BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Some nugget hit my car, advice?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 21:22 - 27 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope the fella hasn't bawwed to the police as remember he has a lot more to lose than you pranging a newish car. You can take a view that your car isn't worth the repairs - part of the reason I have a banger is exactly this. But you simply can't afford to lose out on damages to a car that's new and shiny.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:14 - 27 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Damn, I really like those Swift Sports, and the OEM alloys are a nice design too, certainly too nice to be fucking up with curbs etc.

You'll never know she's been near it with another few hundred quid thrown at hiding the fact. Thank fook I got a
black one. I hear the new one will be a 1.4t. No thanks.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:28 - 27 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodsi wrote:
I hope the fella hasn't bawwed to the police as remember he has a lot more to lose than you pranging a newish car. You can take a view that your car isn't worth the repairs - part of the reason I have a banger is exactly this. But you simply can't afford to lose out on damages to a car that's new and shiny.

Like a lease car? Very Happy Just out of curiosity, what does BCF consider a banger? Both the car and bike are worth £1750-2000 and I wouldn't bother claiming on either.

Also dashcam paddy.

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 06:29 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
dodsi wrote:

Like a lease car? Very Happy Just out of curiosity, what does BCF consider a banger? Both the car and bike are worth £1750-2000 and I wouldn't bother claiming on either.

Also dashcam paddy.

yep, for all the reasons having a new car is a bad idea I have the old 3 series. I use the term banger lightly as it's actually in really nice shape For a 17 year old car.

But of course it would sting more to have such incidents in a new car where you cannot shrug off the damage. I certainly feel that in a self caused or a minor accident I wouldn't claim for the BMW. Even in 'our' (read VW financial services) new car I would pay myself if it was a few hundred quid within the excess.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

skatefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:54 - 04 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt B wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
I suppose reporting him to the police for leaving the scene of an accident without exchanging insurance? Is that an offence?

My wife had similar recently, company car was hit by a guy in a van who drove off. She reported it to the local police station, explained it happened in a car park covered by CCTV and there were a few witnesses. Plod did nothing except send a letter saying they were not pursuing it. Total waste of time.

Can confirm, got hit by some kid no doubt unlicensed or uninsured who proceeded to drive off, foot to the floor through a residential area after hitting me on a roundabout.
Had just driven through a city centre with him right up my arse all the way, past no less than 5 blatantly obvious council operated cameras etc. Police... couldn't give half a fuck, never even got back to say they couldn't be arsed to give half a fuck either, just never heard anything despite repeatedly calling to ask if they'd bothered looking at camera footage ("will do sir, will do...")... gave up after a few weeks.

Not really sure why we bother paying for this bleeding mythical service?

Baggyman
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 09:21 - 04 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="skatefreak"]
Matt B wrote:

Can confirm, got hit by some kid no doubt unlicensed or uninsured who proceeded to drive off, foot to the floor through a residential area after hitting me on a roundabout.
Had just driven through a city centre with him right up my arse all the way, past no less than 5 blatantly obvious council operated cameras etc. Police... couldn't give half a fuck, never even got back to say they couldn't be arsed to give half a fuck either, just never heard anything despite repeatedly calling to ask if they'd bothered looking at camera footage ("will do sir, will do...")... gave up after a few weeks.

Not really sure why we bother paying for this bleeding mythical service?

The joys of a Subject Access Request under the Data Protection Act. You can submit one to the operators of the CCTV and they have to send you the footage. Simple process and sample letters here:

https://ico.org.uk/for-the-public/personal-information/
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 360 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2