Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

ULEZ London - date set.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:21 - 15 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
True that. As mentioned elsewhere, the ER6 was Euro3 compliant from its introduction in 2006, but only ones registered from mid 2007 are exempt.

My 2008 registered Enfield is considered to be Euro3 despite being new-old-stock with a de-catted, de-constricted exhaust and full fat carb.

It's an artificial, arbitrary distinction, but when's that ever stopped The Man?

And I fully agree that the congestion / LEZ / ULEZ is a tempting template for other cities. Its only a matter of finding the budget to put up enough cameras so that they can start raking in that juicy revenue.

I'm quite a-scared that Glasgow are on the verge of it although I reckon I should be good for a few more years.

Irony of ironies, the impetus may be Hope Street which is chokey-death because of, wait for it, all the buses, black cabs and private hires idling there waiting to pick up passengers from Central Station, none of whose behaviour will be affected by it in any way.

Thanks, public transport, great job. Thumbs Up

Similar problem in London, where the two highest levels are Oxford Street (no vehicular access to anything but buses and taxis) and areas of Euston Road, which is almost always gridlocked.

Also, Euston Road contains Kings Cross, St Pancras and Euston stations, which have large quantities of diesel trains, sitting at idle for long periods of time - these have no emissions controls whatsoever.

Coming hot on the heels of London, in terms of emissions content, is Southampton, where they have diesel cruise ships docked, with their engines idling to power their electricity generators - no emission control on them either.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:37 - 15 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
Also, Euston Road contains Kings Cross, St Pancras and Euston stations, which have large quantities of diesel trains, sitting at idle for long periods of time - these have no emissions controls whatsoever.

Also doesn't help it's on the edge of the congestion (and future ultra-low emission) zone.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:39 - 15 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:

Coming hot on the heels of London, in terms of emissions content, is Southampton, where they have diesel cruise ships docked, with their engines idling to power their electricity generators - no emission control on them either.

Not strictly true. Commercial shipping engines have to be NOX and SOX compliant, be that modern engines or scrubbers on the exhaust. All ships have to carry low sulphur diesel for use in territorial waters before changing back to the dirty cheap(er) heavy fuel oil at sea. When you consider cruise ships can burn 80 tonnes of diesel a day, costs are paramount to the fleet operators.

Shipping exhaust emissions are much more strictly monitored than vehicle exhaust emissions.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:37 - 15 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tankie wrote:
Go for something like a Kawasaki Z1 /Z900 ,orZ1300,
it just has to have been built/ on the road before 1976

At the prices these are advertised for these days, might be cheaper just to pay for a ULEZ compliant bike.

Is it still possible to buy an Abbott self-propelled gun and drive it straight through the classic vehicles tax exemption? Twisted Evil
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:53 - 15 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long route for a short cut, but I wonder what would happen if you had an existing 2006 bike, took it for an MSVA and said "Yeah, 'rebuilt vehicle', 2017 registration please".

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-approval/motorcycle-single-vehicle-approval

Looks like you can just apply for a new VIN and replace whatever's on it. Eternal-SORN on the old one, I guess.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:01 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, hang on, I've just seen this:

If your vehicle meets the required Euro emission standard, it will be compliant with ULEZ.

The ULEZ standard is:

Euro 3 for motorcycles

Please contact your vehicle manufacturer if you think that your vehicle met the required Euro emission standard before the mandatory emission standards came into effect.

No information on what you can do about it if you have, for example, a Euro3 2006 ER6. But they do seem to be at least contemplating the situation.

However, they do also assume that everything registered after 1st July 2007 is Euro3, which is clearly twonk. Whistle

Undinist
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 18:52 - 26 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

People, remember that ULEZ is enforced by cameras. If your stinky old shed is, like mine, immune to cameras, just cruise around spraying your filth everywhere at no charge. It's not as if Plod will care. Since the traffic cars got ANPR they've all been too busy fighting crime to have time for any traffic work, except for measuring the skid marks after somebody's died. And since Borough Market they barely even have time for crime. Of course if you want an excuse to buy a shiny clean bike, go for it. But it really isn't necessary.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:37 - 26 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Undinist wrote:
[I'm so gangsta]

Yes, you've said.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:51 - 30 Jun 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadiq Khan just sodded off a Transport meeting of the London Assembly. Red Ken and Boris always attended. Khan had better things to do, apparently.

Enjoy.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 192 days between these two posts...

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 15:51 - 08 Jan 2018    Post subject: re Reply with quote

bit of a bump, was there any updates on this wrt motorbikes? fancy a new bike but was looking at an 03 rr which i would use commuting so would be a no no if this is still set to go ahead for motorbikes by apr 2019

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:54 - 08 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

No change. I don't recall seeing any further challenge. They appear to be sticking fingers in ears and going LA LA LA.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:27 - 08 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hang on, MAG have have opened a dialog, and expect to hear back from Sadiq's deputy assistance junior backup transport secretary's receptionist any day now.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:07 - 08 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Hang on, MAG have have opened a dialog, and expect to hear back from Sadiq's deputy assistance junior backup transport secretary's receptionist any day now.

My goodness, how could I forget that MAG have got their horns locked into it. The white knight that shines as it rolleth over those hills.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:37 - 08 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did we ever work out what was going on with the ULEZ checker?

Just checked again, '03 CBR600RR subject to ULEZ, '53 plate CBR600RR not subject to the ULEZ Confused

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:15 - 10 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

Just checked again, '03 CBR600RR subject to ULEZ, '53 plate CBR600RR not subject to the ULEZ Confused

I shall refer to my question in the consultation questionnaire - since motorcycles have never been subject to an annual emissions test at MOT (unlike cars) when will they be introducing this and when will they make the emissions criteria widely and easily available?

I would also be asking when I can book my FREE emissions test, to prove my machine does/doesn't come up to the required standard.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:54 - 11 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
M.C wrote:

I shall refer to my question in the consultation questionnaire - since motorcycles have never been subject to an annual emissions test at MOT (unlike cars) when will they be introducing this and when will they make the emissions criteria widely and easily available?

I would also be asking when I can book my FREE emissions test, to prove my machine does/doesn't come up to the required standard.

That's one of the many ways it's bullshit. The other is that the real cut-off date (July 2007) means a bunch of 2-strokes (and other non-Euro 3 bikes) squeak in, whilst some Euro 3 bikes don't.

Another flaw in the system, I just checked two 55 plate MX5s, one was subject to ULEZ the other was not, because one was registered in September 2005 and the other January 2006.

pooterer
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 10:20 - 11 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is there any easy way to find out what will be exempt or not? like some sort of online checker or is it purely by registered date? and what is that exact date exactly?

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 10:37 - 11 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

pooterer wrote:
So is there any easy way to find out what will be exempt or not? like some sort of online checker or is it purely by registered date? and what is that exact date exactly?

Your V5 should say what 'Euro' it is. if it is 3 you are ok.

pooterer
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 10:45 - 11 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
pooterer wrote:

Your V5 should say what 'Euro' it is. if it is 3 you are ok.

Man i must be blind or something, i've scanned all over my V5 and cant find any reference to "euro" anything anywhere.

Just FYI its a 2013 T-max 530.

Where abouts on the V5 would i find this info?

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:54 - 11 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

pooterer wrote:

There is an online checker. As per posts above, it's crap.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:20 - 11 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
Your V5 should say what 'Euro' it is.

Nope.

Nope.

Nope.

pooterer
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 11:22 - 11 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
pooterer wrote:

There is an online checker. As per posts above, it's crap.

Yes, ive checked there also and it shows no label related to "Euro" anything. There is a "Vehicle Type Approval" which is noted as "L3", does this mean anything?

chris-red

PostPosted: 11:25 - 11 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
chris-red wrote:

Nope.

Nope.

Nope.

Mine does.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:58 - 11 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
chris-red wrote:

Nope.

Nope.

Nope.

What Would Ste Say?

chris-red

PostPosted: 12:36 - 11 Jan 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

Nope.

Nope.

Nope.

What Would Ste Say?

Cats, Rainpal, Fite IRL etc.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 78 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6