Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Halfords Advanced 8 piece Screwdriver Set £6.75

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Found on the 'Net
View previous topic : View next topic  

BillyJ
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 21:31 - 27 Mar 2017    Post subject: Halfords Advanced 8 piece Screwdriver Set £6.75 Reply with quote

Normally £15
Reduced to £7.50
10% off with code: B17TOOLS01
Total price: £6.75

I love the Halfords pro range, the tools are really good.
I've misused their tools and abused their returns policy with no hassle too Very Happy

https://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/tools/hand-tools/halfords-advanced-8-piece-screwdriver-set

Source:
https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/halfords-advanced-6-8-piece-screwdriver-set-lifetime-guarantee-was-15-now-6-75-with-2646824

Last edited by BillyJ on 21:40 - 27 Mar 2017; edited 1 time in total

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:39 - 27 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can get the Philips heads as well as the posidrive for the same price Thumbs Up

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:45 - 27 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code appears to work on any hand tools.

Haven't tried anything else.

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:05 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and f your debit card is registered with Quidco, you also get some cashback when you pay instore.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:35 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of this plus the use of my trade card and they'll end up paying me!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:43 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:

Do a Mark Thomas and set a stall up outside Halfords selling screwdrivers for £9.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:56 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 3/8 and 1/2 socket sets contain nothing but 12pt sockets, they're decently priced but is a 12pt socket set worth buying?

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:17 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
The 3/8 and 1/2 socket sets contain nothing but 12pt sockets, they're decently priced but is a 12pt socket set worth buying?

Yes, makes hard to reach bolts easier to get at.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:06 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a set of both this morning. Decent quality as usual.

For those wanting a set of each though you might be better looking at this 30pc set:

https://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/tools/tool-kits/halfords-advanced-screwdriver-bit-set

Doesn't show it on the website but this set is currently half price (normally just under £40 and contains much of the same drivers plus more.

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:11 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:

No. 12 point sockets are much more likely to slip and round off on stubborn fasteners.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 12:30 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I nicked a set off of my dad and bought the other set and the star drivers in a 2 for £20 a while back.

They are good drivers, not as good as my Wera ones but they were a fraction of the price.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:03 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know. I've been told before but didn't now if halfords would be any better.

Don't turn up buying their 50pc spanner set with only a tail bag because their carrying case is the size of my house. Stored all the spanners in a carry-a-bag and going to have to bus it to get the case back another day, oops.

Commute with a full tank of fuel, chains and the tools should be fun. Call me a commuting mobile mechanic.

On the downside my socket set was "ready" but has been cancelled. Turns out they only had one and it was in another customers basket. Said they'll call me when they can but I'll jus reserve it again at another one tonight unless they pull it together. Arse.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:10 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuck sakes, I'm going to cry into a corner.

Reserved this spanner set earlier in a rush before work. Priced up the spanners I needed to buy on their own and come to the same price as the set and still had some left over, no brainer I figured.

Spent ages staring at it through the glass cabinet wondering how I was going to get it home after work. Anyway, I purchase it and go back to work starting at the case and all the spanners. Commuted home with the spanners and only now, at home, do I realise that they're not the advanced range and have "chrome vanadium" written on them.

No lifetime guarantee, balls.

I'm not sure if I've just paid a very high price for a set of shit spanners.

On the other hand I now have a complete set that should long fulfil my very limited and occasional mechanical use.

Seems I'm not the only one that has been stung since some reviews state "lifetime gurantee" and they've probably also realised either after writing the review or when they've tried to return one, crafty. Sure it doesn't say advanced anywhere but seems I'm not the only one that's been had.

I'm so exhausted it's not worth the fight to attempt to return them. It was someone else's money, gift, that I used but I wish I'd realised before.

Baggyman
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 22:40 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:

No lifetime guarantee, balls.

Personally I have never understood that. What can go wrong with a spanner that would just not be caused by serious abuse?

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:49 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baggyman wrote:
Personally I have never understood that. What can go wrong with a spanner that would just not be caused by serious abuse?

Wear and tear on the ring end meaning eventually useless hence lifetime warrenty would be nice to use to get a replacement? I'm guessing here.

I say balls to no warrenty because I genuinely, as others may have, believed they where buying a complete Advanced set with warrenty, to fall back on if needed, for a very good price. Realising they're not just takes the shine of it and makes me wonder why I wasn't more awake. Seems a high price for possibly not what I figured I was getting.

In terms of what they're made out of:

Halfords advanced - chrome vanadium steel
Regular spanner from this set - Chrome vanadium

Any major difference?

So long as the set I've just purchased isn't cheese I won't be all that bothered since half the "advanced" stuff I've got I've lost the receipts for anyway. Who can keep a piece of paper alive and intact for life? Laughing

groovylee
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:37 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

now with 15% off as well, so £6.37 for the screwdriver set Smile

Current - 2002 Aprilia RSV1000R & 1999 Kawasaki ZX6R
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tigerlea
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 14:56 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

groovylee wrote:
now with 15% off as well, so £6.37 for the screwdriver set Smile

Damnit
I just bought a load of tools yesterday at 10% off Mad

Mawsley
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 00:26 - 31 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

goto10 wrote:
recman wrote:

Do a Mark Thomas and set a stall up outside Halfords selling screwdrivers for £9.

I don't believe the manager is a grown man.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:39 - 31 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tigerlea wrote:
Damnit

Agreed, I jumped the gun a bit also and have not won much as a result, yet.

Well, I saved a fiver on that big spanner set but lost out on three pound savings on the socket set because the shop I reserved it at ballsed the order up and didn't discount the one I did pay for to the price I should have purchased it at, a whole three pound overspent.. much sadness.

3/8 and 1/2 socket set is tempting but I'll probably wait for whenever there is a next time and let my bank account recover between now and then.

He says. Laughing

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:31 - 31 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
3/8 and 1/2 socket set is tempting

If this is just for working on the bike then 1/2" drive is massive overkill. I use a really good quality 1/4 drive set for most things on the bike, and a 3/8 occasionally. The problem with a physically bigger 1/2" is that it's so much easier to over-tighten and strip things.

The only time the heavy duty 1/2" stuff comes out is a breaker bar for axles and the rattle gun for front sprocket nuts. I have a 1/2" torque wrench for tightening back up.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:01 - 31 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt B wrote:
NJD wrote:
3/8 and 1/2 socket set is tempting

If this is just for working on the bike then 1/2" drive is massive overkill. I use a really good quality 1/4 drive set for most things on the bike, and a 3/8 occasionally. The problem with a physically bigger 1/2" is that it's so much easier to over-tighten and strip things.

The only time the heavy duty 1/2" stuff comes out is a breaker bar for axles and the rattle gun for front sprocket nuts. I have a 1/2" torque wrench for tightening back up.

I agree. The last and first time I serviced my brake pads, F&R, I used one of them Aldi workzone 1/4 ratchets and a 1 pound Halfords, of the correct size, deep socket that I got from a carboot and once nail varnished up, for marker, they've not come loose so the 1/4 socket set I just purchased is a little flash compared to what can really get the job done.

When I had to loosen my axle recently I just used the ten pound Halfords advanced spanner I got and used that to tighten it back up also, not deadded yet.

I asked originally because, as said, wasn't sure if a well made 12pt was any better than advice I'd been given in the past. Reason I'd be tempted now is because of the price. £21 works out cheaper than the ratchet, if I ever needed it, at regular price plus all the sockets for bonus points. 3/8 because complete set, yo.

Guess I'm just tempted to splash the cash.

I'm a fan of under powering myself with tools to be honest because if I'd of gone at the axle with a breaker bar, like I was going to, instead of a spanner I'd probably have rounded of a fucked my rear end by now because I was half asleep when I did the job and ended up trying to tighten instead of loosen the axle. I got there in the end but I can be a numpty. Laughing

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:31 - 01 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:

Yes but ideally you will have access to both. 6 sided and 12pt. Everyone should have access to 1/2". I tend to miss out on 3/8 and go to 1/4 for sub 8mm threads.

I just saw your other post on spanners. Don't waste cash on those, just get some Kennedy spanner sets, even Senator will do the job to suit your needs. I abuse the crap out of them in industry and they take it. You will hammer them, bend them and chop them up to suit your needs. Once you have what you need you may have to mod one, you can just replace that single one as you go.

I have also used workzone tools from Aldi at work quite successfully. They did a small 1/4 set that went up to 14mm that was 6 point for £15. I hammer the crap out of it and it works just fine. In fact my most abused tools that lasted were cheapies.

If you want to 'invest' in good kit, save if for stuff with moving parts, ratchet spanners, ratchets or precision kit etc.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:48 - 01 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long since purchased the big spanner set. Not overly joyed, as above, that it wasn't Halfords Advanced like I figured it was but in truth the cost of 4 spanners, picked at random, of the Advanced range equals the price of the entire set. I don't really need the Advanced and so since they're going to spend more time gathering dust than getting used it's probably not the worst purchase I've ever made. Plus I've lost the receipts for all the old Advanced spanners I had pre this thread so the extra money I spent wasn't worth it anyway in terms of using "warrenty." Can't feel the build quality difference in terms of weight between normal vs advanced side by side. Bit pricey but I paid with someone else's dollah so all is well.

Out of interest have I been given a wonkey 1/4 ratchet in the set I purchased?

Looking head on at the ratchet switch I flick it to the right to loosen and the left to tighten. The workzone ratchet, as I'd expect, is the opposite way. Are all ratchets not supposed to be flick the switch to the left to loosen and the right to tighten.

It's not really an issue but I can't decide if the mechanism inside has been fitted backwards, or wrong, or if not all ratchets loosen and tighten the same way.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:16 - 01 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:

Wear and tear on the ring

Thing you may bee using them wrong Embarassed

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:32 - 03 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you BillyJ.Bought myself a nice set of 1/2" drive socket and driver set Thumbs Up

Always have a 'Plan B'
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 18 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Found on the 'Net All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1