Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

got hit & run, not a potato, what do?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:40 - 15 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
What bike is it? I believe the normal process is to provide examples showing your bike's worth more (autotrader adverts etc.). Unfortunately Cat B's are worthless now Sad The dvla won't issue V5c's anymore so that effectively relegates them to track use. Cat B suggests frame damage, but as noted by many people they seem to use whatever category they feel like.

600cc yam? Thundercat, R6 or Fazer.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 00:03 - 16 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rather suspect that the assessment goes thusly:

Is it an old bike? YES
Does the company I work for want to retain it and flip it for profit? NO
Do they want to end up paying out for it again? NO
Fvck it then, "non repairable". Corrvpt svcm, and so on.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:27 - 16 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
M.C wrote:
What bike is it? I believe the normal process is to provide examples showing your bike's worth more (autotrader adverts etc.). Unfortunately Cat B's are worthless now Sad The dvla won't issue V5c's anymore so that effectively relegates them to track use. Cat B suggests frame damage, but as noted by many people they seem to use whatever category they feel like.

600cc yam? Thundercat, R6 or Fazer.

Well that helps us come up with a value Confused

Rogerborg wrote:
I rather suspect that the assessment goes thusly:

Is it an old bike? YES
Does the company I work for want to retain it and flip it for profit? NO
Do they want to end up paying out for it again? NO
Fvck it then, "non repairable". Corrvpt svcm, and so on.

I'm wondering the same, would be interesting to see the report and/or photos of the damage.

Tierbirdy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 18:09 - 16 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a 2003 FZS600 Fazer. 32k on the clock. I paid £1700 for it, obviously whilst it would be nice to get that much back for it I know I probably wont, but if I could at least get something reasonable like £12-1500 so I can actually buy a replacement bike that would be nice.

Theres literally a single FZS600 being sold on eBay for £900 "spares/repairs", the rest are all around the £1200 with a few even asking the ridiculous price of £2k+

Ive had a chat with my claims company, theyve said theyll argue for more money if I send them proof the bike is worth more, adverts showing that etc. So of course it would be VERY NAUGHTY if I got a few friends to start making free Gumtree ads for similar age. mileage and condition Fazers... and I absolutely wouldnt even consider doing that.

As for pics of mine,

https://i.imgur.com/U1QP7Xp.png
https://i.imgur.com/N0eQ9o9.jpg

Thats pretty much the main damage, exhaust took the brunt of it and acted as a crumple zone. Other damage includes the obligatory bent handlebars, and the mounting brackets for the front fairing are so bent that you cant turn the handlebars full lock.

So all things considered, not actually THAT much damage, too much for an insurance company to bother wanting to deal with, but certainly not a cat B write off.

Ive taken the front fairing off and put some new Renthal bars on it, it rides perfectly fine, no wonky frame or forks or anything. My plan is to just turn it into a naked, put a nice single round HID headlight on it rather than the godawful Fazer stock headlights anyway.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:45 - 16 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely argue over the value, £950's a joke for a Fazer. The damage might be more difficult, I had two engineers come and view my bike (from each side), I don't know how much they would charge and if an independent inspection would even be allowed.

Your bike's basically worthless now, it'll have to be broken/track bike if you sell it on Sad Only good thing might be avoiding the inflated prices they've started charging for salvage in some instances, so if it was a Cat' C/D they could want a lot for it (a bike like that shouldn't be more than a couple hundred).

Edit: you should be able to get a copy of the engineers report.

Tierbirdy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 19:51 - 16 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBH Im not overly fussed about cat B/C/whatever as I doubt Ill be selling the bike anyway, I'm overly attached to it and dont want to part with it. Plus it would make an ideal backup/daily hack around London that wont matter when it gets caked in winter road salt, or inevitably gets SMIDSY'd again or stolen by #BAKLAFF. Unless of course it being considered a Cat B means I cant insure it or something like that, which would make it a major pain in the ass. Im not really sure how all this works, never been through this before and hopefully never again.

Maybe Im just being greedy, I want to keep my Fazer but I also want to use this as an opportunity to buy a new bike too... Razz I quite fancy a shiny new FZ1.

They haven't shown me the engineers report, the chap who came round was supposedly an independent one, not one from Elephant/Admiral, or my claims people, forgot the name of the company. Not sure if paying for a 2nd opinion out of my own pocket would be of any benefit, or if ID just be better off showing them the other Fazers on eBay/Biketrader/Gumtree etc that are going for double what theyve said its worth.

I got a letter from Elephant today as well, saying theyre going to pay me £950 "without predjudice" which according to google is legal mumbo jumbo for "we're gonna pay you out, but we're not admitting liability". But surely if theyre paying me out... theyre admitting liability? Why would they pay me if they thought they werent liable? Thinking

Last edited by Tierbirdy on 19:55 - 16 May 2017; edited 2 times in total

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:53 - 16 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tierbirdy wrote:
Ive had a chat with my claims company

And did you raise a complaint with them, worded as such?

I cannot uber-emphasise the importance of doing this now, rather than at the point where negotiations break down.

The amount of money is a detail that you can haggle over. The non-repairable ("Cat-B") assessment, I'd be describing as "fraudulent" every time I referred to it. Unless you're concealing something, that bike is clearly repairable.

Tierbirdy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:00 - 16 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Tierbirdy wrote:
Ive had a chat with my claims company

And did you raise a complaint with them, worded as such?

I cannot uber-emphasise the importance of doing this now, rather than at the point where negotiations break down.

The amount of money is a detail that you can haggle over. The non-repairable ("Cat-B") assessment, I'd be describing as "fraudulent" every time I referred to it. Unless you're concealing something, that bike is clearly repairable.

Nope thats going to be my next step, a complaint along with proof of it being worth more and a complaining its clearly not a cat B.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:18 - 16 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tierbirdy wrote:
TBH Im not overly fussed about cat B/C/whatever as I doubt Ill be selling the bike anyway, I'm overly attached to it and dont want to part with it. Plus it would make an ideal backup/daily hack around London that wont matter when it gets caked in winter road salt, or inevitably gets SMIDSY'd again or stolen by #BAKLAFF. Unless of course it being considered a Cat B means I cant insure it or something like that, which would make it a major pain in the ass. Im not really sure how all this works, never been through this before and hopefully never again.

Maybe Im just being greedy, I want to keep my Fazer but I also want to use this as an opportunity to buy a new bike too... Razz I quite fancy a shiny new FZ1.

They haven't shown me the engineers report, the chap who came round was supposedly an independent one, not one from Elephant/Admiral, or my claims people, forgot the name of the company. Not sure if paying for a 2nd opinion out of my own pocket would be of any benefit, or if ID just be better off showing them the other Fazers on eBay/Biketrader/Gumtree etc that are going for double what theyve said its worth.

I got a letter from Elephant today as well, saying theyre going to pay me £950 "without predjudice" which according to google is legal mumbo jumbo for "we're gonna pay you out, but we're not admitting liability". But surely if theyre paying me out... theyre admitting liability? Why would they pay me if they thought they werent liable? Thinking

Had the same thing (cheque without predjudice), in my case they accepted 75% liability and wouldn't go any higher, but having the cheque meant when they wanted 25% back I told them to f**k off. Hopefully you won't have to go through that.

Not sure on the insurance situation with Cat B bikes, I believe like most things with insurers it's only an issue come claim time. Just keep in mind if it's recorded as a Cat B (you might get lucky and they'll forget), you won't get much for it so careful what you spend on the bike. Also check you're able to retain the salvage, although I wouldn't pay anything for a Cat B, you're doing them a favour Wink

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:26 - 16 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option if you feel adventurous:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YAMAHA-FAZER-FZS-600-1999-MODEL-MAIN-FRAME-WITH-V5c-LOG-BOOK-/232284808075?hash=item361540e38b:g:H1UAAOSwB-1Y2Ttu
Laughing

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:16 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible to argue the cat B status,

when I got knocked off the ZZR the amount of fairing / exhaust damage would have made it a cat D or C due to cost, I told the other chap's insurance when they said it was the value of the bike to repair it that I knew I could get the panels off e-bay and repair it for less.

got the bike's value and it wasn't written off, fixed it myself.

Clearly if slapping a new set of bars on it makes it ridable then it's not a Cat B - could you fix it for £900?

Might be worth putting to them that you don't agree that it's a write off, you're aware a dealer repair would be more than the bike's value but the money offered would cover a second hand fairing from e-bay that you can fit yourself, however, you would need the bike to not be classed as a write off.

To write off the bike requires you to find a bike in the same / similar MECHANICAL condition to be reliable, to do this to avoid absence from work would require purchasing from a dealer for that mechanical back up and warranty a dealer would provide, but unfortunately higher prices.

Of course, the above is complete bollocks, but might make them re-consider the writing off aspect or put up more cash.

how long have you had it?
Still got the invoice?
If it's only about a year I'd be arguing that, yes, you've had some fair use, but it's a mechanically sound bike that has been reliable and vital to you getting to work and that their low offer would result in you chancing it on something that's in worse mechanical condition.

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:36 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to know why it's been declared a Cat B, and not a Cat C

https://www.thebikeinsurer.co.uk/motorbike-insurance-guides/insurance-for-motorbike-write-offs/

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:47 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't put too much credence in an article that's chock full of insurance cartel lies. There has never been any statutory or regulatory requirement to destroy A/B vehicles, or a prohibition on selling them, or on putting them back on the road, or even any (statutory/regulatory) acknowledgement of A/B/C/D as a real status.

There was and is an industry code of conduct, but it is just that: a code for their conduct. It's not binding on anyone else.

What matters is the non-repairable status, which should mean what it says, and not "don't want to pay out on that bike again". The only thing that it actually means is that DVLA won't issue a V5C, and I'd feel free to challenge their grounds for that as well.

We give far too much credence to these imaginary diktats.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:05 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
The only thing that it actually means is that DVLA won't issue a V5C, and I'd feel free to challenge their grounds for that as well.

I heard someone claim to have successfully done that, but then he was also selling a Cat B so had reason to lie. I'd be interested to find out why they chose to stop issuing them.

Pie-Roe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:21 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I say in all these threads, my X11 was a cat B, sold it to Dumbarse in the usual fashion, he got a V5 and insured and rode it for a while.
I believe it was with the insurer it was written off with as well.

You will get shafted, regardless of what people say on here, what your solicitor says. If you end up better off money wise and emotional wise than you were before then good for you, but I've been through claims of various severity, of sprains and bruises to career changing injuries, and either way everyone wants to screw you in whatever way they can.
Previous: GSF600, FZR600 x2, ZXR750, XT600 Tenere, CB125, CZ125, ETZ 250, ER5, CCM R30, DRZ400, RF600x4, RF900x2, GS500, VTR1000F, 640 SMC, CB250 NIGHTHAWK, GT550x3, GPX750 TE610, CB500, X11x2, SV650, ZING 125, TL1000R,CB250 Superdream, CBR1100XX

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:44 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My view on payouts / accidents / life ....

1. You are not potato and can still ride.
2. You have a bike you can still ride / sell.
3. You can also buy another bike ( and know to check for it being written off before buying) also, see point 1.

Life is too short to argue over the difference between £950 and £1300. If you've got all you can reasonably get with the effort you can reasonably be bothered to expend ... move on and chalk it down to experience.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:13 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonko The Sane wrote:
Is it possible to argue the cat B status,.

Yes.

I'd do so via the assessor though. Chances are he's chosen that because it's easier to fill in the paperwork.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:11 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tierbirdy wrote:
Nope thats going to be my next step, a complaint along with proof of it being worth more and a complaining its clearly not a cat B.

How are we doing on that?

The clock doesn't start running until your complaint(s) is/are lodged.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:42 - 18 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pie-Roe wrote:
As I say in all these threads, my X11 was a cat B, sold it to Dumbarse in the usual fashion, he got a V5 and insured and rode it for a while.
I believe it was with the insurer it was written off with as well.

And as we always say the rules have changed since then Smile

UncleBFester wrote:

3. You can also buy another bike ( and know to check for it being written off before buying) also, see point 1.

Life is too short to argue over the difference between £950 and £1300. If you've got all you can reasonably get with the effort you can reasonably be bothered to expend ... move on and chalk it down to experience.

I agree and I don't. I fought for more money on the personal injury side and was left wondering if it was really worthwhile, but that's from the perspective of no amount of money can make up for losing your (good) health.

Also I forgot the OP's bike was already a Cat C, which might influence the valuation, even though he can argue he bought it in good faith from a dealer etc.

Tierbirdy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 18:22 - 19 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:

Its not really much effort to go "I want more money" and let them do the rest for me whilst I put me feet up Razz Im a tight fisted git and I want more money, mostly because I cant afford to buy a new bike and my current one still needs work putting into it to get it properly roadworthy again (its got an oil leak that needs fixing, but thats unrelated to the crash) and due to work I just dont have the time to do that at the moment. Whilst I could easily cut my losses and chalk it up to life experience -why should I be out of pocket for their mistake? Someone else fucked up, I may as well milk it for all its worth, its no skin off my back Mr. Green Plus the difference is a significant amount when you're a low paid pleb like me.

Rogerborg wrote:

How are we doing on that?

The clock doesn't start running until your complaint(s) is/are lodged.

Found a load of ads for Fazers all at the £1600+ range, threw in a few ads for Foxeye models with pics taken from an angle that looks nearly identical to boxeye to the untrained eye at the £2500+ mark too because why not try my chances? Razz

Fired off an email rather than phone call to ensure its all written down and recorded, they said theyll look into the evidence Ive provided and get back in touch with Elephant. Which means Elephant will undoubtedly ignore them again for a few more weeks like theyve done so far Rolling Eyes The company Ive been using have been very good at keeping my updated on an almost daily basis and chasing up Elephant... who have been dragging their heels every step of the way. Despite being sent my helmet cam footage practically on day one, it took them best part of 6 weeks to look at it and go from "our driver says they werent there and werent involved" to "oh maybe they were there, we'll get back to you" So the ball is once again in their court.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:22 - 19 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely fight for more money, then they might start learning what vehicles are actually worth. How much did you declare on the insurance BTW (sometimes they won't pay out more than that)?

Tierbirdy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:10 - 19 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

£2k declared value, I think this is the first insurance policy Ive ever had where Ive actually been (almost) totally honest, so in the event of a claim they wouldnt find an excuse to not pay out Razz

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:18 - 19 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tierbirdy wrote:
Fired off an email rather than phone call to ensure its all written down and recorded

Did said email start with the word "COMPLAINT" and feature it repeatedly throughout?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:56 - 19 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tierbirdy wrote:
£2k declared value, I think this is the first insurance policy Ive ever had where Ive actually been (almost) totally honest, so in the event of a claim they wouldnt find an excuse to not pay out Razz

Nice, I think I might overvalue my vehicles in future (not sure how much difference it makes), as I got paid out nearly a grand more than I paid for the bike (which wasn't even a great deal).

Tierbirdy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 19:39 - 20 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Tierbirdy wrote:
Fired off an email rather than phone call to ensure its all written down and recorded

Did said email start with the word "COMPLAINT" and feature it repeatedly throughout?

Yep, as sternly worded as possible with plenty of complaint, contest and without coming across as one of the I WANT TO SPEAK TO YOUR MANAGER single mothers Razz Because Id like to keep them on side!

No response from Elephant yet. Unsurprisingly.

Annoyingly having the hire bike collected next week too, apparently once Elephant have given me a cheque Ive only got 7 days left on the bike, which means Ive got to use my housemates super unreliable worst bike ever made spare bike, or bloody public transport to get to work, ugh. Trying to argue that the claim hasnt ended yet as Im asking for more money so they shouldnt take the hire bike back. Whilst it is a terribly boring bike (dull euro4 compiant 2016 SV650, completely gutless and uninteresting to ride with no soul or character whatsoever), its nice having a (practically) brand new and reliable bike.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 340 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5