Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

bmw k1200s or Triumph ST?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

sshenton1975
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:51 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: bmw k1200s or Triumph ST? Reply with quote

Hi guys

Currently riding an SV1000 which I love thanks to its low down grunt. Plenty fast enough and I am addicted to the torque
Have had my license for 10 years but only really got the bug in last 12 months

I quite like doing a few longer trips but the SV is not ideal for that being quite unfaired

Ive been looking at two bikes quite.closely:

BMW K1200s - I like the.looks especially in black, 170hp, quite big, panniers

Triumph ST - again nice balance between sports and touring, good looks, cool triple engine

What would you choose of these two? Anything I need to look out for?

What will I miss about the SV.compared to these?

thanks!

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:22 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't touch the BMW, on paper it makes sense...

But then

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2015/04/who-makes-the-most-reliable-motorcycle/index.htm

40% of BMW owners encounter at least one major failure until the 4th year of ownership.

I've seen loads of them for sale suspiciously cheap too. I am coloured by my own experiences though. HUBB and ADV are a bit funny about them. Plus I saw more than a few with serious issues on various trips. Tatters for instance never got far beyond the Ukrainian border.

How about an FJR1300? I'd get one but the seat is way too wide for me.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stonesie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:26 - 30 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you love the sv but want a faired bike for long range then consider the Aprilia Falco, a friend loved his and took ​it all over Europe with only a faulty side stand switch in 4 years of ownership.
He's had a few bikes since trying to find something better and has now settled on a blackbird, so there's another or the short list.

spnorm
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 07:15 - 31 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The K1200S is a far better bike than a Sprint ST, but it did have a few teething troubles. I tested both and (and the SV1000S) and bought the K to replace my VFR800.

It was a 4-month old bike in 2006 and I owned it for three years. The build quality was excellent compared to more recent BMW's and it was very quick - about the same as an early GSX-R1000 - but it suffered all the usual problems:

ABS servo
Duolever balljoints
Camchain tensioner
Airbox
Gear position indicator sensor
Clutchpack
Warped brake discs
Rear suspension tie rod

Luckily all were replaced under warranty and didn't fail a second time, but they were enough to make me lose faith with the bike once it ran out of warranty Sad

defblade
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:17 - 31 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the ST but there's a angle in the mouldings that presses into my knees, it was obvious enough on a test ride that I knew I'd never feel comfortable long term.

The K1200 (an R sport, so half faired) I did buy was
(a) far too powerful for commuting, to the point where it feels like a bit of a waste of time as you can only use 30% if you want to stay even vaguely legal (I never got to the top end of third, for example... might as well have had 1st, 3rd and 6th. Or just 3rd or even just 6th would probably have been fine!)
(b) the most fragile/expensive thing I've thrown my leg over. Even paying for a BMW warranty, I crossed my fingers every ride. Even a tiny problem can cost £1000s, and they're not the easiest things to work on.
(c) amazingly good and competent in every other way and fast as fuck.

I didn't keep it very long, just too much bike for the riding I do.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:05 - 31 Mar 2017    Post subject: Re: bmw k1200s or Triumph ST? Reply with quote

sshenton1975 wrote:

Triumph ST - again nice balance between sports and touring,

I sold my Sprint because it wasn't that.

It's far too heavy to be sporty and although it's very stable in longer sweeping bends on more narrow stuff it was really hard work. Brakes weren't amazing so you couldn't lean on them particularly. It's an alright handling bike don't get me wrong but agile and able to mix it, it ain't. I dare say it is better through the lanes than a full on tourer but that doesn't excuse the next bit.

It's a crap tourer. The panniers are terrible leaky awkward internally shaped things that are bloody heavy, and you can't easily tie on to the back seat as there's a lack of bungee hooks, along with a hot underslung exhaust. So loading it up is difficult compared to a proper tourer. Further, it's not that comfortable as an overall, let alone for a tourer. It's too hard on knees and wrists and if it were any good at the scratching bit then I'd allow it that, but it ain't.

Essentially it's the worst of both breeds stuck together. Both sides are so far compromised that neither make sense.

My current KTM I'm absolutely sure does both, better. With the exception of stability at 3 digit speeds it outclasses the Sprint in every single way. Why I kept the Triumph as long as I did, I just don't know.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

andys675
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:43 - 31 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

FJR1300

Loui5D
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:47 - 31 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

GTR1400?

tadge
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:42 - 31 Mar 2017    Post subject: Like the SV ? Reply with quote

You like the torque of the sv ? ..... Look at Hayabusa (gen 2preferably)bullet proof, cheap parts, do everything, and can return good fuel economy !

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:18 - 31 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loui5D wrote:
GTR1400?

Seen one of those parked up at work. Cannot get excited by it, at all.
Could be a great bike, but dat styling. Sick

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:26 - 31 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://advrider.com/index.php?threads/nhsta-opens-investigation-into-bmw-final-drive-failures.761531/

The hollow style final drives on the R1200s, K1200/1300R/S are prone to failures, but arent as easy to overhaul as the earlier monolever and paralever ones.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:26 - 31 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnw010 wrote:

Tried one myself. It's strangely top heavy for some unknown reason too.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:36 - 01 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnw010 wrote:
Loui5D wrote:
GTR1400?

I was expecting a shaft drive ZZR1400 when I rode one of these. It isn't. I still liked it but I would forever be feeling a little underwhelmed if I bought one.

diesel dog
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 13:11 - 04 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I owned a Caspian blue Sprint 1050ST and thought it was nice bike. As arry said it wasn't quite a sports bike nor a tourer but it was good enough for what I was using it for - mid week trips out covering up to 250/300 miles a day.

It was good on fuel returning on average 160/170 and sometimes went into the 200's where my current bike - FZ1s, the most I've ever had was 160 miles. Servicing and parts from the main dealer were eye watering prices and wondering when or if the sprag clutch or R/R were going to give up made me change to the Fazer, along with it been more upright and kinder on my lower back.

Has anyone else noticed that prices for used bikes are advertised more than what they were a couple of years ago. Whether they sell for that is another matter.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 359 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1