Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Vulcanet wipes

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Aceslock
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 08:59 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Vulcanet wipes Reply with quote

Anyone used these?

Thinking of getting some so i can clean the bike in the garage, but its not cheap so if anyone on here has used them and can recommend them that would be great....... Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

tom_e
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 09:06 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone I've known that's used them has said they're great for giving a slightly dirty bike a quick and easy clean but that price Shocked

Last edited by tom_e on 09:58 - 29 Mar 2017; edited 1 time in total

Jefr0
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:27 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD40 and a rag wins Wink

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:33 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quality quick detailer and microfibre cloths.

I use this.

https://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/chemical-guys/p40-detailer-spray-with-carnauba-473ml.aspx

Last edited by grr666 on 16:24 - 29 Mar 2017; edited 1 time in total

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:35 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better off with a bottle of Demon Shine and a stack of microfibre cloths. Can of WD40 and some paper wipes for the really grubby bits.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:38 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jefr0 wrote:
WD40 and a rag wins Wink

I was surprised to find 5 litre bottles of it gathering dust in my local B&Q, next to proper thick blue shop towel which is far superior to kitchen paper.

If you're thinking of paying dem prices Shocked for those wipes, I agree that WD + paper/towel should do the same job for less.

Aceslock
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 11:17 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for replies guys. Just wondered if they were better than methods mentioned above ^^^

£33 for 80 wipes, doesn't seem that expensive though if you only use 3 per wash as i have read in a review somewhere? thats only like £1.23 every time i clean the bike (every other ride during the summer) so it should last me 2 years judging by our summers Laughing Laughing (i dont do wet)

I just bought a new bike (ZX6R 2006) and it is in great condition, so i really want to preserve its condition, thought maybe waterless cleaning would be the way forward?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:05 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I clean my bike indoors all the time, I also use QD to keep my lids clean. It leaves behind a little wax so the next lot of
bugs don't stick to the bike/visor as thoroughly. I use white spirit or Isopropyl alcohol on old bits of rag to deal with
oily deposits on the rear wheel.

Liam_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:34 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I use them.

Bike looks like new and its a lot more convenient being able to clean the bike in a warm garage. You will use more than 3 wipes per wash but i expect mine to last a year at least.

As good as they are I doubt i'd buy them again unless they drop the price.

https://www.bikepics.com/pics/2016/09/28/bikepics-2794097-984.jpg

Shinigami
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:53 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use them, they do a fantastic job tbh, seem to pretty much get everything off and leave it all shiny, they don't smear dirt around either. Very impressed personally. Prev used paraffin or wd40 but prefer these

woo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:21 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

lidl's 55 pence baby wipes will do the same job!

I use them with a little wd40 to clean chain grease off my rear wheel and generally around the bike.

dont get conned use lidls or any other baby wipes

£33 for wipes (which are essentially baby wipes) with motorcycle marketing..........they must be raking it in at that markup!

SophR so good
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:25 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tbh they really don't do the same as baby wipes. We thought that before trying them. They cut through cack, grease and salt better than anything else and don't smear.

Aceslock
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 13:29 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

woo wrote:
lidl's 55 pence baby wipes will do the same job!

I use them with a little wd40 to clean chain grease off my rear wheel and generally around the bike.

dont get conned use lidls or any other baby wipes

£33 for wipes (which are essentially baby wipes) with motorcycle marketing..........they must be raking it in at that markup!

Really??? I have tried wiping things with baby wipes, including my visor on my lid, which smears everything....... so i don't think you can compare them, it's the solution the wipes are soaked in is what they are marketed on........

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:29 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes sense for a professional shop to have a convenient product to hand particularly when wasting 10 minutes cleaning something the cheap way reduces your earning potential, particularly when doing tasks paid per job not by the hour.

Being a cheapskate I can forgo the convenience.

woo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:55 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

the baby wipes clean chain lube and dirt off my bike fine for the past 10 years. (i also use baby wipes on my own ass after a shit anyone that does not is simply disgusting!)

If your happy to pay £33 for well marketed baby/surface wipes then as you were Laughing

i remember when a sales person in infinity motorcycles in Clapham tried to sell me a version of these expensive baby/surface wipes.............i looked at him and said "mate thats baby wipes dont try rip off!"

Liam_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:28 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

They ain't baby wipes. The wipes themselves are quite different. If you use normal baby wipes on a painted surface you will drag the the dirt across it and you will scratch the paint work.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:29 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

BC90 (Or equivalent) and a Microfibre cloth. Job done.
https://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/products/1661141-500ml-brake-and-clutch-cleaner

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:35 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

These aren't bad. It's surprising what they will get off. I keep a tub on the van for when I'm working where there aren't
handwashing facilities available. Bit cheaper at under a fiver a tub.

https://www.provac.co.uk/product-information/57fb57825244e/GrimeEez-Hand-Multi-Surface-Wipes-?gclid=COjG9aSS_NICFQqNGwodfL4ISA

Aceslock
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 08:28 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

woo wrote:
the baby wipes clean chain lube and dirt off my bike fine for the past 10 years. (i also use baby wipes on my own ass after a shit anyone that does not is simply disgusting!)

I have no qualms using baby wipes to clean chain lube off my back wheel, or under my seat, in fact i quite like this idea, but i would not be confident that it would give me a nice shiny finish on my tank, fairings without scratching the paintwork.....

The idea of these wipes for me is that they are a 'one stop shop' so to speak. i.e. no other products needed, so clean bike with expensive wipe - buff with cloth - job done.

I hope you dont put your shitty wipes down the toilet after you wiped your ass tho........ Laughing Laughing

Aceslock
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 08:31 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
These aren't bad. It's surprising what they will get off. I keep a tub on the van for when I'm working where there aren't
handwashing facilities available. Bit cheaper at under a fiver a tub.

https://www.provac.co.uk/product-information/57fb57825244e/GrimeEez-Hand-Multi-Surface-Wipes-?gclid=COjG9aSS_NICFQqNGwodfL4ISA

Interesting, i wonder if the solution in these are the same as the Vulcanet...... have you tried buffing the surface up after to see the results?

james1988
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:40 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Won't they marr the paintwork over time? It sounds like you're going to end up dragging dirt across the paint work.

James

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:00 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aceslock wrote:

Interesting, i wonder if the solution in these are the same as the Vulcanet...... have you tried buffing the surface up after to see the results?

They smell strongly of oranges, if thats an indicator. As said I use QD and microfibre on paint, but I'd clean wheels and
black plastic (aka grubby bits) with these without any qualms. As I mentioned I keep them in the van for cleaning hands
but remembering that they remove grease and paint and stuff from hands and this thread made me go out and look at the tub.
I wouldn't use them on glossy paintwork though, I have too many dedicated paintwork products available on my shelf.
My current bikes painted bits are all matte finish, ther rest is brushed aluminium so they probably wouldn't hurt either to
be honest. I've not tried using them on a vehicle at all, but will have a whirl next time I'm debugging the Spacker.

Aceslock
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 09:09 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

james1988 wrote:
Won't they marr the paintwork over time? It sounds like you're going to end up dragging dirt across the paint work.

James

Apparently not with these vulcanet wipes, if you gently wipe it traps the dirt in the cloth......... don't know if this is the case though, which is why i asked on here if anyone had used them. Shinigami & Liam have used them and say they work though Very Happy

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:14 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the big question is though, how good are they at wiping your arse?

Aceslock
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 09:15 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:

I wouldn't use them on glossy paintwork though, I have too many dedicated paintwork products available on my shelf.
My current bikes painted bits are all matte finish, ther rest is brushed aluminium so they probably wouldn't hurt either to
be honest. I've not tried using them on a vehicle at all, but will have a whirl next time I'm debugging the Spacker.

Mmmmm the baby wipes with WD40 would probably do the same job then.

i'm glad i started this thread now, i have had some good ideas from it.

I think i will invest in some Vulcanet wipes for the top of my bike, and rob my boys old nappy drawer for some baby wipes with WD40 for the cruddy areas.

We are going to have a hosepipe ban this year anyway Laughing Laughing Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 27 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3