Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Engineer for a MotoGP team

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Arcane1729 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:33 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its easy.

Just drop Lin Jarvis an email (Lin.Jarvis@yamaha.motor-racing.com) Let him know your're super keen to be an engineer.

Maybe link him to a couple of your workshop threads so he can review your experience.

They're always desperate to attract talent into the motorsport industry, as so few people seem to want to work in it.

Rolling Eyes

groovylee
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:35 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't bother.

its hard work, and you actually have to know one end of a bike from the other Rolling Eyes

i'm still saying troll.

Current - 2002 Aprilia RSV1000R & 1999 Kawasaki ZX6R
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:53 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

groovylee wrote:
i'm still saying troll.

I'm beginning to agree, either that or he's off his meds again

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:55 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this thread isn't proof Arcane is a troll then i don't know what is......

....... just do one

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:56 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reputable engineering degree first step. Helps if it has a Motorsport bias although a couple of the guys I studied aeronautical with went on to Motorsport so not essential and there are many other disciplines. There are also post grad Motorsport courses out there. It's a hard shift and often not for stellar wages.

That said I also vote troll.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 09:15 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think maybe anything more complicated than putting beans on a shelf or saying "Do you want fries with that?" might be outside of your skillset judging by your workshop threads.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Baggyman
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 12:23 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Re: Engineer for a MotoGP team Reply with quote

Arcane1729 wrote:
So...I think racing is a little too late for me Crying or Very sad (kidding)
so what about the guys behind the scenes who design bikes and are involved in creating prototypes and all this.
Anybody have any info about this? how do I become one of these people- looks like a very cool job.
I just would like an idea of the route of a typical engineer...

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

you know you can. Build something on your kitchen table then take it to all the race teams you can find. Don't take no for an answer. Anyone who tells you to get lost must be a fascist so tell them so in no uncertain terms. They will respect that.

Start with the motocross teams.

Pass the popcorn
Arcane1729 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:59 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Re: Engineer for a MotoGP team Reply with quote

Baggyman wrote:
Build something on your kitchen sink then take it to all the race teams you can find. Don't take no for an answer.

FTFY.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:55 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcane1729 wrote:
kraggem wrote:
Reputable engineering degree first step. Helps if it has a Motorsport bias although a couple of the guys I studied aeronautical with went on to Motorsport so not essential and there are many other disciplines. There are also post grad Motorsport courses out there. It's a hard shift and often not for stellar wages.

That said I also vote troll.

You reckon I can switch from a Bachelors in my subject to an engineering masters? I did mostly pure stuff, not applied and of the applied not much was physicsy. I was very good at Mechanics at A level though and also did pretty good in the physics A level.

Guys. Rolling Eyes I didn't have a Haynes Manual. Did you not see the stuff I did with absolutely no fuss when I did get one? I didn't realise that was pivotal. A lot of practical issues I've had also can be pointed to lack of tools. There are some problems you just can't make progress on without the right tools.

Baggyman wrote:

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

you know you can. Build something on your kitchen table then take it to all the race teams you can find. Don't take no for an answer. Anyone who tells you to get lost must be a fascist so tell them so in no uncertain terms. They will respect that.

Start with the motocross teams.

Pass the popcorn

Laughing Laughing

This was the engine btw.

https://www.ebay.com/p/50cc-CDI-2-Stroke-Petrol-Gas-Engine-Motorized-Bicycle-Bike-Motor-Kit-48-Cm3/1972920726

I got it working you know till a stud holding it onto the frame snapped engine jerked and half came off frame and ripped spark plug cap off the plug

You really can't be fucking serious, no you can't just switch from a fucking Maths degree to an engineering degree, are you clinically retarded

And do you really think Moto GP bikes come with Haynes manuals

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:16 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcane1729 wrote:
rpsmith79 wrote:

You really can't be fucking serious, no you can't just switch from a fucking Maths degree to an engineering degree, are you clinically retarded

Why is that a ridiculous idea? People have switched from way more different disciplines.

rpsmith79 wrote:

And do you really think Moto GP bikes come with Haynes manuals

??? You seem to have missed the point about tools and problem solving.

I have done a engineering degree, i was taking things apart and putting them back together when i was in nappies, and i never required a Haynes manual to do it, you clearly have zero mechanical aptitude in your entire body if you can't even look at a situation and have to resort to Google/Haynes Manual/BCF for the slightest hint of what to do next

A pure applied Maths course has little grounds for a mechanical engineering degree, let alone a motorsport biased course, especially if you can't even grasp the basics of spannering

Baggyman
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 08:12 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcane1729 wrote:
I was very good at Mechanics at A level though

I larffed so hard I nearly shat myself Embarassed

What happened since then? Did you receive a severe blow to the head or was it the anal probing during your alien abduction?

Btw, the proper description of anything "working until..." or "working except..." is "not working"

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:18 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously kid, if you're already at Uni, then aren't you a little old for the whole "when I grow up I want to be an astronaut" thing.

I'm sure you're mum told you you could be anything you wanted to be, but trust me, you can't be this.

Stick with the pure maths, it'll be very useful for...er... spending the next 6 years at university doing your PHD, and then going on to teach maths, at university Thumbs Up

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:24 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcane1729 wrote:
rpsmith79 wrote:

you can't even look at a situation and have to resort to Google/Haynes Manual/BCF for the slightest hint of what to do next

Specific example please. One I should have figured out on my own but had to ask or use some form of manual

rpsmith79 wrote:

A pure applied Maths course has little grounds for a mechanical engineering degree, let alone a motorsport biased course, especially if you can't even grasp the basics of spannering

But I can though... and I said people have done two unrelated ones- your argument seems to be- they're unrelated and that's not really true anyway is it

Specific examples, erm, let me think.........................

.................... how about the multi-page thread on how to drill out a stud

How do you think us folk managed in the days before the interwebs, we didn't/couldn't Google said things, we used our brains to look at said problem and work it the fuck out

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:43 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkeypony wrote:
then going on to teach maths, at university Thumbs Up

In before 'one of my students has a 6 instead of a 7 in his answer, I'm not sure what to do about it'.

On either here, or www.shitteacherswhoshouldneverhaveajobinteachingchatforums.com

Holdawayt
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 09:29 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Arcane.

Don't listen to these meanies, they don't believe in you like I do. I've always said "if I think I can, I can". Just send a few CVs to the big teams (no point wasting your time with the lesser teams) and they're bound to send some offers your way. Think upwards of £40k a year for doing something that comes naturally to you anyway.
Failing that why not try the F1 teams? They're only putting wheels on a car, how hard could it be?

Tom.

Baggyman
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 10:03 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baggyman wrote:

was it the anal probing during your alien abduction?

Arcane1729 wrote:

It was 3 examinable modules

That is still a serious amount of anal probing! Christ! you make it sound like an A-Level

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:14 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcane1729 wrote:

Rubbish example. Drillbits were weak- only barrier basically.

You mean the drill bits that cost you £70................. those drill bits were weak were they Shocked

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:18 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcane1729 wrote:
The spirit of the thread was: Hmmm I wonder how somebody gets into the motorsport industry... followed by I wonder if I could and what route from my current position.
I never said it wasn't very hard and I never said the chances for me were not very small- I just wanted to know if so, how so

To answer this question, probably from a very early age, and probably heavily involved in motorsport from a very early age, probably built several cars/bikes/engines from a very early age, and probably planned all their education from an early age to achieve their dream job as a motorsport engineer

Realistically you have as much change becoming a racing driver as you do a motorsport engineer if you are only just deciding you want to do it now

Baggyman
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 10:20 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:
Arcane1729 wrote:

Rubbish example. Drillbits were weak- only barrier basically.

You mean the drill bits that cost you £70................. those drill bits were weak were they Shocked

Today's maths homework is to add up all the money Arcane has spent on tools in the last couple of months and then to research how nice a bike that would have bought him.

Extra credits for:
- factoring in the reduction in value of his cbr due to his loving ministrations.
- adding in the additional costs of funding this through a 27%APR loser's credit card
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 1 day ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2