Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

So general legal questions regarding L plates

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Untitled1995
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 11:38 - 27 Mar 2017    Post subject: So general legal questions regarding L plates Reply with quote

On a long ride down to Birmingham over the weekend my front L plate came off during the journey. I did not even notice it was missing until i got to my destination.

My back L plate is barely if even visible whatsoever (yes this needs changing i know). I had a police car behind me at the lights and they never pulled me.

So it got me curious can the police see if your a learner driver or not by checking your license plate?

According to the previous owner who i bought the motorcycle off he said that he never bothered with L plates and had done over 10,000 miles on the motorways on the bike without any problems just with a CBT.

Now that is just fucking stupid and i wouldn't stretch it that far as to riding on motorways.

So the question just out of curiosity can the police see if your a learner from checking your license plate? from what i can see all they should be able to see is that the vehicle is insured, taxed and has MOT.

Also what do the police do if your L plate comes off on the road?

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 11:44 - 27 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Points. You get points. Not worth the risk on your little lawnmower, you'll have to downgrade to bus/pedals when you get a few points.

No, they can't check. They can get insurance details and call them to ask who the insured party is, but I could be riding your bike on my TPO insurance as a test ride.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:45 - 27 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes and No

They can check who the registered owner is from the reg plate and yes they can check said registered owners licence status, but that doesn't mean that the registered owner is riding it Wink

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:49 - 27 Mar 2017    Post subject: Re: So general legal questions regarding L plates Reply with quote

Untitled1995 wrote:
So it got me curious can the police see if your a learner driver or not by checking your license plate?

As far as I know, the police can run a number plate check and find out information on the vehicle and information on the person to whom the vehicle is registered, a lot/some/ one/ ? cars have automatic scanners which go "ping" and alert car occupants if there is a flag / outstanding issue with vehicle.

I sometimes ride bikes with L plates, but I am not a learner, as it is not my bike, but I am riding it with permission of owner and or registered keeper, and I am insured to do so.

I'd guess they saw the tatty barely visible L plate, and couldn't be bothered. Wheras, I have been on the end of a stop by some policeman that could be very bothered indeed with all the time in the world, and it w as a pain in the neck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:16 - 27 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see no reason to disbelieve the guy claiming his did 10k miles without L plates including going on motorways. There aren't huge numbers of traffic plod patrolling our motorways so if you're going at the general speed of the traffic and don't do anything to draw attention to yourself then there's no reason why you might get pulled over.

Pretty sure they've got to phone the DVLA if they want to find out if you've got a license and what type of license you've got.

I always found that L plates only "fall off" with a little bit of assistance so assuming you've attached it securely in the first place then you shouldn't need to worry about what the police would do if your L plate comes off. Wink

In theory I suppose that if you're caught without one or both of your L plate then they shouldn't let you continue riding. And the only way to stop you from getting back on your bike as soon as they've driven away would be to get your bike recovered at your expense. Unless they're having a really bad day then you go out of your way to fail the attitude test then I'd expect them to be much more likely to give you a stern talking to and once you've given it the "yes sir no sir I'll never do it again sir" you'll be on your way hopefully without 3 points and a £60 fine for each L plate that's missing.

tl;dr do your test and get your full license. Wink

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:33 - 27 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having no L plate got mentioned to me by po po on two separate occasions.

Once after a crash (non fault) and the other after being caught speeding. Both times they turned a blind eye. Alas, the same couldn't be said for the speeding offence.

2012: R125 killed by white van. 2016 R125 killed by 30,000 miles of redline. Current: 2016 Kawasaki ER6f.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:37 - 27 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was both a policeman and a dick (there are a lot of dicks in the police force but if I was a copper, I'd be the biggest arsehole of all), I'd run the plates of any 125s I saw with no L-plates through the PNC while I was following them about far too closely trying to precipitate a road traffic violation. Because there aren't many people riding a 125 on a full licence. Balance of probability is that I get to go directly to ruining someones day without having to tailgate them for too long.

The offence is driving other than in accordance with your licence and it gets you 3 points and a £100 fixed penalty. It also loads your insurance more than normal speeding points.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:45 - 27 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
The offence is driving other than in accordance with your licence and it gets you 3 points and a £100 fixed penalty. It also loads your insurance more than normal speeding points.

PL10 Driving without L-plates?

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:49 - 27 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't Bodysocket tell us all that L plates were pointless, get done twice and couldn't pass his test for years because he'd get insta-banned for it?

mattyfattyboo...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:59 - 27 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got done when I was 17 on my scooter. On my way home from work, TrafPol pulled me, I was pretty unlucky. L Plate had snapped off on the way to work that morning, by time I finished at 5pm everywhere I could think of was shut so I just went home, about a mile from work. Just as I pulled into my street he pulled me. I had one on the front, explained the rear one snapped (about 25% of it was still screwed on) but he wasnt interested in my explanation.

£60 fine and 3 points Rolling Eyes Would be £100 now. Code was a LC20 IIRC, didnt make my insurance go up at all though, was just annoying doing my first 2 years in a car knowing if I got caught speeding it'd be bye bye licence.

Not worth the risk imo

matto
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 18:29 - 27 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 5-0 can see the registered keeper and all insured parties on a vehicle and are able to check with the DVLA for driving licenses at the roadside, including whether they have passed a CBT.

This is usually just on a tablet with some special app, they don't even have to use their radio and speak to a controller.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:31 - 27 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
The offence is driving other than in accordance with your licence and it gets you 3 points and a £100 fixed penalty.

If you had Traffic Copper levels of cu​nstablism, you might even try it on with "that's two counts, one for each plate", hoping that your victim will take it rather than seeing you in court and asking how they can be driving doubly otherwise than in accordance with a license.

Recluso
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:25 - 27 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Pretty sure they've got to phone the DVLA if they want to find out if you've got a license and what type of license you've got.

Nope. Input your name and DOB and your licence status (including type, entitlements and points) is all there on PNC.

So OP, the technical answer to your Q is 'no they can't check your licence based on your plate'. But the real answer is 'but with your personal details they can. They might check the R/K details first but if you're not the R/K they can still check whether or not you're legally entitled to ride a bike without L's. CBT's might not be trackable but provisional status sure is.

Last edited by Recluso on 10:54 - 28 Mar 2017; edited 1 time in total

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 20:52 - 27 Mar 2017    Post subject: Re: So general legal questions regarding L plates Reply with quote

Untitled1995 wrote:
So the question just out of curiosity can the police see if your a learner from checking your license plate? from what i can see all they should be able to see is that the vehicle is insured, taxed and has MOT.

No... because I'm not a learner.... and there-in lies an solution!
L-Plates are designed for temporary attachment.... which i another hint... they are only supposed to be needed for a few weeks not years... they denote a learner, supposedly 'practicing' for tests, not pissing about trying to dodge them for ever and a day, who, if they are competent enough a rider to survive long term L-Plating, is being a bit daft, when for the sake of the cost of a repeat CBT they could take tests and ditch the L's.. and never have to repeat a CBT and have a head start if higher licences are the intent.

Take the hint... your bike obviously don't want L-Plates... so go take the tests and make matter a non issue!

ANP cameras read the reg no and call up the registration details held by DVLA, which are just what's on the log-book, make, model, displacement, colour, keepers name and address etc. Though there is now a 'voluntary' entry filed on the V5 now for keepers licence no....

They don't really need to though, they an pull reg'd keeper's licence details from linked DVLA database from name and address, while PNC will offer them whatever details that police have data-based against either driver no, driver name, or vehicle reg, so anything from parking tickets to warrant for murder.

BUT, there's police car and there's police cars.

At one end of the spectrum you have the traffic coppa's cruisers, that are likely equipped with ANPR cameras as well as 'live-linked' on board computer with pretty high data-base access privileges. At the other you have the beat bobbies Panda car, that probably has little more than a radio, and officers can probably access better databases off their own smart-phone!

So something of a lottery, and likelihood is, hat 'most' cop cars aren't better equipped traffic cars, possibly dot even have ANPR, and if they do, general beat bobbies aren't that clued up on law in general, let alone more esoteric motoring law, and just rely n the generic system 'alerts' to take a second look..... unless as stink says they are in an arsehol mood.... and what they can get from in-car computers matters little, they only have to put in a search request over radio or smart-phone to a desk clerk who can run far ore elevated queries and offer them'facts' and 'advice' whther its worth a tug or not.

As far as I know....

But back to the top.... penalty is 2-points for each missing L, and or 3 for riding other than in accordance, whilst it's giving them obvious 'due cause' to pull you and see just how much they can add to the rapp sheet from uniqueteouse loud pipes and small plates, through whatever vehicle defects they can imagine as far as mudguards, and lights and stuff go, through to tyre tread depth.. which is a contentious one... cars are subject to a 1.6mm min, motorcycles 1mm, and mopeds merely 'visible' tread... with rather mutable suggestions over how much of the tyre that applies to.... and not unheard of for beat-bobbies to try issung tickets to bikes that don't meet what they think car req's should be!

Like loud pipes and small plates... why give them the opportunity, to tugg and start getting picky? TAKE TESTS! get a licence, ditch the plates, make it a non issue.... save some cash on repeat CBT's, (as well as lost L's!) get ahead on higher tests, and give yourself the option to carry pillions or use motorways legally if you want, and NOT have this sort of shit to worry about.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:01 - 27 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

dydey90 wrote:
Didn't Bodysocket tell us all that L plates were pointless, get done twice and couldn't pass his test for years because he'd get insta-banned for it?

I believe so, he also got points for running someone over on his road.

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:18 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Points and small fine. Potential hefty loading on insurance. It's an invitation for a cop in a bad mood to see what else you can be done for.

I've been caught with no reg plate or L plate and been let go to go search for them because I had license/insurance/cbt (or photocopies thereof under the seat) and generally passed the attitude test.

I've been pulled for avoiding a streak of oil in the road only to have a cop try to find something he could get me for. I don't think being pedantic about a 30 through a village with an unmarked police car mercilessly tailgating me did me much favours, neither did being bitterly sarcastic.

If you've got a loud can and found ways to tune or derestrict a 125 beyond 15bhp, no L plate can get you fucked right fast. If the bike is otherwise above board and there are remains of a damaged plate then it's probably not going to go too badly.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:26 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Re: So general legal questions regarding L plates Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
penalty is 2-points for each missing L, and or 3 for riding other than in accordance

Is that a "fact"?

What would the 2 points be for? What offence would you be committing by riding without one plate, or without both plates?

When I got tugged long about 2010, the first thing Ranty McRageface did was to check for my front L plate and then ask if I'd done "my training thing".

Untitled1995
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 12:09 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

talkToTheHat wrote:
Points and small fine. Potential hefty loading on insurance. It's an invitation for a cop in a bad mood to see what else you can be done for.

I've been caught with no reg plate or L plate and been let go to go search for them because I had license/insurance/cbt (or photocopies thereof under the seat) and generally passed the attitude test.

I've been pulled for avoiding a streak of oil in the road only to have a cop try to find something he could get me for. I don't think being pedantic about a 30 through a village with an unmarked police car mercilessly tailgating me did me much favours, neither did being bitterly sarcastic.

If you've got a loud can and found ways to tune or derestrict a 125 beyond 15bhp, no L plate can get you fucked right fast. If the bike is otherwise above board and there are remains of a damaged plate then it's probably not going to go too badly.

So the general idea is that if your caught without L plates but have a few spares under the seat and co operate that your usually let ride away back home to fit your Ls back on?

I do have a loud exhaust but its not the super loud ones that you see wankers riding around with on off road bikes with no helmets.

From first looks and sound you would think the bike was about a 400cc or something like that. Unless the cop was particularly into his bikes then i would think most going in the opposite direction would think it was not a learner bike.

Would i be banned if caught without L plates on a CBT? I have been banned previously from driving and i still have some hefty unspent convictions driving related Thumbs Up

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:21 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Untitled1995 wrote:

Would i be banned if caught without L plates on a CBT? I have been banned previously from driving and i still have some hefty unspent convictions driving related Thumbs Up

If you were to get pulled and they did do a licence check and your full history came back, then i suspect you would get the book thrown at you

I'd be doing everything in my power to be fully road legal if i were in your shoes

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:29 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would anyone need to carry spare L plates with them? Laughing

Just do your test, it's much less hassle then having a few spares under the seat,cooperating with pc plod and hoping that he's just going to let you ride away.

And given you've been banned already and have hefty unspent convictions then you're not going to pass the attitude test. Having your L plates under your seat rather than on the bike seems a really fucking stupid thing to push your luck with. Rolling Eyes

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:47 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Having your L plates under your seat rather than on the bike seems a really fucking stupid thing to push your luck with. Rolling Eyes

Yeah, I don't think hitting PC Plod with the Blue Peter defence (here's one I prepared earlier) is really going to wash

Either display your L plates correctly, or don't, the choice is yours, but you may pay the price if caught

Untitled1995
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 12:57 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fizzoid wrote:
Ste wrote:
Having your L plates under your seat rather than on the bike seems a really fucking stupid thing to push your luck with. Rolling Eyes

Yeah, I don't think hitting PC Plod with the Blue Peter defence (here's one I prepared earlier) is really going to wash

Either display your L plates correctly, or don't, the choice is yours, but you may pay the price if caught

What is the price if caught though? will 6 points get you a ban if you have already been banned?

I have no points currently but still have driving convictions that are unspent. A good few.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:15 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Untitled1995 wrote:
From first looks and sound you would think the bike was about a 400cc or something like that.

You're kidding nobody but yourself. A 125 with a shouty exhaust sounds exactly like a 125 with a shouty exhaust.

It costs £113.50 all-in to do theory, mod 1 and mod 2 on your own 125. The theory test is good for 2 years, so it's really just £90.50 to get an A1 license.

Being caught without an L plate is 3 points, a minimum of £100 and another (or "another") conviction to declare.

It's really not a tricky decision. If you're planning to stay on your 125 for a while, you might as well just do the tests.

Untitled1995 wrote:
I have been banned previously from driving

Yes, yes, for doing 320mph in your rocket car. You said. You never showed, but you said.

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:29 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rode my CG for nearly 2 years with no L plates, no kittens were harmed.

Maybe I didnt get pulled because they felt sorry for me?

Raffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:30 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Untitled1995 wrote:
So the general idea is that if your caught without L plates but have a few spares under the seat and co operate that your usually let ride away back home to fit your Ls back on?

He didn't post that he carries spare 'L' plates under the seat.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 29 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2