Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

palmer
Fiddled Kiddy

PostPosted: 22:21 - 01 Sep 2004    Post subject: GPR50 Reply with quote

im DEFO geting myself one of these, when is another story though Sad

a GPR50 ... motogp styling, liquid cooled, all the best bits included

a stonking 9bhp (check other 50's, ull see they r mostly all under 5bhp) 70mph (ish) de-restricted, im just going to ignore the law and derestrict, if i fall off im screwed but its a price im willing to pay!!! im in love

Lee_367
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 23:10 - 01 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't do it, i bought a new 50cc when i was 16 and am still regretting it. They just lose so much money, and in the end you only keep them for a year. Confused

palmer
Fiddled Kiddy

PostPosted: 23:19 - 01 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

im keeping all my bikes, i will probably be using my 50cc till im like 18, im not bothering with a car or a decent 125, ill get a shappy 125, get that over with , then get FUN bike (so much choice in the 600cc Smile ), and keep my gbr for commuting/work because of cheapness to run

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:27 - 01 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of people say that and it doesn't happen. And 50cc doing 70mph, you're having a laugh, the only way to do that is throw it off a cliff or spend stupid money on it.

9bhp, my 40cc makes 8.5bhp. Razz

You'll get much better value from your money if you get a cheaper second hand 50cc use it and then when you're 17 get a 125, do your test, and then get a bigger bike. Or you can just spend the money on a over priced 50cc and then spend lots of fixing it up when it is dropped/ crashed.

The Tot
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:45 - 01 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste and Lee do have a point there... I'm 17 and i always thought of getting a tuono 50 and derestricting that, but a 50's a 50 and unless you're superlight or happen to be on the bike when it's being towed by the AA cos the piston siezed, then it's never going to top 60 MAX!!! My NRG was left standard and i might suspect they never calibrated the speedo, but it never used to read above 55 mph and that's downhill. Get a cheap honda workhorse or something like an XR125 for the same price or even cheaper than a GPR and you'll have something that will easily cruise at 55 mph without worry of the mechanical parts going down the pan. I don't want to sound discouraging or disappointing, but i just wouldn't like to see someone making the wrong choice in bikes and regretting it... Race reps are not all the buzz the make out to be... I have more fun on my XR than i do on my mates derestricted NSR (got full license but nevertheless let me have a go around some private roads).

If the GPR was a 125 and done in Red and pea green... i'll be thinking ... hmmm i'm Jorge Lorenzo and i will slaughter anybody on an RS, but sadly, it's a 50 and an expensive one at that... save your money and get a trail 50 or a scoot, sell at 17 and get an XR ... (oops... meant RS or Mito or do test and get a 400 grey import!)

Last edited by The Tot on 18:54 - 02 Sep 2004; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 17:41 - 02 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I echo what others say, seriously why do you want such an expensive 50cc?

They depreciate faster than gone off milk and considering they don't go 70MPH I think you are wasting your money, just my opinion though.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NickD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:46 - 02 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is stunning, but I'm with everyone else on this one. It's a bloody expensive stop-gap.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Jammy-G This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

simon1221
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:57 - 02 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you dont mind me asking, where did you find the claim that it has 9bhp and 70mph top speed?

The Tot
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:59 - 02 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 9bhp thing is found on their website factsheet and also in "what bike" magazine... don't believe the 70mph... it's got to be ridiculously tuned or speedo's far off being calibrated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

palmer
Fiddled Kiddy

PostPosted: 20:41 - 02 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]I echo what others say, seriously why do you want such an expensive 50cc?

because i can afford such things Wink

palmer
Fiddled Kiddy

PostPosted: 20:44 - 02 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh and btw, ive ridden one, 68mph on the clock, overtaking my dads car at 40 pretty quickly

BUT is had micron exhaust + other bits and bobs, but i can get them dirt cheap, not a problem

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 20:56 - 02 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmerz wrote:

because i can afford such things Wink

Mate, it's not about being the cheap one here, it's the common sense that prevails, honestly why waste such money on a 50cc, save up to get a much bigger bike later. Confused
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.

palmer
Fiddled Kiddy

PostPosted: 19:33 - 04 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

money isnt a problem

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:35 - 04 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, it's your money at the end of the day so if you want one get one. People are just trying to stop others making the same mistakes that they made and learnt the hard way. Rolling Eyes

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 19:37 - 04 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well actually Ste, I never made the mistake I just know common sense when it smacks me on the nose! Razz

Ade067
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:50 - 04 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who is this Common Sense bloke? I hope you hit him back mate Laughing

NSR125-Kid-UK
Attention Whore

PostPosted: 20:38 - 04 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd prefer the RS50.
RS50's got "Racing" written on the side, not "replica" Laughing

"I'm either going to teach andy to get his knee down, or I'm going to get him killed. One of the two" - Teaman

badlydamaged
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:05 - 04 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPR50s..... Pah! If you want the "Ultimate 50cc" then you can't beat a good old Fizzy Very Happy Very Happy Thumbs Up

Check out that exhaust! Shocked

Im with the others, to be honest you've got an AR50 already, which in the scheme of things isn't a bad bike for its class, so why bother spending loads (and loosing loads when you come to sell) now on a GPR when as soon as your 17 you can get a mad Sports 125 for the same money, or even do your test and buy a big engined machine Thumbs Up .

If you've made your mind up already though, my view on the GPR is that its not a bad bike, it looks stunning in that silver and 9hp sounds pretty impresive for a 50cc road bike (although at the wheel its probably a fair bit less). If you buy one I'm sure you will be the envy of all your mates, have a cracking time on it and have a smart bike to play on, but why not wait until at least when your 17 to get a sports 125 and derestrict that, at least then you will have more acceleration and be able to out do most cars on the road, where as a derestricted GPR will struggle to keep up with a £300 CG being ridden enthusiasticly.

palmer
Fiddled Kiddy

PostPosted: 09:15 - 05 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

thnx badlydamaged, thats the things i wanted to hear, i did have one of those yamaha fz1 , but iblew the engine trying to do wheelies Sad

ts50x0
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 00:08 - 06 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is one insane exhaust.
i love it Very Happy

ts50x0
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 00:09 - 06 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it me or is it being held on by string Laughing

ts50x0
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 00:11 - 06 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it me or is it being held on by string Laughing

mrchips
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:51 - 06 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

A boy round the corner from me has a GPR50. He claims it does 75.

"I'll clock you then". No problem he said, it does 75mph. I followed him and he was doing 50-55, then down a hill just touching 60 (there was admittedly a bit of wind too). I asked him after what the clock said (75) even though I hadn't got him at any more than 60.

After 3 months you will be sick of your 50 so if you must get a derbi you'd be better going second hand or getting the Senda (just as quick with less to damage and looks good)

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!

PostPosted: 00:39 - 07 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

wait till you're 17.

I agree, a cheap-ass cg125 for around £300 will wheely off the mark if you ride it hard. and will kill most if not all 50cc peds.

The bike is mighty fine, but you're going to lose a hell of a lot of money. I never had a ped, and I certainly don't regret it, I like being in the market for a slightly less silly bike.

Gaz
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 238 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3