Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Thought this may be useful

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Nemo
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 21:44 - 31 Mar 2017    Post subject: Thought this may be useful Reply with quote

Just browsing YouTube, as you do, and RoadcraftNottingham has posted this video of a mock mod 1

https://youtu.be/zJac1xGKNjg

Thought it might help some anxious new comers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

SDFarsight
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 12:37 - 02 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, that should make things more familier when my test comes around.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:50 - 02 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm, not sure why he's telling him back brake only. It's not like examiners can fail you for using only the front brake.

Analogkid
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:16 - 02 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
I'm, not sure why he's telling him back brake only. It's not like examiners can fail you for using only the front brake.

Because at low speed and inexperienced riders can often grasp the front brake too hard, cause the bike to dive and making it more likely they feel the need to put their foot down or fall over, both instant fails, taught to balance clutch and back brake, you probably do it yourself when in traffic etc, rolling behind another vehicle and coming to a stop, I know I do it's smoother.

SDFarsight
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 14:47 - 02 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Analogkid wrote:
Pjay wrote:

Because at low speed and inexperienced riders can often grasp the front brake too hard, cause the bike to dive and making it more likely they feel the need to put their foot down or fall over, both instant fails, taught to balance clutch and back brake, you probably do it yourself when in traffic etc, rolling behind another vehicle and coming to a stop, I know I do it's smoother.

Yeah my CBT instructer said something like that when first introducing me to the bike, yet I was very comfortable and stable using the front break as my long-held bicycle habits kicked in.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:51 - 02 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Analogkid wrote:

I pretty much only put some small pressure on the back brake when slowing to lights, pretty much all other braking is on the front.
If a rider can't use a front brake properly, he should fail.

Analogkid
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:01 - 02 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
Analogkid wrote:

I pretty much only put some small pressure on the back brake when slowing to lights, pretty much all other braking is on the front.

That's what I'm referring too, at walking pace during a test you often need a dab of rear brake, the clutches on most school bikes aren't precision instruments and riders are novices, not everyone is a budding Pastrana.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:02 - 02 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDFarsight wrote:
I was very comfortable and stable using the front break

But if you grab it too hard, you can brake it.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:07 - 02 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Analogkid wrote:
That's what I'm referring too, at walking pace during a test you often need a dab of rear brake, the clutches on most school bikes aren't precision instruments and riders are novices, not everyone is a budding Pastrana.

I'm not disputing that using the back brake at low speeds is good practice, but teaching people not to use the front brake is poor form.
I mean that if they are not able to use the front brake at low speed, then they clearly shouldn't have a licence.
Teaching people to pass tests is bad form, instructors should teach them full control of the brakes.

SDFarsight
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 15:10 - 02 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
SDFarsight wrote:

Indeed it's a progressive scale rather than a button. And for emergency stops I was advised to use a balance of front and rear.

Analogkid
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:30 - 02 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
Analogkid wrote:

I'm not disputing that using the back brake at low speeds is good practice, but teaching people not to use the front brake is poor form.
I mean that if they are not able to use the front brake at low speed, then they clearly shouldn't have a licence.
Teaching people to pass tests is bad form, instructors should teach them full control of the brakes.

They do teach them how to properly use both brakes, but during the slow speed maneuvres, inexperience, nerves etc, that's when they advise staying away from front brake, they even advocate progressive braking by coming to a controlled stop using both brakes after the swerve test, even going as far as suggesting modulating pressure on front as you come to a stop.

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:55 - 02 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDFarsight wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:
brake

Indeed it's a progressive scale rather than a button. And for emergency stops I was advised to use a balance of front and rear.

https://img.memesuper.com/0c262e9765085676b0f591c4e84aeda0_that-joke-skyrocketed-over-joke-over-your-head-meme_812-732.png

It's ok, I appreciated it.

Analogkid
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:08 - 02 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
Analogkid wrote:

They do teach them how to properly use both brakes, but during the slow speed maneuvres, inexperience, nerves etc, that's when they advise staying away from front brake, they even advocate progressive braking by coming to a controlled stop using both brakes after the swerve test, even going as far as suggesting modulating pressure on front as you come to a stop.

SDFarsight
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 16:24 - 02 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

dydey90 wrote:

Hey, some people do apply the break too heavily! Very Happy

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:46 - 02 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
SDFarsight wrote:

A friends son failed, His txt to dad said it was because he broked too hard.... Confused

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:45 - 02 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Passed my mod 1 only using the front brake, training was a disaster so I thought if I was going to fail I'd fail my way.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:07 - 03 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDFarsight wrote:

I was told not to touch the rear brake in emergency situations, because at that moment your rational thinking is focused elsewhere and you could, most likelly, just put too much brake pressure on the rear, making things even worse. The rear brake being yet another distraction.

''balance of front and rear'' is not what you're going to do, when you think you're gonna die. Also, and I don't say it's true, if you ride a sports bike, then have a look at your rear brake. Even Kevin Schwantz, and others, said that the rear brake was just a distraction and they never really used it on the track.

*Worth noting: The frame geometry pretty much determins how effective the rear brake is going to be. When there is more weight over the rear wheel, the rear brake will work better. Hence on the sports bikes the rear brake disc is tiny, because (and I don't know if motorcycles that I had a chance to ride were special) the moment you apply the rear brake, you can't feel much of braking/slowing down and if you apply more force, the rear wheel just blocks.

Pro-tip,
...might be pointless and I might be called names, but get used to use only one or two fingers on the front brake lever. This way, even in a emergency situation, you will never slam the front brake as you do not have the strenght in your one/two fingers. Locking the front brake, when panicing, is a result of using your whole hand to grab onto the lever. More further on the lever you apply the force, more torque you put there = more brake pressure applied. If you grab the lever at its end = minimal force required to lock the front wheel = instant road scraper.
YET, using only one/two finger/s on the lever is more than enough to operate the brake and slow down/stop the bike from three digit speeds.

*Worth noting: some front brakes can't be operated this way and require more force/fingers on the lever.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:54 - 03 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I did my mod1 the first bit, moving from one bay to another, we were told to back the bike out in a straight line. Only turning when moving in a forward direction. So back it out in a straight line, move forward until you've done the semi-circle, back it in straight.

If you get off on the left of the bike (clutch lever side) and you're turning, with your left on the left handle bar and your right on the rear grab handle, then you're a bit fucked if it slips to the right. It'll be hard to catch it.

Not seen any other training videos where they do what I did though.

-- Edit : Found an example recorded with a potato:

https://youtu.be/snEJjokv6cQ?t=70

Last edited by ScaredyCat on 12:02 - 03 May 2017; edited 1 time in total

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:00 - 03 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:

I've seen too many adult films to read this sentence and not wonder.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:03 - 03 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:
When I did my mod1 the first bit, moving from one bay to another, we were told to back the bike out in a straight line. Only turning when moving in a forward direction. So back it out in a straight line, move forward until you've done the semi-circle, back it in straight.

If you get off on the left of the bike (clutch lever side) and you're turning, with your left on the left handle bar and your right on the rear grab handle, then you're a bit fucked if it slips to the right. It'll be hard to catch it.

How far back did you have to go? I was taught this method https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgW018brWZQ but with a big heavy Bandit I was in all honesty a drop risk (with one hand on the bars and other on the grab rail). I think it's stupid because as you say if it starts to go the other way you're not going to catch it.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:06 - 03 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
How far back did you have to go? I was taught this method https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgW018brWZQ but with a big heavy Bandit I was in all honesty a drop risk (with one hand on the bars and other on the grab rail). I think it's stupid because as you say if it starts to go the other way you're not going to catch it.

Have a look at the video in my edited post..

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:27 - 03 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:

Making appropriate use of the rear brake under the right conditions isn't a sign that they can't use the front brake under appropriate conditions. Using the rear for slow speed control isn't inappropriate at all and at slow speed it's unlikely that they'll ever need the stopping power of the fronts; and whilst the front CAN make the bike unstable (with poor application) the rears have less chance of doing so, hence the instruction is to use the rear in that situation as it's the most appropriate of the two.

It's not that big a deal - if you do things differently that's not a big deal either. Everyone finds what they're most comfortable with. The key is being in control.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Chris45
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:26 - 03 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Experienced riders know when to use the rear brake only which thankfully isn't very often. There is an excellent book entitled "The Police Rider's handbook to better Motorcycling" There's a chapter which covers just this scenario and it could one day save your life, or at least save your pride and joy from being wrapped around a lampost.

Don't wish to sound like your dad but get the book (off ebay) and read it X3.

Chris
Inverness.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:17 - 03 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris45 wrote:
Experienced riders know when to use the rear brake only which thankfully isn't very often. There is an excellent book entitled "The Police Rider's handbook to better Motorcycling" There's a chapter which covers just this scenario and it could one day save your life, or at least save your pride and joy from being wrapped around a lampost.

Don't wish to sound like your dad but get the book (off ebay) and read it X3.

Chris
Inverness.

It's a good job those police officers are having great training otherwise I'm sure they'd all be wrapping bikes round lampposts like the rest of us are whilst riding slowly round a car park.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:20 - 04 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest reason as I see it not to use your rear brake in the emergency stop is because with the weight transferred to the front it's very likely to stop the rear wheel and that's an instant fail.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 356 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2