Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Vee motorcycle tyres, any good?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

mkjackary
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:33 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Vee motorcycle tyres, any good? Reply with quote

About to change my rear ER-5 Tyre, was going to go to another bridgestone t45, which is about 75 quid, but then I was recommended vee tyres, tread pattern looks good and are about 60% of the price. Here is a link.

Cheap & nasty, or good enough for an ER 5?

Any other options I should consider?
https://r.ebay.com/BlWNkn

Cheers
Jack

tom_e
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:37 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyres are important in general tyres are ten times more important on a bike, don't buy cheap shit. Stick with a decent brand.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:48 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheap shit

Vespa PX and LML come with them

All have them changed within weeks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:33 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crap, IME!

Bought a front, for a trials bike, wouldn't seat on the rim, threw it in the bin and bought a Michelin instead!

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:41 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had one before didn't inspire confidence can't remember which bike it was on.

Northern Monkey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:51 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The grom came with them as stock. They were somewhere between worrying and terrifying. It span the rear in the wet with its mighty 9.9hp

mkjackary
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 23:01 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alrighty then,

Hows about continental? Are they any good?

https://ebay.co.uk/itm/152300575584

Also, how much does a shit, or just not good, tyre affect daily performance, I get that for knee down during a flood you want the best you can get, and in a straight line not accelerating or decelerating it doesn't make too much of a difference, but for casual non fast, not pushing the limit of grip kind of riding (plodding along at 110% of the speed limit) do you really need good tyres.

Only recently have i reduced my chicken strips from an inch and a half (when i bought it) to about 1cm. And whilst it is fun going right to the edge (or a cm from it) I can happily ride near vertical most of the time. The main time good tyres would help I assume is in emergency braking, when you need the most grip, am I right in thinking this is the main reason to go for better tyres?

Cheers again for the help and advice guys n gals

woo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:34 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

as said before vee rubbers came with my grom and they are very bad!!!

owl10
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 23:44 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been lucky enough in my previous job to work for several years with some of what would be considered top tyre companies with what are probably some of their most technically demanding products (not motorcycles unfortunately). However, this topic came up in general conversation from time to time.

Decent tyres typically have thousands of hours r&d, and years of engineering experience behind their creation, leading to a precision engineered part, just like any other critical component. It's surprising how much can go into tyre design and manufacturing.

Cheapies may use old tech, old compounds, with no real thought added and simply hoping for the best.

Decent tyres will stop in significantly less distance, with all other factors remaining the same.

Next time a car pulls out without looking, or a kid runs out without looking, those few meters shorter could mean the difference between a bit of shouting, or being scraped off the road.

Not only that, they'll give you more confidence, meaning you can enjoy your ride more.

Often they will wear better as well.

It's worth mentioning that the above is a general rule, and every now and again, in the right conditions, a cheapie can perform well.

If you never go above 15mph then makes near as no difference.

However, ride anywhere near normal conditions, on our wide range of road surfaces then cheapies are often a false economy.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:57 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mkjackary wrote:
Alrighty then,

Also, how much does a shit, or just not good, tyre affect daily performance, I get that for knee down during a flood you want the best you can get, and in a straight line not accelerating or decelerating it doesn't make too much of a difference, but for casual non fast, not pushing the limit of grip kind of riding (plodding along at 110% of the speed limit) do you really need good tyres.

Only recently have i reduced my chicken strips from an inch and a half (when i bought it) to about 1cm. And whilst it is fun going right to the edge (or a cm from it) I can happily ride near vertical most of the time. The main time good tyres would help I assume is in emergency braking, when you need the most grip, am I right in thinking this is the main reason to go for better tyres?

I've got Conti's on my bike and I've never had so little grip in the wet.

virus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:59 - 29 Mar 2017    Post subject: Re: Vee motorcycle tyres, any good? Reply with quote

mkjackary wrote:
but then I was recommended vee tyres.......

Any other options I should consider?

Yes, A will. Someone is trying to kill you.
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mkjackary
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 00:16 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
mkjackary wrote:
Alrighty then,

I've got Conti's on my bike and I've never had so little grip in the wet.

To be fair my t45 in soaking wet aren't that good, back will fish tail with any kind of braking on the rear alone, to slow without fishtailing you have to prepare plan a lot and brake evenly too. On a 45 minute commute with 10 mins in town, it would fishtail/lock/just feel poo 3 or 4 times in those 10 mins.
That is when it is *really* bad though. Normal wet it doesn't do shit unless you are silly.
ZX-7R This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:07 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do people really put budget tyres on bikes? I had some Maxxis tyres fitted to the van recently, but thats a big lumbering
beast compared to a bike and even the way I drive it, unlikely to fall over. There are some crap linglong ditchfinders on teh
scootay at the moment, shockingly bad in the wet and probably part of why the last owner lowsided it on both sides.
I have some Michelin City Grips ready to go on it before it gets used ths season. The pair cost under 80 quid (16 inch wheels btw)

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:45 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mkjackary wrote:
I was recommended vee tyres
[who?]

grr666 wrote:
Do people really put budget tyres on bikes?

Yes, I put some Elbonian joke brand on the back of the Enfield. It's pretty much an oversized pushbike tyre and works just fine in that specific application. Granted I did then bin it, but due to losing the front through damp hamfist. I wouldn't cheap out on the front, or on a real bike.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:05 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't think a 125 twist and go had much risk of fishtailing in the wet either but mine did. As I rode it into Fowlers car
park so maybe 10 mph? My Mrs for whom the scoot was bought would have binned it in the same scenario. <bodytard>.Only my
mad skillz saved it from another meeting with the tarmac... Wink </bodytard>

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:18 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I don't ride the Enfield in the wet. Only the common people do that.

Ah, it's a Mitas. Agricultural, industrial, bicycle. Whistle

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:19 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Re: Vee motorcycle tyres, any good? Reply with quote

mkjackary wrote:
tread pattern looks good

Don't be buying tyres based on whether or not the tread pattern looks pretty!

Go for a major manufacturer , and a tyre the is designed to roughly suit your needs. (long milage, track days, general shite UK weather, sunny days only etc.) Don't get too hung up reading reviews online. Most modern 'branded' tyres will out perform the abilities of most road riders.

Tyres are not an area you should be looking to save a few quid.

Last edited by Monkeypony on 09:28 - 30 Mar 2017; edited 1 time in total

Mudshark
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 09:23 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Continentals conti road attack or similar on the F800, I think they are good (but ABS, traction control etc.)
even on cold wet salty greasy roads I can get quite a lean on in corners

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:25 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get a Michelin Pilot Street delivered for £65 (ebay, Demon Tweeks).

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:22 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I changed the vee rubbers on my grom in under 20 miles. Too many horror stories of people binning their bikes because they lost traction round corners. Awful cheap and felt like plastic.

mkjackary
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 14:18 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, not cheap shit, got the idea.

Now just a case of bridgestone t45 or pilot street.

bt45 is 75.80 on ebay, and it will cost 15 for fitting and balancing etc from local guy.

Pilot street is 65.92 on ebay, would cost 15 to fit with local guy, or 78 including fitting if I went to universal tyres in colchester.

that is to a loose wheel, but I need to replace the brake shoes anyway so it is no biggie.

Any big difference here in quality, if not I'll go for the street, my bank is as tight as a jewish nun at the moment.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:37 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.oponeo.co.uk/

mkjackary
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 15:38 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
https://www.oponeo.co.uk/
oh thank you, cheaper than anywhere else for the michelin tyres, I'll go for those I think, cheers

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:47 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pleasure. Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 22 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2