Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Buildings/contents insurance question

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

someotherguy
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:46 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Buildings/contents insurance question Reply with quote

A pipe burst in my flat the other day, and fucked the floor and carpets up throughout the whole flat. The carpets need replacing, and the floor underneath needs fixing (it's
this self-levelling vinyl stuff).

(Note: I don't have contents insurance, only buildings insurance.)

Ring buildings insurer. Insurer asks me to get photographs, emergency plumber call-out invoice, and estimates to repair the damage (including the repair to the floor and new carpets).

Loss adjuster bloke turns up today, and says it's all fine.

However, I just received an email from him, telling me I'm not covered for replacing the carpets or the repairs to the pipe Rolling Eyes

Questions:

1. Can I claim for loss of income? I'm self-employed, and had to take two days off work to sort this shit out. I'm desperately looking for a way to claw some cost back from these people Laughing

2. Apparently the cost of the repair to the burst pipe isn't covered, as the policy covers "resultant damage" only. I don't understand why repairing the pipe isn't covered?

3. Given the carpets are fucked as a direct result of the burst pipe, why isn't their replacement considered "resultant damage"? I'm not sure why I need contents insurance to cover me for replacement carpets if a pipe bursts. Surely carpets are covered by buildings insurance rather than contents insurance? Also, given the floor underneath the carpets also needs replacing now, I don't see why the carpets aren't covered too as "resultant damage". I can't exactly repair the floor without changing the carpets Rolling Eyes

Fuck insurance companies.

I should get contents insurance I guess!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Baggyman
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:28 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you own the flat?

Don't blame the insurance companies if you did not buy the insurance.

Do you know how to adjust a motorcycle chain - this is one of those validation questions to check you are not a robot (or a sock puppet)

someotherguy
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 06:24 - 31 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I own the flat. It's share of freehold, so I effectively own 1/6th of the freehold as well.

I'm not blaming them, it just feels like I should be able to claim for any damaged caused as a direct result of something caused by an item covered under buildings insurance (the pipe).

And yes, I do. I just don't do it often enough Embarassed

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:58 - 31 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I understand, and I'd have to get my policies out to check, buildings is anything structural. Contents is everything else.

If your washing machine breaks and drowns the flat, that's contents, Same with a burst pipe. They will fix the structural,the floor, but not accessories, pipe, carpet, lino etc.

I have contents and Buildings with the same insurer. Probably not the cheapest way to go but I'll leave the various departments to argue amongst themselves who pays. Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 27 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1