Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

skatefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:38 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aceslock wrote:
skatefreak wrote:
Speed Awareness course is allegedly becoming a bit of a moot point as Insurers are catching on and now asking you if you've attended one in the last x number of years.

The assumption is they will hit you as hard be it an awareness course or 3 points so if this is the case then surely on balance the points are a cheaper option?

The point of these courses is that you don't have to inform them though, so it is kind of defeating the object if you do tell them......

But if they ask about attending a speed awareness course,
you lie by saying you've not attended a speed awareness course,
that's grounds to invalidate your insurance should you ever make a claim so you may as well take the points, not pay out for the speed awareness course, not have to take a day off work (£££ self employed) and lie about not having any points?!

Whether or not they can easily check if you've been on a course or not is probably the deciding factor here because either way, lying = invalid insurance so very much a muchness here...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nemo
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 15:24 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

skatefreak wrote:
But if they ask about attending a speed awareness course,
you lie by saying you've not attended a speed awareness course,
that's grounds to invalidate your insurance should you ever make a claim so you may as well take the points, not pay out for the speed awareness course, not have to take a day off work (£££ self employed) and lie about not having any points?!

Whether or not they can easily check if you've been on a course or not is probably the deciding factor here because either way, lying = invalid insurance so very much a muchness here...

You're missing the point, you legally don't have to inform the insurance company that you've been on a course, and there is no record accessible from the insurance company to say that you have been, and it isn't recorded on your licence unlike points.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:40 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the point is that Insurance companies are now getting wise to it, and starting to ask the question "Have you been on a speed awareness course in the last xxxx years?" when you get quotes

Aceslock
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 15:48 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
I think the point is that Insurance companies are now getting wise to it, and starting to ask the question "Have you been on a speed awareness course in the last xxxx years?" when you get quotes

Use comparison sites, they don't ask this question so you don't incriminate yourself....... Thumbs Up

skatefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:57 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not recorded against your licence no but is it recorded anywhere else the insurers could get access?

If not then its possibly a rouse to catch out those who chose the course instead of points and aren't aware they cannot access details of who's been on the course other wise saying no is opting for auto invalidating insurance in the event of a claim I suspect Rolling Eyes .

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:18 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Insurance works great.
Just as long as you're paying them money.

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:25 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
After Saturdays x figure blat along the M5, (got a bit carried away hooning with the Akra) I'm keeping an eye on the letterbox.
Slowed it down a bit at Cribbs Causeway when the smart motorway gantries begin but prior to that I was flat out so insta
ban and probably jail if I did get my picture taken.... Was too busy trying to stay on to the thing to look around for cameras Embarassed We'll see. Confused

Unless there was a cop car parked up you shouldn't have anything to worry about. Done that road too many times at over the limit and nothing.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:46 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
I'm fucked if I'm giving a day of my life to be told how to tell what the speed is for a given road (I can tell by the circular signs with numbers in, whether or not I'll abide by it is another matter entirely) so take the points.

You're going to feel a bit of a twonk when you get done again in a few years time, aren't you, by which time you might have tallied up 9 points... Cool

Loui5D wrote:
Was it you? Can it be proved it was you?

I think that the registered keeper is deemed to be guilty unless he can point the finger at the culprit. It's a pretty common scenario where a couple share a vehicle and (in the absence of photographic proof) genuinely nobody can remember who was driving at the time. Unsurprisingly, that excuse doesn't cut a lot of sway with the polis.

skatefreak wrote:
But if they ask about attending a speed awareness course, you lie by saying you've not attended a speed awareness course, that's grounds to invalidate your insurance should you ever make a claim

As I understand it, it's similar to them asking 'Have you ever had a motoring conviction' - if you have, and it's longer than X years since the offence, you can legally say "no" (where I think "X" depends on the offence - 5 years for speeding?)

Aceslock wrote:
Use comparison sites, they don't ask this question so you don't incriminate yourself....... Thumbs Up

That makes no difference - it's still up to you to ensure you fulfil the T&C's of the insurer. I never trust comparison sites anyway, apart from as a tool to find the cheapest insurer... in the past I've discovered when clicking through to the insurer from the comparison site that they've passed on or translated my details with substantial errors, which was the reason the quote was cheapest. If I'd taken up the quote, I'd have been in the wind when it came to making a claim.

In any case, if you go via TopCashback instead, most insurers give you a decent kickback which would otherwise go to the comparison site

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:30 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:
I'm fucked if I'm giving a day of my life to be told how to tell what the speed is for a given road (I can tell by the circular signs with numbers in, whether or not I'll abide by it is another matter entirely) so take the points.

You're going to feel a bit of a twonk when you get done again in a few years time, aren't you, by which time you might have tallied up 9 points... Cool

I've been caught 3 times in 30 years. i'll take the chance, and if I end up with 6 points I'll start being careful.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 21 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2