Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Tightening drive chain... help

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Waaarrrggghhh
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 17:06 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Tightening drive chain... help Reply with quote

I am trying to adjust the chain slack (tightening it) but unfortunately I am unable to get any of the nuts out. They are stuck in so tightly I am actually starting to round the edges of the nuts off and bend the wrenches.

Is there any way for me to loosen them? I fear I might have done some irreversible damage to the lug nuts on the axle.

The only tools I have are the ones that came with the bike. Would a mechanic with some machine tools be able to help me out?

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:45 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decent set of sockets and spanners. Plusgas.

Until you have those, stop. The stuff that comes with a bike is, almost invariably, made of Red Leicester.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:50 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pics. Thumbs Up

Waaarrrggghhh
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:52 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bike judders and shudders hard when in low gears and accelerating so I'm wondering if the loose chain is what's causing these judders.

It sounds like something is slapping around inside the engine/against it.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:54 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the bike?

How slack is the chain?

What's the condition of the cush drive?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:05 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the chain new? Is it the right length?

Dealing with rusty bolts:
1) Spray with: WD40, penetrating oil or Plusgas (the best thing to use, but if you don't have Plusgas, just use the rest of the list),
2) Use proper tools (not pliers like people tend to),
3) Seat the tool properly,
4) Use impact force, DO NOT try to slowly turn/apply force,
5) IF you fecked up the bolts, then post the picture and I'm gonna give you the best advice possible on how to undo your negligence.
----
IF you were succesful, then buy some new bolts, do not reuse the fecked up ones.

Baggyman
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:52 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waaarrrggghhh wrote:
The bike judders and shudders hard when in low gears and accelerating so I'm wondering if the loose chain is what's causing these judders.

hooked sprocket? Pictures please

Waaarrrggghhh
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 21:41 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baggyman wrote:
Waaarrrggghhh wrote:

hooked sprocket? Pictures please

Yeah the sprocket is pretty shark toothed now. Sorry no pics but u can probably imagine.

Waaarrrggghhh
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 21:43 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
What is the bike?

How slack is the chain?

What's the condition of the cush drive?

ybr 125.

The chain is very slack, should be between 20-30mm slack but right now its nearly 50mm.

Seems its happened after a few long journeys I've done across England.

Where is the cush drive located on a ybr 125?

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:47 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok first things first, you're going to need a better toolkit. A few spanners don't cost a lot, go do a buy.

The cush drive rubbers are inside the rear wheel. They're bits of rubber. YBR's seem to suffer with them expiring. They're only £10 so not expensive, but worth checking. How you check is whether there's any movement in the rear sprocket against the movement of the rear wheel. That is to say, if you turn the rear wheel, does it turn the sprocket without undue slack.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:35 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

And make sure you take pictures if you are asking for advice.

We don't want to laugh at you attempts, we want to help and a picture is worth a 1000 words.

But, as others have said. A socket set and spanner set. They don't need to be Snap on or Britool, just something that isn't made of pressed steel like your bike toolkit. It's actually good economy as when you come to try and remove the sump plug with a piece of shit OEM toolkit spanner and round it off you wont be laughing.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:10 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pictures of the condition of the axle, adjuster and adjuster lock nuts would be helpful.

I recently purchased a Halfords advanced combination spanner in the size that my axle needed and used the ring end to loosen and tighten the axle, no problems to report.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:21 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halfords had their big spanner and socket sets half price the other day what I was in. 12pt sockets unfortunately but still a decent kit, serves my needs fine and I'm doing full rebuilds. Might still be on sale, and if not they will be soon as they always are.

Definitely worth getting a decent set of tools. It makes life much easier.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:48 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

And don't forget you'll need to loosen off the adjustment for the drum rear brake too, otherwise when you pull the wheel back to tension the chain you'll just be fighting against it, or end up with a very snatchy rear brake.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:38 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Re: Tightening drive chain... help Reply with quote

Waaarrrggghhh wrote:
Would a mechanic with some machine tools be able to help me out?

If you put your location in your profile, you might get a localite willing to turn up and whip your nuts off.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:24 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

kraggem wrote:
Halfords had their big spanner and socket sets half price the other day what I was in. 12pt sockets unfortunately but still a decent kit, serves my needs fine and I'm doing full rebuilds. Might still be on sale, and if not they will be soon as they always are.

Definitely worth getting a decent set of tools. It makes life much easier.

Now I don't get the hate with twelve points as long as they are a decent brand and fit well. I have six points for impact use and my 3/4" drive set is six point but my best 1/2" drive is 12 point and I've never had a problem.

Six points are a way of getting round quality control in a cheap set, they don't have to be so well made as they won't fuck up the nut if the fit isn't brilliant.

On our ships we used to use Facom & Gedore 12 point sockets/sets with no issues.

cb1rocket
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:50 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

just the adjusters?

obvious first, have you actually loosen the axle nut first?

Waaarrrggghhh
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 11:09 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I managed to loosen the axle nuts, but the swing arm nut is stuck in so badly I have completely rounded it off. I did try WD40 before attempting to loosen it, and I used my dad's tools which are all high quality, as he is a professional carpenter/furniture maker.

I am unable to use a torque wrench on it because for some really strange reason there's a thin piece of metal tied up in front of the nut.

edit: right hack sawed the weird metal knot that was in the way and got to it with a torque wrench, and it has rounded it off completely now. Going to need to call the mechanic.

What a piece of shit!!

Last edited by Waaarrrggghhh on 11:24 - 30 Mar 2017; edited 1 time in total

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:11 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swing arm nut? Shocked

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:19 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
Swing arm nut? Shocked

https://i.imgur.com/3jO8Wep.gif

https://i.imgur.com/A4ZC42q.jpg

Last edited by Rogerborg on 11:29 - 30 Mar 2017; edited 1 time in total

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:27 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
RhynoCZ wrote:
Swing arm nut? Shocked

https://i.imgur.com/3jO8Wep.gif

Castellated nut and didn't take the split pin out first? We can't have two imbeciles can we, Arcane and now OP?

Fucking photographs you fucking wally Evil or Very Mad

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:30 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Re: Tightening drive chain... help Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

If you put your location in your profile, you might get a localite willing to turn up and whip your nuts off.

Yeah, if you're in the Birmingham area, I'm sure Arcane is free after completing his latest engineering project

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:35 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no issue with 12pt sockets, they can make things a little easier sometimes but 6pt are a bit better for stuck fastners. Apart from my impact sockets all of mine are the Halford 12pt.

Waaarrrggghhh
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 11:41 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

yeah thats exactly what I've been trying to do, the bottom nut is rounded off and probably stripped.

I took off the little knot thing on the end of the thread to get at it with the torque wrench.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 11:47 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waaarrrggghhh wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

yeah thats exactly what I've been trying to do, the bottom nut is rounded off and probably stripped.

I took off the little knot thing on the end of the thread to get at it with the torque wrench.

Where are you?

I'm sure a reasonably competent local BCFr will help.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 1 day ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2