Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

How To Progress

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

LongRoad
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:06 - 02 Apr 2017    Post subject: How To Progress Reply with quote

Hello!

I started learning last year but due to my own baws up (grabbing front brake), ended up coming off the bike. I never completed my CBT then but decided to go back to it and completed the off road stuff plus just over an hour of on road yesterday. Have to go back next week where I'll hopefully finish it off.

Coming off last year really knocked me and I lost any confidence I did have. I do want to do my full A license & I really enjoyed being out on the road yesterday, even if it was pootling about in city centre style traffic. The time flew by. I still felt a bit nervous going out yesterday, but I did enjoy it when I was out. I know next week will be the dual carriageway / country roads riding, which fills me with a little trepidation but I'm looking forward to it. Confidence (and obviously experience), is the main thing I'm lacking after I came off.

Once I complete my CBT, would I be better buying a 125cc and trying to get more road experience / confidence or progress straight on to the A license?

Thanks in advance.

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:09 - 02 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, the dual carriageway and country roads riding should be easier and more enjoyable than the around town bits you've been doing.

See how you feel after next week. You'll probably find the riding easier (as your brain has had time to process stuff and you'll be less tired - CBT is a long day), then have a word with your instructor.

The advantages of going straight to A are:-
You don't pick up bad habits riding on your own
You don't have the hassle of buying/insuring/selling a tiddler (and then insuring a big bike, as some insurers won't let you change mid-term to anything other than another 125)
Big bikes are easier to ride (as long as you are strong enough to do the manual handling bits)
You get more training, someone watching what you are doing and correcting you constantly

Having said that, Mrs Bamt wasn't too confident and we got her a 125 to ride around on, but part of that was also that she decided she wanted a license at the start of summer and we couldn't get a theory test date until the end of summer - so it was ride a 125 or nothing during the nice weather.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:26 - 02 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simply go and do it. You won't regain confidence by thinking about it too much and stewing over it.

If you're scared of the front brake grab thing then buy a bike with ABS. A full A licence will be much more helpful for you in this regard.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:44 - 02 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: How To Progress Reply with quote

Agreed, wait until you've completed your CBT before you make any decisions.

Tell your training school that you're thinking of doing an A course with them, see if you can blag a quick go on an A training bike. That should help make your mind up.

There's no wrong answer. Plenty of us tooled around on a 125 for a while. Others went straight onto A. We all of us (axiomatically) lived to tell the tale.
ZX-7R This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:45 - 02 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Belting around country lanes on a 125 is great fun this time of year. That's how I did most of my practising.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

LongRoad
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:35 - 03 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies. I'll see how I get on next time before making the decision about what to do next.

I know you feel more planted on a 600 than the 125's because of the weight, so that might help as well. It was fairly windy on Saturday and there were some wobbly moments at slow speed!

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:44 - 03 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

LongRoad wrote:
Thanks for your replies. I'll see how I get on next time before making the decision about what to do next.

I know you feel more planted on a 600 than the 125's because of the weight, so that might help as well. It was fairly windy on Saturday and there were some wobbly moments at slow speed!

I rode my 125 for 2/3 years - Then booked my CBT. Shocked

Flew through the CBT though... Although I don't recommend that route! Laughing

LongRoad
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:51 - 03 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, knowing my luck if I was to even contemplate that, I'd be unfortunate enough to run into the police at the end of my street!

derillius24
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:07 - 03 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many will disagree, but I'm a big advocate of serving time on a 125 prior to ascending through the power and / or capacity ranks.

I spent about one year on a CG125 after CBT completion and I think there's a lot to be learned from doing so. Granted, they don't have much presence on the road and they don't always make overtakes easy, but I think if you're aware of those sort of things and learn to address them, it'll benefit you.

Even my old CG was good for 65-70mph, which is quicker than most things travel on NSL A roads. Overtakes were very possible, you just had to fully assess situations and plan several steps ahead - is that a bad thing for a rider 'in training'?. I don't think so. Ride in the gutter and traffic will take liberties, sure, but that'd probably be the case on a bigger bike as well if ridden in the same way.

My old man is a highly experienced rider and was always supportive of me getting into bikes from a young age, but always insisted that I 'worked up' through bikes in a progressive kind of way, so I'm undoubtedly biased in what I think is good advice. He always told me to start small and get something bigger when you're comfortable thrashing the smaller thing to bits. I personally think it's insane that someone can go from never having sat on a bike before to being fully licensed and riding a litre superbike in a matter of weeks. The, 'throttle goes both wais, m8' type arguments make me cringe.

Each to their own.

All the best with whatever you decide.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:13 - 03 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

derillius24 wrote:
I spent about one year on a CG125 after CBT completion and I think there's a lot to be learned from doing so.

What specific skills can only be learned by limiting yourself to a 125?

Which of them still apply when you're riding something bigger and quicker?

For context, I also spent a year on a 125, and enjoyed it.

However, with hindsight and honesty, it was a waste of time. I did it because it was easy and comfortable, not because it was useful. I could and should have got licensed up ASAP.

derillius24
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:35 - 03 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think riding a 125, due to its relative lack of poke, forces you to have to think hard about (and develop) your road-craft and forward planning. It's not that the controls work differently between a CG and a 'Blade, it's that on a 125 you cannot simply rely on power to get you out of trouble.

I believe that having to assess and think hard about everything around you before committing to an overtake, for example, is an incredibly important skill for a new rider to develop and something that is completely transferable to anything ridden in future and I think it's the limited power that makes you have to do this.

If you were on something bigger, say a 500 with 40-50bhp and with virtually no experience, then you mightn't ever go through the diligent planning / thinking processes. Complacency could well set in and there'd be limited forward planning, just 'get out my way, traffic, racebyker comin' through'!

As I say, I know many (most?) disagree but it is the way I've always felt about learning.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:18 - 03 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

derillius24 wrote:
If you were on something bigger, say a 500 with 40-50bhp

Why wouldn't you learn to plan for using that much power? Non-rhetorically.

And what does it matter as long as you don't drop down to a 125? Dropping significantly in power can lead to some brown trouser moves until you reset your head. Slower is not safer.

derillius24
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:40 - 03 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Why wouldn't you learn to plan for using that much power? Non-rhetorically.

You probably would, eventually, if you're sensible in your approach to learning your craft. My problem though, is that you mightn't ever go through the diligent planning / thinking processes because the power has probably allowed you to get away with every shit overtake you've 'sucessfully completed' i.e. not been killed to death in up until now.

What I'm getting at is a bike with little power, in my opinion, makes you use your head and forward plan more. It did me, anyway. A bike with loadsa go might coax a newer rider into bypassing that bit of the learning process because they feel they've enough power to dispatch anything without much thought.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:45 - 03 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

derillius24 wrote:
because they feel they've enough power to dispatch anything without much thought.

They do.

What's the problem?

derillius24
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:52 - 03 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

derillius24 wrote:
without much thought.

This is the problem. No thinking from a rider lacking virtually any experience, probably means no real planning, probably means soon to come a cropper.

Aceslock
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 16:14 - 03 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found that riding a 125 on L plates was good for practicing mod 1 maneuvers, U turns & slalom. It's easier on the bigger bikes, so if you learn to master it on a 125, happy days Thumbs Up

Even though i managed to crash mine (my own fault for looking at the speedo coming to a sharp bend) I think it benefited me in passing 1st time with minimum lesson hourage! If there is such a word Shocked

Plus i enjoyed it on my chinky Skyjet Laughing

natasha
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:57 - 04 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about Honda grom, although is manual but the handling is good.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:35 - 04 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting worried about Tef, he should have been here by now, wearing out another keyboard.

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:40 - 04 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
I'm getting worried about Tef, he should have been here by now, wearing out another keyboard.

Probably still typing?

Rogerborg wrote:
What specific skills can only be learned by limiting yourself to a 125?

Which of them still apply when you're riding something bigger and quicker?

For context, I also spent a year on a 125, and enjoyed it.

However, with hindsight and honesty, it was a waste of time. I did it because it was easy and comfortable, not because it was useful. I could and should have got licensed up ASAP.

Using cars as an example, I presume there are some stats somewhere that say young drivers and high powered cars don't mix too well, hence insurance premiums are sky high/unaffordable

I get what you're saying, and you can still potato yourself on a 125, but they can seem a lot less intimidating for people to learn to ride on

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:51 - 04 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: How To Progress Reply with quote

LongRoad wrote:
Once I complete my CBT, would I be better buying a 125cc and trying to get more road experience / confidence or progress straight on to the A license?

That's something to discuss with the riding school.
They can see how good you are and give you an informed opinion.
If you do go for the full licence (which would be my uninformed suggestion) then you need to appreciate that you don't have to get a real big bike straight away.
You can ride a 250 or 300 on a full licence...

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:23 - 05 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the 125 route and tbh unless you live in town they are so limited in usefulness (unless youre a masochist) that I never used it much. They wont keep up with dual carriageway speeds, tend to be light and get blown around a lot, are fairly hard work to make progress on and for the most part arent great for luggage. Of course Ed March will be along shortly to tell you how he's ridden most of the world on a C90 but there we go!

Once I'd done my proper test and bought a 'big bike' suddenly it seemed an easier choice somehow and it got a whole lot more use. Nothing will get you confidence and ability other than time on the bike.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:48 - 05 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: How To Progress Reply with quote

Alpineandy wrote:

If you're a skirt wearing nancy.

331X2
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 14:47 - 07 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pushed for my Mrs to go straight through her tests after she did her CBT but the school advised her to stick on a 125 for a year to get comfortable with riding a bike on the road so we stuck with what the experts suggested. After her first two hour ride she looked confident enough in my opinion to have a crack at a bigger bike...

I went straight through my tests and rode a Bandit 400 for a couple of years before flogging it and buying a GPZ500 to take me on a tour. Going straight for DAS doesn't mean you have to buy a 1000cc death weapon and some smaller bikes are very sedate at lower revs but have a bit more when you rev the knackers off them when confidence builds.

I've only rode a 125 on the road when I took my Mrs bike for an MOT as I did my CBT on a Bandit 600, while they're more forgiving if you get into a wobble on a slow speed manoeuvre and have to stick a foot down they feel a bit too light when you're out on the road.

There's a lot of interesting lightweight/middleweight bike around at the minute too...

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:34 - 08 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: How To Progress Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Alpineandy wrote:

If you're a skirt wearing nancy.

Yes Nancy, I agree Laughing

And I thought you wanted everyone to call your skirt a Kilt... Confused
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 356 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2