Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

got hit & run, not a potato, what do?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Tierbirdy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:17 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

No mention of anything unusual on there. Though I dont know where it would say it, theres not really a section for it?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:34 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

God dammit.

Was that using the V5C number, or just the reg and make?

Tierbirdy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 23:44 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was just make/reg. Tried again with V5c number, it showed a few more options like tax payments etc, but nothing about being a write off still.

Does this work in my favour for them not knowing its a cat c? Razz

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:06 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who's the TP insurer?

If it's a general car insurer they're very rarely interested in salvage motorcycles as they don't have backhander deals going with the local salvage monkeys. Chances are, not certain but chances, they'll want nothing to do with the salvage which means they'll never need to see the V5.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tierbirdy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:11 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Who's the TP insurer?

If it's a general car insurer they're very rarely interested in salvage motorcycles as they don't have backhander deals going with the local salvage monkeys. Chances are, not certain but chances, they'll want nothing to do with the salvage which means they'll never need to see the V5.

MID says "Admiral - Elephant". Got their policy number too, may well follow up with a bit of pestering and see whats going on.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:17 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good. I don't believe they do their own motorcycle policies; I believe they just have a crap comparison site offshoot comparing other brands.

Bad. Admiral are terrible to deal with in claim circumstances.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tierbirdy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 13:01 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terrible in what way exactly? Anything I need to be forewarned of?

Going to call them once Ive got hold of my crime ref number from the police and updated them with other drivers reg number too as I dont think theyve got it yet, unless the accident management company have been in touch with them? Probably not, but they did ask for all the police details.

owl10
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 16:13 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful - if they didn't know it's a Cat C (and if they wouldn't have taken your money if the did know) they may get twitchy about whether you're even insured at all.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:39 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

They'd void his insurance because he paid too much for it, you say?

Tierbirdy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 16:52 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is something that had crossed my mind and concerns me, I had no idea the vehicle was a cat c when I bought it (arent dealers required to tell you that?) and insured it as such, then 2 weeks later that shows up on the V5c. Will this potentially bite me in the ass?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:57 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's the box for you to declare if its been written off? Dealers have been known to lie about bikes, that's why you should always do your own checks. More peace of mind I guess Smile

owl10
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 17:14 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inb4 "Our statistics indicate Cat C vehicles present a higher level of risk...."

Tierbirdy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 17:14 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea, its been like 18 months sine I bought the bike and did the insurance paperwork. Though I have a feeling they do ask if its ever been written off... I never even thought of HPI checks or anything like that because I assumed from a dealer it probably wouldnt be stolen, and at so old there wouldnt be any outstanding finance Embarassed I guess Im too naive and gullible, this is the first vehicle Ive bought that wasnt either bought from someone I know, or a < £500 autotrader special.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:09 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly wouldn't worry about it. At worst they'll use it as an excuse to make you a low(er) offer.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:27 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
I honestly wouldn't worry about it. At worst they'll use it as an excuse to make you a low(er) offer.

This. But likely won't even get close enough to sniff. If it was their own insured vehicle they'd probably care more.

As for other comments on voiding or not being insured etc - ignore them, totally irrelevant.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:49 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tierbirdy wrote:
I had no idea the vehicle was a cat c when I bought it (arent dealers required to tell you that?)

Roadworthy. Fit for the purpose sold. They aren't required to say anything about it, but anything that they do say must be truthful (be sure to ask and get answers in writing).

Beyond that, it's caveat emptor.

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:28 - 31 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Tierbirdy wrote:
I had no idea the vehicle was a cat c when I bought it (arent dealers required to tell you that?)

Roadworthy. Fit for the purpose sold. They aren't required to say anything about it, but anything that they do say must be truthful (be sure to ask and get answers in writing).

Beyond that, it's caveat emptor.

I took this from Autotrader's website, and it's about cars, but could be relevant?

Quote:
Should the person who sold me the vehicle have said it is in Cat C?

If you bought the vehicle from a dealer then they should have told you its insurance status. You may be able to make a claim against them.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:57 - 31 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't imagine why. There's no statute, regulation or even a code of practice that I'm aware of that requires voluntarily disclosing a single thing about a vehicle, whether as a trade or private seller.

You can always squeak and see if your wheel gets greased, but I'd count this as caveat emptor.

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:04 - 31 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen it quoted as a violation of:
'Regulation 6 of the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008'

Quote:

Misleading omissions

6.—(1) A commercial practice is a misleading omission if, in its factual context, taking account of the matters in paragraph (2)

(a)the commercial practice omits material information,

(b)the commercial practice hides material information,

(c)the commercial practice provides material information in a manner which is unclear, unintelligible, ambiguous or untimely, or

(d)the commercial practice fails to identify its commercial intent, unless this is already apparent from the context,

and as a result it causes or is likely to cause the average consumer to take a transactional decision he would not have taken otherwise

Going by that, you could claim you wouldn't have bought a Cat C had it been declared by the trader

How much that holds water though, I don't know

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:32 - 31 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's... a really good citation. I am now aware of such a regulation. Nice one. Thumbs Up

Tierbirdy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 13:32 - 31 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really handy to know for future reference! Though I think it might be pushing my luck and a bit late to try and get anything out of the dealers for it!

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:54 - 31 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tierbirdy wrote:
Really handy to know for future reference! Though I think it might be pushing my luck and a bit late to try and get anything out of the dealers for it!

See what offer you get from the insurers. Start haggling with them. If they mention that it has to be lower because its been written off, ask them what it would be worth if it weren't. Invoice the dealer for the difference - that's your quantifiable loss.

Tierbirdy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:55 - 15 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right so time for an update, after lots of silence, and then the 3rd party insurers playing alternate rounds of ignoring it and hoping it goes away, and saying "nah mate, wasnt us, our driver says he wasnt even there at the time what you on about?" then getting the trump card "BUT WAIT, heres some video!" they sent round an engineer to inspect it.

Engineer valuation says its worth £950, which frankly I consider a measly sum and its nowhere near enough to buy a replacement bike. So I get ready to haggle and demand more. Before I get a chance to do that, my company phone me up and say the other party has now admitted full liability and sent me a payment in the post, and that the report states the vehicle is a cat B write off.

So next questions, which because I was caught off guard my potato lizard brain didnt have time to ask at the time, what if I want to haggle and get more? £950 will get me 2/3rds of fuck all on autotrader/ebay/gumtree/whatever. and secondly, reading up about cat B it seems the vehicle cant (or shouldnt) be put back on the road... except theres no way near enough damage to say the vehicle is an unsafe write off, and I vaguely recall there being some kind of exemption/loophole for motorbikes and Cat B status?

What do I do now? I need some Borg wisdom!

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 23:20 - 15 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been through a claim like this, I'm just freestyling.

What I will opine is that "Cat B" means nothing, and never has. What matters is that they're saying that it's non-repairable, which does (now) mean something.

In practice it means that: the DVLA won't issue a new V5C for it (feel free to ask them on what statutory basis); and that insurers might not touch it.

You can keep riding it so long as it's insured, roadworthy and has a current MOT. No need to get it re-MOT'd (unless that's a condition of your insurance).

Practically speaking though, non-repairable means you'll be parting it out.

On the price, what what bikes are you comparing it against? Previously written off, remember.

If you're not happy with £950, or with it being written off as non-repairable, then get back in touch and argue the toss. As always, your first contact should be a complaint, clearly worded as such.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:36 - 15 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What bike is it? I believe the normal process is to provide examples showing your bike's worth more (autotrader adverts etc.). Unfortunately Cat B's are worthless now Sad The dvla won't issue V5c's anymore so that effectively relegates them to track use. Cat B suggests frame damage, but as noted by many people they seem to use whatever category they feel like.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 318 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5