Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Volt meter & accessory outlet

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Fowlersrs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:32 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Volt meter & accessory outlet Reply with quote

Right guys,

Since I stripped out the shit alarm on my firestorm I have a spare 10 amp fused supply sat under my seat and I'd like to see it go to good use later this year when I tour Europe later this year with some buddies.

I'd like to install a volt meter displayed on the dash and ideally a accessories socket outlet under seat..

Firstly is this possible off one 10 amp supply?

secondly I've tested it and it's a permanently on supply and not an ignition one so I'd need to be able to switch it off, I'm guessing an inline switch could do that?

Thirdly, I have the positive but where do I terminate, does it have to come back to neutral or can it go to earth?

AndyCF
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 19:43 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds plausible.

The volt meter is going to read the voltage regardless, I would recommend if you are stringing a wire from the battery up the frame to the headstock area for the v.meter to consider putting a 1A fuse or something in it (near the battery end not the headstock end!) as there is no need to transport / risk a heavy current for just a volt meter.

You may find an ignition switched supply already here you can easily use though...

Regarding the accessory socket, could add a switch but if you are going to use something like a car cigar lighter socket for the 'outlet' might not be needed. Usually in cars these tend to be fused at 10A to 15A anyway from memory. I'm not sure how much current could be safely taken from said socket, I'd suspect 10A though but I could be wrong. Then again I guess you will not want that kind of current for 'accessories'

If fitting a switch, ensure its suitably rated.

Earthing: Any suitable point no need (slightly pointless in most cases) going all the way back to the battery. A good clean (clean being the word here) connection to the frame is all that is needed for 'earth' aka 0v. Do please (please) ensure your main battery earth lead/strap is good though where it connects to both the battery lug and the frame / other point.

Smile

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:44 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A voltmeter takes very little current but it's best connected between a switched live and ground

My acc socket is permanently live (via protective fuse course)
they don't have to be switched, it's optional.

Most bikes I know of have no neutral, just live and ground
where the battery neg is strapped to frame

4 I have no idea what a firestorm is and cba to google it

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:46 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:

A Honda, a thirsty Honda. A thirsty Honda that likes to eat Reg/Recs.

If petrol was beer and reg recs were curry, a firestorm would be George Best in an all you can eat Indian buffet.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:33 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a relay to switch on/off my accessory socket. It saves me ever forgetting and running the battery flat.
I bought a cheap LED voltmeter off amazon, something like this
https://www.amazon.co.uk/4-5-30V-Digital-Display-Voltage-Voltmeter/dp/B008KY5ULW/ref=sr_1_2?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1490772611&sr=1-2&keywords=voltmeter

I wired it off the relay too. The relay is triggered by the parking lights which I tend to run with on all the time.

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:53 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fisty wrote:
WD Forte wrote:

A Honda, a thirsty Honda. A thirsty Honda that likes to eat Reg/Recs.

If petrol was beer and reg recs were curry, a firestorm would be George Best in an all you can eat Indian buffet.

I was just going to add something like 'add a spare reg/rec or 2 under your seat, you'll need them soon enough'... Laughing

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:31 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnw010 wrote:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/4-5-30V-Digital-Display-Voltage-Voltmeter/dp/B008KY5ULW/ref=sr_1_2?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1490772611&sr=1-2&keywords=voltmeter

That's ok, but it's open at the back and not waterproof.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLTMETER-WATERPROOF-DIGITAL-0-4-LED-PANEL-RED-BLUE-GREEN-DC-3V-30V-Motorcycle-/251713005143

This one is waterproof and the same as I have on the ZX6. The easiest way is just to find a switched live up at the front of the bike. Mine is tapped into the sidelight wiring and they draw a tiny 20mA so it's not a problem.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/UltimateAddons-Motorcycle-Waterproof-Hard-Wire-Accessory/dp/B005HGWGM2/

Get something like this and wire it into your 10A supply or just straight to the battery. The rubber cap is handy for keeping overnight rain out, just cable tie the socket somewhere on or around the yokes. I've never bothered with switched live or using a relay for these power sockets. If you are just charging a satnav or phone then they normally draw about 1A, so a 10A fused supply is overkill.

You don't need to switch anything doing it that way. Not unless you want one of those funky USB power outlets which may or may not draw current continuously, in that case get a switched one.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:11 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good spot, the one I have is indeed closed at the back and waterproof, not the exact one in the link.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 23 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1