Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Exhaust can for Fazer

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Feral Kid
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 17:18 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Exhaust can for Fazer Reply with quote

Hello All,
I would like to buy a louder exhaust can for my FZS600 and I have couple of questions.
1. Is it possible to buy uniwersal exhaust can that will fit diffrent type of bikes, in case I would like to use it on my next bike?
2. Will my bike use more petrol with a custom can? If yes how much more can it be? Currently it does around 43mpg (6.6l\100km)
3. Will it increase it's power?
4. Someone recommended me Delkovic cans. Is the brand any good?
5. Can anyone recommend something decent for around £100? I'm looking for something with a removable baffle. And I don't want it to be too loud. And probably made of steel, not a carbon fibre.

Pie-Roe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:31 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Is it possible to buy uniwersal exhaust can that will fit diffrent type of bikes, in case I would like to use it on my next bike?

Some are quite common fitment. There are 4 bolt cans, 52mm slip ons, Suzuki 3 bolt etc. Would be a nice coincidence if you could but wouldn't bank on it.

2. Will my bike use more petrol with a custom can? If yes how much more can it be? Currently it does around 43mpg (6.6l\100km)

Haven't noticed any changes on any bikes I've had, although I do not pay that much attention. I rev more with nicer cans 'cause noise so that does affect it.

If mapped/rejetted but unlikely to give you much on your particular bike.

They are a common brand, mid-high end IIRC, so should be okay.

5. Can anyone recommend something decent for around £100? I'm looking for something with a removable baffle. And I don't want it to be too loud. And probably made of steel, not a carbon fibre.

Pass
Previous: GSF600, FZR600 x2, ZXR750, XT600 Tenere, CB125, CZ125, ETZ 250, ER5, CCM R30, DRZ400, RF600x4, RF900x2, GS500, VTR1000F, 640 SMC, CB250 NIGHTHAWK, GT550x3, GPX750 TE610, CB500, X11x2, SV650, ZING 125, TL1000R,CB250 Superdream, CBR1100XX

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:04 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pie-Roe wrote:

Some are quite common fitment. There are 4 bolt cans, 52mm slip ons, Suzuki 3 bolt etc. Would be a nice coincidence if you could but wouldn't bank on it.

Haven't noticed any changes on any bikes I've had, although I do not pay that much attention. I rev more with nicer cans 'cause noise so that does affect it.

If mapped/rejetted but unlikely to give you much on your particular bike.

They are a common brand, mid-high end IIRC, so should be okay.

Pass

1. Might be able to, but they'll almost certainly be crap. Just buy whatever you like and remove then sell when you upgrade. Chances are you'll need a new link pipe as a minimum.

2. Much of a muchness with a can. Probably use more fuel and you'll want to pin it more to hear that sweet noise.

3. 1-2bhp at most generally on that machine.

4. They're ok. Budget-Mid kind of range. Won't last forever.

5. You'll struggle to get something decent new for £100 even in Stainless IMO. Look at Delkevic, Hawk/Pipwerx, Black Widow at that kind of money. All of them do cans that should fall within your budget.

zark
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:19 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask around on here if you haven't already...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tierbirdy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:32 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put one of these on my FZS600

https://www.pipewerx.com/yamaha-fzs-600-fazer-98-03-hawk-stainless-steel-round-gp-race-exhaust.html

Comes with all the bits and mountings you need, including new link pipe.
A bit fiddly to get it to sit right, but once its on it stays good.

Personally I think it sounds fekkin ace, its loud but not obnoxiously loud, sounds like an angry wasp crossed with a fighter jet. At least thats what I like to pretend.

Regarding fuel/power, Ive not noticed any difference. The FZS600 runs pretty rich as standard so a little more airflow is fine, doesnt need re-jetting or anything (at least thats what everyone on FOC says when I asked).

Unfortunately seeing as Ive just thrown my Fazer sideways down the road, the exhaust is ruined and I now need a new one Sad If I get the bike back on the road, Ill be getting the Hawk can again.

Motorhate
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 08:28 - 31 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need one of these mate...

https://www.spengineering.co.uk/yamaha-fz6-fazer-04-10/page/1/

No re-mapping either. I had one on my old CB500 and currently got one on my ER-6. They're great value for money, top customer service too. Highly recommended.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:37 - 31 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have one of these on my Thundercat which IIRC is pretty much the same engine in a different frame. Link says it comes with the link pipes etc and it WAS fitted to a stock manifold before i swapped that holey pos out for a delkevic 4-1

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-Fazer-FZS-600-1998-03-Slash-Brushed-S-S-Round-Mini-UK-Road-Legal-Exhaust-/182320231206?hash=item2a7321f326:g:w9wAAOSw5dNWpj-V

It sounds epic but isnt too loud. Has passed a few MOTs with it on

Aceslock
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 08:47 - 31 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Delkavic can on my Thundercat, which sounded good. Had plenty of comments from my mates that it had a nice tone when i flew past them Laughing Laughing Laughing

It had a removable baffle as well which i put back in for the MOT.

It was on the bike when i bought it though, so i can't answer any of your other queries.........

WimbleHJR
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 09:13 - 31 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Fuel end can on mine. Came with the link pipe. If i remember correctly it was about £140. They state it won't need remapping and i had no major issues, though when i took the baffle out out did seem to run lean. I had some issues with my downpipes though as well so may not have been related.

Not the loudest exhaust though. Not much better than the original with baffle in.

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:49 - 31 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tierbirdy wrote:
Personally I think it sounds fekkin ace, its loud but not obnoxiously loud, sounds like an angry wasp crossed with a fighter jet. At least thats what I like to pretend.

Hawk, made by Pipewerx, gets a big Thumbs Up from me. I've got Pipewerx/Hawk cans on all of my bikes - really decent quality for the price.

Stubby GP can sounds awesome. This is the same can on my ZX6 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qvi8hwQaK0M

Just bear in mind though, it's not road legal so needs to be swapped (probably) for MOT.

Tierbirdy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:18 - 31 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt B wrote:
Tierbirdy wrote:

Hawk, made by Pipewerx, gets a big Thumbs Up from me. I've got Pipewerx/Hawk cans on all of my bikes - really decent quality for the price.

Stubby GP can sounds awesome. This is the same can on my ZX6 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qvi8hwQaK0M

Just bear in mind though, it's not road legal so needs to be swapped (probably) for MOT.

Mine passed an MOT with it on, but then again I took it to an old school garage - the type that thinks bikes are meant to be loud. They gave it an advisory for being a non-stock exhaust but said thats just because they have to. Obviously YMMV.

Feral Kid
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 13:17 - 31 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tierbirdy wrote:
I put one of these on my FZS600
https://www.pipewerx.com/yamaha-fzs-600-fazer-98-03-hawk-stainless-steel-round-gp-race-exhaust.html
Comes with all the bits and mountings you need, including new link pipe.
A bit fiddly to get it to sit right, but once its on it stays good.

Does it come with baffle?

What about this one?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Delkevic-SS70-225mm-Oval-Stainless-Steel-Silencer-with-baffle-/271385622962?hash=item3f2fd7f9b2:g:DUcAAOSwmtJXaArj

It seems that with my budget I will probably end up buying something second hand

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:38 - 31 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought he preferred laybys.... This thread title is misleading.

Feral Kid
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:47 - 31 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

And how can I find a can that will fit to my FZS600? What do I need to look for? Is it the fitment type, sleeve length or what?

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:20 - 31 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feral Kid wrote:
Does it come with baffle?

No.

Feral Kid wrote:
And how can I find a can that will fit to my FZS600? What do I need to look for? Is it the fitment type, sleeve length or what?

You put your bike details into the Delkevic website and click silencer kits... Rolling Eyes

You need a link pipe with it.

https://www.delkevic.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=4970_5128_5177_5183&product_id=9359&Title=SS70+225mm+Oval+Stainless+Steel+Silencer+to+fit+FZS600+FAZER+%281998-2003%29&SKU=KIT2504

Feral Kid
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 17:04 - 31 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

It looks good, but it's not UK road legal.
What is the 225mm? I would like to know what I should be looking at if I want to find a second hand can, which is not only for FZS600. When I type in eBay "FZS600 can" there are not many offers

Last edited by Feral Kid on 20:01 - 31 Mar 2017; edited 1 time in total

Tierbirdy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 18:09 - 31 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it doesnt come with a baffle, it doesnt really need one. Why would you want a louder aftermarket exhaust, then put a baffle in it?

As already said with that ebay one, youll need a link pipe as well which it looks like it doesnt come with. I dont know what Delkevic are like, but hawk/pipewerx are very good.

What I did find with mine though, is when you remove the stock exhaust, it has some sort of metal wire mesh/asbestos(?) type gasket join typey thing between the downpipe and link pipe, the Hawk can wont fit over this and I had to cut it off. Not really an issue, but means if you want to put the stock one back on for whatever reason (MOT time perhaps?) it wont seal properly and youll have to put some gun gum over it or something for the MOT.

Feral Kid
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 00:26 - 01 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I find a good deal on eBay, how can I check if the can is compatible with FZS600 2002;
For example how can I check if this one will be compatible:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SV-650-BLUE-FLAME-EXHAUST-DUEL-PORT-51MM-INLET-DIAMETER-WILL-FIT-OTHER-BIKES-/152492392224?hash=item2381413f20:g:zrIAAOSwLEtYjxa9
is it just a link pipe that need to have a right diameter? If yes; what is it for FZS600 2002?

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:29 - 01 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feral Kid wrote:
If I find a good deal on eBay, how can I check if the can is compatible with FZS600 2002;
For example how can I check if this one will be compatible:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SV-650-BLUE-FLAME-EXHAUST-DUEL-PORT-51MM-INLET-DIAMETER-WILL-FIT-OTHER-BIKES-/152492392224?hash=item2381413f20:g:zrIAAOSwLEtYjxa9
is it just a link pipe that need to have a right diameter? If yes; what is it for FZS600 2002?

No it's not.

Feral Kid
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 13:07 - 02 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I guess the best option is to look for a can that is designed for FZS600 or at least a can that comes with a link pipe which has a right diameter. What would it be; few mm larger than the exhaust pipe?

Is it possible to find a n exhaust can with a right opening diameter which will be possible to install without a link pipe?

If I find a can without a link pipe, where can I get one? Is it possible to get it from the manufacturer (like Delkevic or Black Widow)?

If the can is road legal with a baffle on; does it mean that if I will be riding a bike without; I'm running a risk of being stopped by police and getting a ticket?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 16 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1