reality is they're just members of society who think their cliquey little hobby makes them special. Fair play they enjoy doing it, but they don't deserve any reverential status. Sons of Anarchy pretty much torpedoed the whole thing too. Mainstreamed it to death.

Also, just to really ruin things, I think the 'tough guy' culture of motorcycle clubs does remain to some extent, so if anyone gets a bike and decides to strut around like they're the real deal when they're not, there is a risk of bumping into the wrong blokes. I saw some Leeds Angels lads in a bar once a year or so ago, talking about utter nonsense like the meaning of their patches and other cliquey shite. Don't think it would have been too pretty if someone waltzed in dressed like they meant business when actually they were just trying to look cool. And I think that's how the hell's angel image got it's ghey label. It became a fashion statement.

https://www.minskytux.com/images/photo/leather_patches.jpg

The bikes are alright though. I had a mini version which looked ultra-ghey (like this minus the fly screen) but in all honesty it was really fun to ride and I would consider having one again. Certainly a better ride than the decidedly plain 'dad bike' Diversion I've got now.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:24 - 27 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oscar777 wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

You mad bro?

No, my mother had me tested.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 01:22 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Did you pass? How many advisories?

Johnnythefox
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 09:07 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Johnnythefox wrote:
I have a cruiser, an XV750 but I don't hate on whatever people like to ride.

What about if they like potatoes?

Roast, baked, fried or Harley........

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 09:37 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnnythefox wrote:
Roast, baked, fried or Harley........

Whole. Thumbs Up

https://i.imgur.com/qHRLU5P.gif

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:51 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

Did you pass? How many advisories?

Now that made I chuckle!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 23 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2