BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Hankering after a scooter...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:12 - 05 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my lads has a Street Triple but him and his mates with similar bikes all decided to buy 'cheap shitters' for summer laughs
( guess who's fixing it up though)
Its a Yiying Tommy aka Lexmoto Valencia and eleventy other names.
125 4 stroke, 152 QMI/GY6 lump, retro looking twist and go thing
Dead easy to get cheap parts for and simple things to work on.

I brought it back here to do the work on and I wouldn't mind a similar thing to hack about the city on, sod all that gear changing and clutchery when yer only off to the shops or part stores.
I know of a couple of bike shops that use them for just this purpose

you're not going burst into tears if you bash or scratch a cheap shitter are you?
Sod all that 'real biker' bollox, get yer legs akimbo on a scoot
gwan!

mattyfattyboo...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:58 - 05 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had similar thoughts end of last summer, I've always had a scooter itch, since I was 13 and rode a Typhoon 80 around Crete.

I started looking about, I decided to go for something that had the biggest engine in the smallest bike. Looked at Runners, the 180/200 MK1 were too old and abused, the newer ones were still only 200 and not overly powerful. I didnt want a big touring type so in the end I went for a Piaggio BV350. It's a little larger than a Runner or a 125 size bike but not massive, still easy to chuck about and squeeze through traffic and has a 33bhp motor.

I got it end of September, not used it a huge amount but it's a right laugh to hoon about on. I just wack the throttle open, slight delay then it flies up the road, it's deceiving how fast you're going, I guess due to the lack of gears. It's returning 70mpg and thats with me ragging the nuts off it everywhere, sits at 80 easy, will do 90ish if you want it to. Loads of space for shit under the seat, I really enjoy it. The man maths was for it to be used for work through summer and save me some money but tbh even if I dont I'm still keeping it Laughing Yeah, some bikers will take the piss, but I dont care. Cool

https://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y255/matt1chelski/Motorbikes/43E5546C-E3F0-450B-B9EF-BCB4B0F65ED2_zpsgkqkdzwo.jpg

My old man went and got a GTS300 which is good fun too, bit more nimble around town but not as quick or comfortable/stable as the BV at speed. We should have a laugh on them over summer.

https://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y255/matt1chelski/37E75739-9E10-4AED-B8A2-9FA6F1A1F8FC_zpsfdkr72nk.jpg

oscar777
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:01 - 05 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather crawl through broken glass.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:47 - 05 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:

you're not going burst into tears if you bash or scratch a cheap shitter are you?
Exactly my thoughts on my Xenter.

daverave999
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:05 - 06 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've got to say I'm surprised at the amount of love for scooters! So was my mrs. Very Happy

I like the idea of biggest engine in smallest package, so will investigate stuff like the Piaggio BV350, thanks. Problem being that I've not really got enough room for another vehicle in the back garden, so it's going to have to be small to get into the front yard.

I'm feeling the same idea as others have mentioned that it's not something they want to care about. I think I just want something to nip to the shops on, and fancied an opportunity to play with an auto. Getting the V out is too much for that. Maybe even a 50 will do me, but if you're saying they're going to be ragged by the teens at my price range, I might look at something a bit different like the C90 or similar.

Will update if it goes anywhere...

[EDIT] I do like the more chavvy looking ones too, though I know that probably makes them more thievable. I'm just not keen on the Vespa look. Never saw myself as a Mod; it appears I'm quite happy with looking like a chav though. Shocked

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:20 - 06 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattyfattyboomboom wrote:
Piaggio BV350.

Huh, I'm looking on https://www.uk.piaggio.com/piaggio/UK/en/modelli-intro/view-the-full-range.html and I don't see a "BV".

Is there some other name that it might go by, perchance? Whistle

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:47 - 06 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Piaggio BV350.

Huh, I'm looking on https://www.uk.piaggio.com/piaggio/UK/en/modelli-intro/view-the-full-range.html and I don't see a "BV".

Nowt wrong with Beverlys, we've got a 125 Beverly as a work hack and it's an absolute hoot.

Our's is an import and I'm tempted to say it's unrestricted (assuming Euro versions are more than 12bhp, or whatever our regs are this week) as I've outdragged plenty of other 125 scoots at the traffic light GP.

It's got big wheels, a fat comfy seat, good brakes and loads of storage; the only thing I'm not mad about is the high speed handling - it feels like it's veering towards oversteer, but you get used to it.

The big engined Bev would appeal to me, as would the Yam Versity.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:59 - 07 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see plenty of people riding to work or just round town/to the shops on the more grown up sensible style of scooters at the moment. Its not just kids on noisy race piped 50's like it used to be.

I've grown up and changed too, and having a cheap little plastic simple fuel sipper that I don't particularly give the slightest shit about is appealing as a spare set or wheels or just a hack for fetching crap on, that I don't want to use my car for, which I'm too precious over to take out on every day A-B stuff anyway.

I'll keep one eye open for a 3-5year old cheap scooter of 100-250cc and get whatever comes up local and cheap, so I can use it when needed and leave it in the garden under a cover when I've got more exciting things to do like long awaited KMX tuning parts to fit and set up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mattyfattyboo...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:41 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

daverave999 wrote:

I like the idea of biggest engine in smallest package, so will investigate stuff like the Piaggio BV350, thanks. Problem being that I've not really got enough room for another vehicle in the back garden, so it's going to have to be small to get into the front yard.

[EDIT] I do like the more chavvy looking ones too, though I know that probably makes them more thievable. I'm just not keen on the Vespa look. Never saw myself as a Mod; it appears I'm quite happy with looking like a chav though. Shocked

I fit mine through my back gate most of the time, although I stick it in the garage in winter if I'm not using it for a while.

I rather the 'sports' style scooters, Runners etc but the Vespa has got a certain charm.

Rogerborg wrote:
Piaggio BV350.

Very Happy Ah yes, Beverly is a bit of a mouthful so I've got in the habit of shortening it to BV, which I think is what many other countries call it anyway. Plus Beverly sounds gay Af Laughing

haroman666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:05 - 11 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
saying I want a bike because I used to having a clutch on the left bar and want to feel in control is not a valid point or any benefit.

I think the issue with this is more that being so conditioned to use that as a clutch instead of a rear brake, makes it feel somewhat slightly dangerous.

Case and point, when one pulls away from a set of traffic lights and pulls that left hand lever with the full force and intention that one would as if it were a clutch, to then find themselves sliding off the front of the seat with the rear wheel locked up, and traffic behind not expecting an accelerating bike to stop so suddenly, it makes you ponder that riding a scooter is best not done in such nonchalant manner having ridden geared bikes for 6 years prior.
I speak from experience there.

I find myself far more comfortable on a geared bike in ANY situation than a scooter. That's coming from someone who has commuted in London on a VTR1000.

ScottT
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:28 - 11 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand your point about being conditioned into using a clutch lever, all i ever do at the lights is sit there with the back brake on and release the lever as i set off, just like using a clutch. I've never gone 5m and pulled my back brake to change gear though, and if i did its a cable operated rear drum its hardly likely to lock the wheel and throw me off!

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:31 - 11 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't say I had that issue riding a scooter. Don't have it riding a pushbike either.

myvision
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:54 - 11 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the scooter club as well.

Doink
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 02:56 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scooters just feel too unstable for me, rode my mates PSX i think it was and he had some 300cc scooter too which was equally scary.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:16 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

myvision wrote:
I'm in the scooter club as well.

that looks smart for its age

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:18 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only scooter I've ever ridden was a Forza 300 I rented in Mallorca. It felt more stable and was more comfortable with a pillion than my er6. Actually quite liked it. The suspension wasn't great with bumps though, quite jarring.

daverave999
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:43 - 02 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: if I do eventually get one, it ain't going to have a small engine. This rules it out for the time being because of space constraints.

Tried a mate's CBF125 this weekend and OMFG those things are underpowered. Like riding a mountain bike powered by a sewing machine.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:38 - 02 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My pal was just given a 2006 Yamaha Cygnus 125... For free. Was a runner and it even had some MOT.
We went and collected it on Saturday in my van. Thumbs Up

Cygnus vs Xenter hijnks come the summer. Mate has to do his CBT first.

myvision
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:04 - 02 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

daverave999 wrote:
Update: if I do eventually get one, it ain't going to have a small engine. This rules it out for the time being because of space constraints.

Tried a mate's CBF125 this weekend and OMFG those things are underpowered. Like riding a mountain bike powered by a sewing machine.

Do you a deal on my Burgman 400.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:25 - 02 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like my 50cc it's quite good fun. Thumbs Up

Marclev
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 23:52 - 02 May 2017    Post subject: Re: Hankering after a scooter... Reply with quote

daverave999 wrote:
Yeah I know. Never been on one, but they do look like a laugh.
Even my wife (a non-biker) is ripping the piss.

Not really got space for a second big bike, though that does appear to have got the thumbs up from the mrs.

I've asked on facebook and nobody in my area has one I can try. Do I just buy some £200 thing from Gumtree to play with for a bit, get out on the Versys more or what?

Suggestions welcome...

Rented a 50cc Vespa when we were on holiday in Rome, it was great fun. You did however have to rag the thing to bits to get it to actually get to and maintain 30mph (which was about all that was feasible on those roads anyhow, so was fine). It had a surprising amount of cargo space, so would be ideal for shopping trips.

A 125 would probably be quite ok as long as you can live with a top speed of about 65 (I'd guess).

You wouldn't get any nods off anybody though, if that sort of thing bothers you.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:09 - 03 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found with my 50 if I roll off the throttle on a steep hill it goes faster. I got 35 out of it with a closed throttle on a steep hill yesterday.

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:28 - 03 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
getting the same response from the same throttle opening every time got dull pretty quickly

Efficiently matching repeatable acceleration response to traffic gaps makes city commuting on a scooter almost like a video game. If you're not filtering in and around a city, or using it more like a motorized seat for random low-speed sightseeing, you're missing much of the point.

My current commute from Enfield to Farringdon has a sufficiently long straight road that I'm contemplating getting a Ninja 250 or CB500 instead. The other bonus would be less frequent fill-ups.

mattyfattyboo...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:15 - 06 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marclev wrote:

You wouldn't get any nods off anybody though, if that sort of thing bothers you.

Very Happy I quickly noticed this, no fucker pays me any attention on a scooter, it's funny though the other way around, when I nod at scooters on my bike and they dont expect it.

[quote="barrkel"]
Rogerborg wrote:
getting the same response from the same throttle opening every time got dull pretty quickly

Efficiently matching repeatable acceleration response to traffic gaps makes city commuting on a scooter almost like a video game. If you're not filtering in and around a city, or using it more like a motorized seat for random low-speed sightseeing, you're missing much of the point./quote]

Thats it, nail on the head. I am either bumbling along or squeezing between traffic to get to work asap. I went to my uncles in London last night, I'm going to take the scooter next time for sure, luckily he has a garage to put it in when I get there.

Adam80UK
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 01:18 - 08 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on my second Honda SH300i, and I love it. But I expect something like that would be a larger footprint in your garage than you are looking for (when compared to a chav 50/125).
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 349 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3