BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Which DSLR

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 08:55 - 03 Apr 2017    Post subject: Which DSLR Reply with quote

I’m looking to get the missus a DSLR to get her started. I have started looking and I’m pretty overwhelmed by what’s on offer.
I don’t mind second hand as a lot of these cameras are looked after or hardly used. I could stretch to £150 and from the looks of it I could get something pretty decent but I’m not entirely sure which models to keep my eye on.
Any advice welcome, I know the budget is fairly low to any of you keen photographers but as I said, this’ll be her first DSLR.

Cheers
Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:32 - 03 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

For that cash, something like a Canon 350d with some accessories like extra battery grip would be my choice. I would concentrate on getting a few lenses in with the bundle rather than worrying too much about what the body can do.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 09:59 - 03 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
For that cash, something like a Canon 350d with some accessories like extra battery grip would be my choice. I would concentrate on getting a few lenses in with the bundle rather than worrying too much about what the body can do.

Yeah I had spotted a few of those, they looked pretty good.
Is there a logical progression with model numbers?
So is the 350d better than the 100d for example? I’m just trying to figure out the ranges.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:51 - 03 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 350 is superseded by the 450 and 550 and 650 etc - these are budget range SLR's with plastic main body and no top function screen.

The 40, 50, 60 are the pro range with more features better sensors and more solid construction.

In reality the budget range is fine for a starter camera. I've still got my 350d and take good pictures with it. Unless the more expensive range comes up very cheap I'd not worry. Lenses more important - being able to experiment with different lens styles will help more in formulative years of photography.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 19:32 - 03 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Do you know anyone who already has a dSLR from whom you can borrow lenses, etc? If so I would be tempted to go for that system. Lenses are the expensive bit that lasts ages, while bodies seem to be more short lived

One issue with older cameras is getting spares. Eg, my Canon 1D mk2n needs a new shutter and Canon no longer supply them.

350D is a decent enough camera, Although for a small amount extra I would go for a 20D (quite a bit more solid, from their prosumer range).

Also depends on what you want to use it for. Sports use a fast autofocus is very useful. Landscape shots that is irrelevant. Even an old Canon D30 (3mp) can produce very nice shots given reasonable conditions.

All the best

Katy

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:31 - 03 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I'd get her an entry level Canon or Nikon, then once you know what kind of photography you know she likes let that dictate your next upgrade further down the line.....lens will of course move with you assuming you don't switch systems.

Like action? Canon 1D Mark II is still shit hot at 8FPS and the AF is amazing.

Like Still Life/Marco? Canon 5D.

I would go with one of the big systems as although Sony do some nice stuff, the Nikons and Canons are far better supported from the third party suppliers too.

Personally I use a Canon 60D at the moment, having had a couple of 1D Mark ii's, a 450D, and used a load of Nikons too. I have Canons as my personal cameras as that's what I started shooting with, but I use Nikon's for work too.

I'm not very up on bodies at the moment to be honest.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 10:27 - 04 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

How big are you hands? I find the Canon ###d series too small personally. Something You should be able to get a 20d/30d for that money.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:31 - 04 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
How big are you hands? I find the Canon ###d series too small personally.

I don't find my 350d too bad and I've quite big hands, but then I do have the extra battery grip.

I doubt his missus' hands are as big as mine Laughing

chris-red

PostPosted: 10:40 - 04 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
chris-red wrote:
How big are you hands? I find the Canon ###d series too small personally.

I don't find my 350d too bad and I've quite big hands, but then I do have the extra battery grip.

I doubt his missus' hands are as big as mine Laughing

I missed the missus part Laughing

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 15:14 - 05 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have smallish hands and she has smaller so the 350 seems a good size, I have held one.
I will take a look at the more pro range and think I will go for a canon for example over a Sony.

Thanks for all the input. One last question, being that some auctions are coming up with a lens or two, what lens would be handy for experimenting?

chris-red

PostPosted: 15:38 - 05 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

killa wrote:
I have smallish hands and she has smaller so the 350 seems a good size, I have held one.
I will take a look at the more pro range and think I will go for a canon for example over a Sony.

Thanks for all the input. One last question, being that some auctions are coming up with a lens or two, what lens would be handy for experimenting?

Consider looking at MPB, I doubt they are much dearer than ebay and come with a 6 month warranty.

As for lenses, stick with the 18-55 to start with once she vaguely knows what she is doing she will find the limitations of it and know what she will need to get the pictures she wants.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:47 - 05 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd recommend a nifty 50 - 50mm prime lens, 1.8 can be had for about 80 quid new from memory. Good portrait lens and will teach a lot more about low light and depth of field.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 23:09 - 05 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

killa wrote:

Check the local camera shops and also national ones (eg, Mifsuds and Park Cameras). Many will have 2nd hand stock.

Lens wise, depends on the photography she will be doing. A fast 50mm lens is well worth it, and the Canon 50mm f1.8 is cheap and not bad (but not exactly well made). The 50mm f1.4 is more expensive, but faster and far better made. For general use a fast 24-70 lens is a good general use lens but probably pushing your budget for now.

All the best

Katy

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 14:53 - 06 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for the input. Thumbs Up
All points considered, this looks like a good purchase;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Canon-EOS-350D-Digital-8-0-MP-Digital-SLR-Camera-BLACK-WITH-THREE-LENSES-/222453769835?hash=item33cb47266b:g:gtwAAOSw7aBVDK0N

One thing that concerns me before committing though is the fact the camera is 8.0 MP. Isn’t that pretty shite compared to todays standards?

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:05 - 06 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

First thing I'd do with that purchase is throw that "wide angle converter" in the bin.

I used one, once, and never got along with it. Felt funny attaching to the glass of the lens and didn't trust it much. Results where pants. I've since lost it <sadface>. I don't they're anything but an aftermarket cheap accessory.

FYI is all based on my experience. Wouldn't be buying that kit thinking it adds any value to the bundle.

8mp isn't great but good cameras aren't cheap. I'd say 20-24mp is about right and anything above that you're getting into huge file sizes and un-needed resolution for the bog standard home user.

In truth a pro photog could make a good image with the worst of cameras, I wouldn't get caught up in all the tech specs to start out with.

Take a look on here:
https://pixelpeeper.com/cameras/?camera=5

Although be aware, as people have said, they're taken with a range of lenses and it's all about glass.

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 15:16 - 06 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
First thing I'd do with that purchase is throw that "wide angle converter" in the bin.

I used one, once, and never got along with it. Felt funny attaching to the glass of the lens and didn't trust it much. Results where pants. I've since lost it <sadface>. I don't they're anything but an aftermarket cheap accessory.

I did see a good Sony for £150, 20.1 MP or so. Looked like a nice body etc but when I asked someone I know about it, they did mention that you might not be able to get cheap enough lenses as it’s Sony not Canon. It had no view finder either. The reviews were pretty good but I can never tell if they are pro’s or not.

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 15:21 - 06 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a 500d

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Canon-ESO-500d-Digital-Camera/292074861721?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D40656%26meid%3D89ebfbfb277c4ababa2b08c0259ba2e9%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D122422042331

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:29 - 06 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://uk.webuy.com/search/index.php?stext=canon§ion=

https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/used-equipment/used-photo-and-video/used-digital-slr-cameras/used-canon-digital-slr-cameras/

https://www.camerajungle.co.uk/cameras/digital-slr-cameras/canon

Cex are alright but you're probably not getting premium goods with them regardless of their condition rating.

I ordered was MPB and was very happy.

Camera Jungle is associated with Jessops and therefore while I've not ordered why I add it to the list.

Cannon confuses me. I'll let you pick through what to spend your wonga on.

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 15:41 - 06 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a look over the MPD site and they look great. The only issue is, I have to ensure I have everything to get going, with lens and everything. It'll be over budget but I understand I only get what I pay for.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 21:46 - 06 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I wouldn't worry about 8mp. I have seen very nice prints close to A2 size taken from a 3mp camera. Lenses are the important bit long term

All the best

Katy

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 16:19 - 07 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

£150 is pretty low for a DSLR though.

Double that and you would get something semi decent

Baggyman
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 16:42 - 09 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody has aske yet so.....

Why a DSLR specifically?

You can get manual controls on other cameras and potentially more usability if you/your Mrs. can't be arsed to lug the bag of lenses around or plan your photo shoots in advance.

It really is about being clear about what you want to do with it. IMHO the best camera is the one you will actually have with you.

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 09:19 - 11 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baggyman wrote:

Why a DSLR specifically?

You can get manual controls on other cameras and potentially more usability if you/your Mrs. can't be arsed to lug the bag of lenses around or plan your photo shoots in advance.

It really is about being clear about what you want to do with it. IMHO the best camera is the one you will actually have with you.

I honestly wouldn’t know what camera would be a good alternative to something with interchangeable lenses and all the tricks in manual.
It’s something for her to learn and develop really, not just a point and shoot sort of thing.
I think I will increase the budget a little as I know I will use the camera to, maybe she can buy lenses if I get the main body and stuff at a good price.

chris-red

PostPosted: 11:15 - 11 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry about mega pixels and lenses

I started with a £90 8mp DSLR and I still reckon that camera could hold it's own against modern stuff in a lot of circumstance.

Your budget of £150 is great for a beginner. Worse case scenario she gets bored and you flog it on for a similar amount.

I'd just get a cheap camera and kit lens. Then from using that she can discover what she needs from a camera and lens. There is no point buying a telephoto lens if she decides landscape photography is where it is at.

If she gets into it she will work out what she actually needs, so 3-6 months down the line she might buy a lens she actually can get the most use out of.

Think of it in bike terms, if you've never ridden a bike and are buying a new one there is no point eying up quickshifters or suspension upgrades till you have ridden it and got a feel for what you want to do.

Baggyman
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 15:49 - 11 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

killa wrote:
Baggyman wrote:

Why a DSLR specifically?

I honestly wouldn’t know what camera would be a good alternative to something with interchangeable lenses and all the tricks in manual.
It’s something for her to learn and develop really, not just a point and shoot sort of thing.

I think I will increase the budget a little as I know I will use the camera to, maybe she can buy lenses if I get the main body and stuff at a good price.

It all depends what you want to do with it. You can get manual controls on a lot of bridge cameras - and even on some point and shoot. Single lens but quite flexible - and some with superzoom if that fits your planned use. I use micro 4/3 (big sensor and interchangeable lenses) but I do underwater stuff so the smaller form factor when inside a waterproof housing and with all the light arms is important for me. I also have a superzoom bridge lying around as it is so versatile and even get a lot of fun out of a really old Canon 570is which also has the advantage of fitting in my pocket. Check out what you can do with CHDK.

But as I said it all goes back to what you intend to do. A better question will help generate a better answer
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 353 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2