Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

GPZ 500S Oil Leak

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

dn38416
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:30 - 04 Apr 2017    Post subject: GPZ 500S Oil Leak Reply with quote

Hi,

I've noticed a slow oil leak from the bottom of the filter. I've changed the oil and filter on it quite a few times and had no issues. In any case i appreciate it sounds like this (https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=4276711) and will empty and re-tighten it on the weekend, might as well get a new filter.

But aside from me tightening it while it's full of oil. I've also noticed the acceleration is much less responsive especially noticeable as it struggles to climb at medium to high revs which didn't happen before - could there be something up with the oil pressure? The light isn't on, but the timing coincides with the leak.

Talking of which, where exactly is the crankcase breather hose? I can't see anything labelled as such in either the Haynes manual or the online parts diagram, would be v.useful if someone could point it out.

On a separate but still 'my bike is getting fcked' note, my brand new rear BT45 has got a massive gash in the centre of the tyre. The stone that came out of it was as least as deep as the tread. (pic to follow) what's the standard guidance - am i supposed to get it patched up or is there something i can do myself?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:39 - 04 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If oil pressure is affecting performance, your engine is already scrap. So I doubt it's that. A mid-range hole could be a clogged or disintegrating air filter so I'd check that.

You're sure you've not overfilled it? Oil level should be between the two marks on the sight glass with the bike level. (have to ask, more than one person has brimmed their engine with oil).

If the gash is as deep as the tread, carry on, the tread is solid rubber. It's when it goes deeper than the tread you might be worried but even then, if there's no air coming out, I'd probably just keep an eye on it. You need to repair it when it becomes a hole, otherwise there's nothing to repair.

As I recall, the crankcase breather is directly under the carbs and is routed into the bottom of the airbox.

dn38416
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 22:52 - 04 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks stink, i normally fill it just to the top of the sight glass. I'll take a bit out and see if that does anything for performance. I'm definitely getting more vibrations over 5k rpm than before, and it really struggles going from about 60-80mph.

Only other think i can think of that was different this time i changed the oil was i overtightened it a bit, but literally only about half a turn - then undone it and went back to what i thought was the correct torque - so not enough to crack anything.

Chris45
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:31 - 05 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oil leak from the filter "may" just be a seal issue. Check the filter and housing surface for any rough edges and make sure the filter sits square to the surface when bolting up.

I have always filled the sump to the top of the sight glass. These engines need plenty of it, but as mentioned, don't overfill it.

Poor acceleration could be a seperate issue. Is the engine idling okay? Can you blip it and hear the engine return to idle normally? If the bike is accelerating poorly at a certain range, I'd start by looking for minor splits in pipes or general carb area.

The crankcase breather is the black pipe underneath the bike, around the swingarm pivot area. These do get really clogged up and mine was blocked, which was probably another reason for some rough idling and poor running on mine last year.

My 500s had poor running last year, but I could smell the petrol! It was leaking from the fuel tap area. Always start with the simple stuff, and progress from there.

I wouldn't feel too comfy about riding a bike with a deep gash in the tyre, at speed and with the enormous stresses on the tyre. I'd bin it for my own peace of mind.

Hope the above assists, let us know how you get on.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:14 - 05 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris45 wrote:

The crankcase breather is the black pipe underneath the bike, around the swingarm pivot area.

No it isn't. That's an overflow pipe from either the airbox, the fuel overflow or the coolant overflow.

The crankcase breather is, as I said, on top of the engine, just below the carbs with a rubber hose running into the airbox. Circled red.

Do check that air filter OP. Also check the plug recesses/caps and replace the plugs relatively early on in proceedings if you're getting nowhere.

dn38416
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 09:19 - 08 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant, thanks for that guys - looks like a lot of work to get to that breather hose. I've got a new filter now so i'll do a clean up and replace today and let you know how i get on. Might try and give the air filter a clean in the process of getting to the breather hose - but it's only 3 months old i can't think what might have buggered it.

On the tyre front i actually caught a massive screw through it yesterday so had to get it patched anyway. Will get a stop n go for next time.

dn38416
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 18:21 - 08 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

changed the filter and where there was a leak i found a hardened residue on the ring where the engine mates with the filter seal. I don't know if that was a symptom or cause tbh - but if the latter then that would account for why the filter didn't seat right.

Just realised the air filter requires getting the tank off, i've got a few other things to do under there so waiting for parts and will use the easter weekend.

I still quite like working on this bike, even though it takes me roughly 6x longer to do anything than a professional. Confused

Chris45
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:30 - 08 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I still quite like working on this bike, even though it takes me roughly 6x longer to do anything than a professional.

It's all part of the enjoyment and satisfaction of knowing you've done the job yourself, on your own bike, and how you build up that knowledge base of your machine. Bikers are dedicated to their bikes in a way car owners could never understand or appreciate. And yes, I own a new car - it's just a box on wheels that takes me to work/Tesco/visit the mother-in-law.

dn38416
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 21:48 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

right, air filter is still in good shape - i've taken it out to give it a wash and re-oil (is 10w40 ok?), crankcase breather hose was clean although there was traces of oil in the part of the airbox before the filter. Maybe it's all in my head, or any other reasons for poor acceleration and a widening flat spot?

Got rid of the oil leak now as per the poor seating. And my rear tyre is going from bad to worse, picked up the second screw in under 2 weeks.

dn38416
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 10:56 - 23 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

update: thanks Stink, a minimal clean out of the air filter and box has produced a noticable different to the acceleration and feel of the bike.

In fact i find it a bit hard to believe how this has had such an effect - all i did was a rinse with soapy water, dry and coat with oil - then cleaned out some of the crud from the top of the swingarm while i had everything off. Was going to switch over the spark plugs as well, but they were too much of a faff to get undone and all the other stuff out the way + there's always the crud that's accumulated around the holes.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:10 - 24 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

dn38416 wrote:
Was going to switch over the spark plugs as well, but they were too much of a faff to get undone and all the other stuff out the way + there's always the crud that's accumulated around the holes.

Says you and how many previous owners?

When you do decide to do them, feed them WD40 for a couple of days (there's a drain hole between the fake cooling fins on either side, stick the straw up it and squirt). That will loosen up any crud and fine gravel so when you pull the plug caps, you can blast it out with an airline (goggles!). Then you need a long reach tube/box spanner to get them out.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 358 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1