Which DSLR

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:28 - 11 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baggyman wrote:

It all depends what you want to do with it. You can get manual controls on a lot of bridge cameras - and even on some point and shoot.

From what I'm reading I think the answer is just to learn photography. I'd suggest the SLR is an easier base than a PaS or bridge with M settings.

My Sony PaS is (was?) top of the range and has manual settings but it's nowhere near as flexible as my 350D is in that regard.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 10:00 - 12 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so I’m getting to know my way around some of the cameras and the functionality now. Thanks for all the input by the way.
I have some questions now. Some people mention the sensor in listings, saying ‘the sensor has been cleaned’ what are they talking about? Also with a second hand body it seems to be worth knowing just how many times the cameras aperture has been shut (shutter count).
As for the MP count. Does this simply affect how much you can zoom into a photo, once it is on your PC?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Going
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 16:38 - 12 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

killa wrote:
Ok so I’m getting to know my way around some of the cameras and the functionality now. Thanks for all the input by the way.
I have some questions now. Some people mention the sensor in listings, saying ‘the sensor has been cleaned’ what are they talking about? Also with a second hand body it seems to be worth knowing just how many times the cameras aperture has been shut (shutter count).
As for the MP count. Does this simply affect how much you can zoom into a photo, once it is on your PC?

Sensor has been cleaned, means the sensor should be clean Smile A dirty sensor my show spots on your photos. If done improperly the sensor maybe scrached or damaged. Always check. Light dust can be blown off woth a hand blower thing.

Lower shutter count is usally better (for camera life) and not really been used for pro use (like weddings). Some cameras you can find out what the maxium shutter count should be before failer. Not the be all and end all but nice to know.

Higher MP count should allow more detail when you ditaly zoom in a photo. 20MP will show finer detail than 10MP zoomed in at 100%. Same as printing to a degree. There will be less light going to each pixel on the 20MP vs 10MP on the same size senor which could mean more nosie in lower light.

Take all this with a pinch of salt from an armchair photographer Smile

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 23:17 - 12 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

The sensors get dirty and a tiny piece of dirt can show up on the image. How much will depend on aperture (they are REALLY obvious if you drill a tiny hole in a body cap and use it as a pinhole camera). Newer models tend to have a sensor cleaning mechanism when the camera is turned on.

Shutter actuations is important. From memory the estimated life of the consumer Canon dSLR (ie, 350D) was 50K actuations, the prosumer Canon dSRL (ie, 20D) was 100k actuations and for the professional bodies (ie, 1D) it was 200k actuations. A new shutter is not cheap, even if Canon will still supply the parts. My 1D had a new shutter at 188k actuations, although probably didn't need it I was being paranoid and decided to get it done as it was close to life expectancy. The replacement has died with minimal use (well under 30k).

MP is the number of pixels. But those pixels are also smaller, and quite possibly less defined as the lenses are less able to control the image accurately enough. You can zoom in a touch more probably, but it is not a good option compared to framing the shot correctly in the first place. Also remember that the mp count increases rapidly as it is the result of multiplying the vertical and horizontal resolutions. So 8.6mp is an image of 3600 pixels x 2400 pixels. 15.3mp sounds a lot bigger but is only an increase to 4800 pixels x 3200 pixels

All the best

Katy
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 9 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2