Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

No spark although current present. HONDA CG125

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

rossr
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:34 - 03 Apr 2017    Post subject: No spark although current present. HONDA CG125 Reply with quote

Hi,

I am trying to fault find on my non starting 1988 Honda CG125 Brazil. It has been sitting for several months over winter as i was abroad and now it won't start on my return.

Having changed the fuel for fresh stuff and cleaning the carb, i realised that i couldn't see a spark when i removed the plug and held it on the chassis and gave it a kick. The plug was a bit sooty (black) but wasn't wet. I got a new plug, but still no spark. Interestingly however, i notice there is voltage present at the plug, as i get a jolt if i hold the metal.

Has anyone experienced this or have any ideas?

I made some repairs on it in October/November last year, and it ran following the work done then. But as i say it has sat idle since then.

Cheers,
Ross Cool

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:22 - 03 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried it with plug cap removed and holding the h.t. lead nearly touching the engine?

Petemate
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:36 - 03 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaffa90 wrote:
Have you tried it with plug cap removed and holding the h.t. lead nearly touching the engine?

"Touch not the cable of thine HT lead, for it biteth like the asp and stingeth like the adder"

The above is a quote from an early 1964 issue of MPH, the magazine of the Vincent Owners Club.

I personally, when wishing to check for a spark, simply unscrew the cap, and place the cable snugly between a pair of engine fins. The spark should be nice and bright blue. Sorry to the owners of liquid-cooled engines which tend not to have fins - some resourcefulness needed there.

I will now apply the kiss of death to my trusty steed by stating that since owning this miracle grey import LA250 Custom, it has never failed to start and has never missed a beat. Report tomorrow. LOL.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:38 - 03 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone's getting electrocuted. Laughing

Petemate
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:49 - 03 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
Someone's getting electrocuted. Laughing

Learnt the hard way in 1954 while riding a mate's 1951 Speed Twin in the rain. The engine suddenly lost power, and I looked down to note that the left plug lead had jumped off. So, thinking quickly, and as I was able to maintain throttle with my right hand, I simply reached down and grabbed the flaying lead with the intention of just 'popping it on'. Er - big mistake, one I have never repeated. How I managed to stop I will never know.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

rossr
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:06 - 05 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response.

Unfortunately the problem remains, although on the upside i didn't get electrocuted!! Every cloud and all that....

There was no sign of a spark when i removed the cap and earthed the HT lead. I suspect i will now have to have a look at the points and check everything is ok there.

Wish me luck as I've never done this before
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 23 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1