Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New sprocket, Slugish bike ?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Stag
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:57 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: New sprocket, Slugish bike ? Reply with quote

To begin with i owned a hyosung gt125r, I then bought a 250cc engine for it, and put it in the frame (Common knowledge this can be done easily for the series of bike) For the first 10 or so miles i rode the bike, with the same 125r sprockets and chain. 52 teeth for the rear and 14 teeth on the engine.

The acceleration was insane and really blew me away for a 250cc, Not sluggish at all. The new sprockets are much larger, The Front engine one being 15 teeth, and a overall much bigger sprocket; The rear being 42 teeth.

Are these new much larger sprockets the reason for my sluggish bike, If so can anyone recommend me a better sprocket set i can buy for a faster acceleration ? i dont care about top speed

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 21:24 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Would make it a bit more sluggish in 1st (rest of the time you can just sit a gear lower for the same effect), but think stock gearing is meant to be 14:46. 14:42 would be 10% higher than standard

All the best

Katy

Stag
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:32 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Hi

Would make it a bit more sluggish in 1st (rest of the time you can just sit a gear lower for the same effect), but think stock gearing is meant to be 14:46. 14:42 would be 10% higher than standard
All the best

Katy

For more acceleration do you recommend I replace the front or rear first

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 21:43 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

For more acceleration (if you don't want to play with the gearbox) you need a smaller front or larger rear sprocket. But 1 tooth on the front has about the same effect as 3 on the back. You might not be able to use a larger rear without a longer chain, but a smaller front means you probably can take up the slack with the adjusters

All the best

Kty

cresad
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:53 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

The best way to think about gearing is to look at the front where the smaller the cog/sprocket ( no; of teeth ) the more times it has to turn to turn the rear , and the rear works the other way around - the smaller the sprocket ( no; of teeth ) the lower the gearing ( the slower it'll be ).

As you've dropped 1 tooth on the front and 10 teeth on the rear , I would be tempted to go to 46 / 48 on the rear to get better acceleration

Adam

Last edited by cresad on 23:10 - 28 Mar 2017; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:53 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, JT Sprockets confirms that the GT125R is 14/52 as stock, and the 250R should be 14/46.

Why did you change the sprockets, and why 15/42?

Also, you said that the new sprockets, plural, are larger than the old ones. How can a 42 be larger than a 52, if it has the same pitch?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 24 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1