Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

lightweight summer protective clothes

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

proctor
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:40 - 01 Apr 2017    Post subject: lightweight summer protective clothes Reply with quote

Any advice, my textile RST stuff is bullet proof and waterproof
but very bulky.
Any makes I should look at for lightweight summer riding ?

Bozzy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 17:41 - 01 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep looking at Dainese City Guard jackets, along with the Sport Guard. These can be worn under none protective clothing or standalone. They also look to offer good airflow as they are mesh.

https://www.dainesedstore.co.uk/dainese-city-guard-d1-jacket.html

https://www.dainese.com/gb/en/sport-guard/201876080.html

Analogkid
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:43 - 01 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's bulky for a reason, the road is hard, and abrasive.

Does your current kit come with removable liners? The kit is only hot in the summer when stationary, at speed things cool off a bit, especially if you have zip openings for airflow. You can get lightweight mesh jackets, but they don't offer as much protection in a crash, lighter colours will help, and Kevlar jeans may be a little cooler, but not much.

Dress for the slide....not the ride!

proctor
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:30 - 01 Apr 2017    Post subject: lightweight summer protective clothes Reply with quote

Bozzy wrote:
I keep looking at Dainese City Guard jackets, along with the Sport Guard. These can be worn under none protective clothing or standalone. They also look to offer good airflow as they are mesh.

Thanks Bozzy for the links,the only experienced rider I know swears by
his Dainese kit. The price gives pause but you get what you pay for, I can see my RST stuff on Gumtree very soon.

proctor
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:43 - 01 Apr 2017    Post subject: lightweight summer protective clothes Reply with quote

Analogkid wrote:
It's bulky for a reason, the road is hard, and abrasive.

Does your current kit come with removable liners? The kit is only hot in the summer when stationary, at speed things cool off a bit, especially if you have zip openings for airflow. You can get lightweight mesh jackets, but they don't offer as much protection in a crash, lighter colours will help, and Kevlar jeans may be a little cooler, but not much.

Dress for the slide....not the ride!

Sound advice of course and apreciated, yes liner is out already and it's not the heat it's the bulk. Speed for me at the moment is 50mph on my ybr125. I know that is fast enough to hurt a guy but I want the ride to be
enjoyable so a compromise on gear might be an option.

Bozzy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:14 - 01 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: lightweight summer protective clothes Reply with quote

proctor wrote:
Bozzy wrote:

Thanks Bozzy for the links,the only experienced rider I know swears by
his Dainese kit. The price gives pause but you get what you pay for, I can see my RST stuff on Gumtree very soon.

Your RST stuff will still be useful so I wouldn't be in a hurry to sell it. You'll need it for cold and/or wet weather riding I guess?

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:44 - 01 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Knox Orsa, or possibly the forerunner thereof, I've had them a few years. very light and airy but still with a fair amount of armour.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:27 - 02 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_Pagin wrote:
I use Knox Orsa, or possibly the forerunner thereof, I've had them a few years. very light and airy but still with a fair amount of armour.

Believe it's called zephyr now, was looking at one the other day, nice kit

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 00:43 - 02 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mesh jackets with armour offer protection against impacts but they'll just fall apart if you're sliding along tarmac.

I think you should get some well ventilated leathers. Thumbs Up

https://i.imgur.com/7CXzClW.jpg

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:33 - 02 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a "Lewis"[*] leather and textile mix jacket. Lighter than a full leather affair or RST textiles which are pretty hefty.

There are a lot of seams so I wouldn't fancy my chances in a slide, but it has vents front and back and on the sleeves, and is tolerable even in the height of a Scotch "summer".

[*] Lewis "Originals", not high end Lewis Leathers!

Andy Rider
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 09:30 - 03 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking for something like this recently. Thinking my best options, as I also want something that looks OK off the bike, are the Dainese Zack or Rev It! Eclipse

rhys99
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:45 - 03 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it really needed for UK weather? I rarely get too hot in leathers.
21:16:02 Fin: I got a girl to believe I have a huge dick today, she's going to be so disappointed
K̶5̶ ̶S̶V̶6̶5̶0̶S̶ K3 SV650N

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:36 - 03 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The true answer is to build up a collection of things and then chop and change what you fancy wearing on the day. I spent all my spare monies during my time on the tiddler at J&S buying a range of jackets and gear and thus have plenty to choose from now.

I don't wear leather all that much and thus only have one jacket. I found, based on memory, IMO it wasn't entirely what I was after as I like to walk around a lot and don't really do much, or didn't then, riding for fun. Commuting at the time in non stop start stop traffic meant plenty of time to frazzle like ice cream. If anything I found my leather jacket heavy walking around. In terms of on the bike it was something fun and new but because most of my riding is commuting I had to plan ahead and hardly found days when the weather was nice enough from start to finish to render using it. Can't really put too much input into that side of things.

In terms of textile, talking RST here, I found the RST Trachtech Evo fun at first but the vents aren't that great or a deal many of them, it was lighter than my RST Blade and more sporty and my go to "waterproof/vented" jacket on sunny days but wasn't entirley there. I'd call it a good entry point. I wouldn't want to get caught out in a heavy storm in it though as out of all of em I always felt it wouldn't do as well, no proof mind.

My current go-to is the RST Pro Series Adventure 2 jacket and in truth hardly any of my other kit gets used because of this. Not just because I want to get my monies worth of wear and tear but because it, I believe, is a true 4 in 1 season jacket. Weight wise I feel it's lighter than any other jacket I own and the amount of vents it has is redonkulas, only real problem is the front sqaure vent is a giant faf in how its designed and time it takes to put together. It's expensive but I wouldn't be without it. I've no idea on the longevity of it.

In terms of bottoms I've a pair of basic kevlar jeans for the occasion around town or to town trip whereby speeds aren't all that high and I'll be walking around alot. In terms of commuting I've always used textile jeans. Pro Series Paragaon 5 jean has a vent in but I often commute with clothes underneath so probably aren't getting the full effect of it, I've never really much minded as I don't get hot on the legs often. Saying that I should probably remove the thermal layer I've been using until now, oops.

So yeah there's a mixture of inputs on some different kit there. HTH.

proctor wrote:
you get what you pay for

RST's not that bad. While I've no experience of Dainese hands on I wouldn't get caught up in price tag war bashing between brands.

RST beats Wolf (made in the same factory IIRC) in a like for like jacket in design.

Depends what you want to splash the cash on.

You'll find RST have discounts on all lines being discontinued and replaced by new models so might be able to grab a bargain in your size also.

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:38 - 03 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a nice set of 2 peice Alpinestars GP Pro leathers from J&S too. Don't feel too heavy, and also very well made. Wore them in winter with a jumper underneath and slowly wearing less underneath as summer approaches. Weren't cheap but I can use them all year round. Only thing I switch up is gloves.

If you want to cool down just go faster Cool Cool

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:04 - 03 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vented textiles, carry a small roll-on deoderant under the seat. I'd rather be a bit too sweaty than not have enough protection.

I had my first off on my bicycle a while ago at about 25mph (too fast round an icy corner, lowsided). Ripped through my raincoat, my thick jumper and my thick shirt, hurt like a bitch and had road rash all up my arm. Same think happened on my hip, went right through thick "Chino" type trousers.

It's whole hog or nothing IMHO. Maybe put some of those thin ice packs down your jacket?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:46 - 03 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a mesh jacket (Frank Thomas) from J&S in a sale a few years back. As soon as the weather warms up then it becomes my 'Go To' jacket (with the liner removed).
So much that I often take a cheap waterproof jacket to put on over it if the forecast suggests it may rain on the journey, rather than start in a different jacket. And a windproof top underneath if it's starting chilly and getting warmer.
It may need replacing this summer and I'll probably look for a different brand but I'll definately get another mesh one.

rhys99
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:27 - 03 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpineandy wrote:
I bought a mesh jacket (Frank Thomas) from J&S in a sale a few years back. As soon as the weather warms up then it becomes my 'Go To' jacket (with the liner removed).
So much that I often take a cheap waterproof jacket to put on over it if the forecast suggests it may rain on the journey, rather than start in a different jacket. And a windproof top underneath if it's starting chilly and getting warmer.
It may need replacing this summer and I'll probably look for a different brand but I'll definately get another mesh one.
Do you really feel safe in these mesh type jackets though? the ones i've seen seem like they'd do shit in any type of slide.
21:16:02 Fin: I got a girl to believe I have a huge dick today, she's going to be so disappointed
K̶5̶ ̶S̶V̶6̶5̶0̶S̶ K3 SV650N

billyray911
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 00:17 - 04 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sticking with rst,have you looked at the ventilator series of kit?
I bought the ventilator 5 jacket and trousers last year and haven't bothered with my rukka stuff since.
It's a 4 in 1 outfit and is made of ballistic material and comes with shoulder,elbow and back protection.
I use it daily with only the rain insert cover and it's been plenty warm.Its really lightweight and very comfortable.
I got a deal on the 5 due to a cocked up order, but the 4 is almost identical and cheaper...

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:29 - 04 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

rhys99 wrote:
Alpineandy wrote:
I bought a mesh jacket (Frank Thomas) from J&S in a sale a few years back.
Do you really feel safe in these mesh type jackets though? the ones i've seen seem like they'd do shit in any type of slide.

I'm quite confident in it. It seems to be as well made as any other textile jacket in it's price range. I did put a decent back protector in though.

Edit; I'll probably get an A* AST jacket next.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 360 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1