Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

what rubber should i use??

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Fire_Eyes
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:35 - 09 Oct 2004    Post subject: what rubber should i use?? Reply with quote

everyone talks about buying a new bike and choosing one.i bought my first bike today and its a used zzr400 however the tires need to be changed the bike currently has dunlop tires 160\60 on the rear n 120\60 on the front i really dont know what type of dunlop tires but does anyone know what should i buy for this bike..money isn't a problem i know that the michelin pilot power are good so are the new bridgestone and perelli diablo but whats the best?i live in the middle east and its gets real hot here right now at noon the temperature is almost 40C in the summer it can get to 50c but in overall its usually 25-30C so can u please help me out choose the right rubber
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

iCraig
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:25 - 09 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you have a number of tyres you can choose, with them basically being ZZR600 rims.

I highly recommend Bridgestone tyres and the BT-010 and the new BT-014, both are very sticky tyres that will last between 3-5000 Miles or you could go for a BT-020 which is more of sports mileage tyres and can last about 6-8000.

It all depends what you want out of a tyre, whether you want mileage or bags of grip.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fire_Eyes
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 23:31 - 09 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks alot for the info..i think ill go with the bt-010 i heard alot about them but should i put the same size as the ones i have 170read n 120front?

iCraig
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:36 - 09 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your better off staying with the 160 section rear, as 170 may be a little too wide, and it'd also slow the steering down abit too if you wanted that.

I would personally just go for standard size tyres as a 160 is pretty wide anyway an suffiecient for the low BHP the ZZ-R400 puts out anyway.

Fire_Eyes
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 23:39 - 09 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks alot craig Thumbs Up maybe one day when i get my gixxer well have a race Wink

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 00:05 - 10 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

If money isn't an object and you don't expect to be doing massive miles I'd go for the Bridgestone 090. Unless you're really pushing it (we're talk track pace), it's unlikely the heat will be an issue.
They should be grippier than the 010 etc because they are designed for lower powered bikes.

Fire_Eyes
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 00:13 - 10 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol ofcourse i wont be doing track days ..if these are made for low power bikes than this is what ill go for, i just hope i could find them.how much do they cost anyway?

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 00:42 - 10 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

They will be about the same as the harder tyres; about £200 for a pair in the UK, but will wear quicker, so you will have to replace them sooner.

AcIdBuRnZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:41 - 17 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

For yourself - probably Durex Extra Safe (don't want any accidents now do we?)

For your bike - Bridgestone BT-45's or Battlax BT-020, seem to be fine for me, confidence in the wet Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rory
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:32 - 20 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a pair of BT090s for my CBR for 140 quid, before postage and subsequent fitting. That was from Graeme France - see https://www.graemefrance.com/ (not much there yet, as the site's being built, but it's got his number - give him a phone, he's a great guy who really knows his stuff). He's got other tyres too, BTW.

The 090s are magic tyres, and unless you're doing serious miles, they should be just fine Thumbs Up

Villers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:16 - 24 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

But, like the guy says he's out in the middle east at 40 degrees. A super soft super sticky tyre will surely disappear from underneath him in no time. For anyone who has a tyre like the bridgestone BT014, next time you go for a hard ride and stop at the petrol station check the centre line of your tyre and see how soft its gone! Thats in our pitiful summer.

I just replaced a set of michelin pilots and I found them a little hard (which may be an advantage in this case) but I always found dunlops to last pretty well.

Flip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:07 - 24 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Battlax BT-020 are crap. The front loves to slide in the wet. Got them on my 400 and don't like 'em one bit.

Villers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:41 - 24 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats why I got rid of the michelins with a good deal of wear left in them. They came with the bike when I bought it private and had absolutely zero confidence in them wet or dry. They have still got good reviews all over the place though. Guess a lot of it is down to how much you trust them. My mate has BT020's on his zx6r and when i took it for a thrash I thought they were spot on. I love my BT014's though, got 100% confidence in them! Mr. Green

Fire_Eyes
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 22:09 - 24 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I told the mechanic to install a BT-010 or a BT-045 Confused but he installed a BT-014 Exclamation I know that they're good tyres it's just that Confused why didn't he listen? i didn't want to argue with him cause the bike was in the workshop for 2weeks so im just happy I got it back.I think they'll wear out pretty fast but who cares at least I got the bike Mr. Green

iCraig
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:00 - 24 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

BT-014's have replaced BT-010's in Bridgestones range, he probably didn't have any 010's in stock in that size and used 014's instead as they are virtually the same but better. Smile

Fire_Eyes
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 23:42 - 24 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Another ZZR rider and he made me happy Thumbs Up

california_rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:23 - 25 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

/me braces for the torrent of negative ratings.

I hear Trojan makes a high quality rubber. Thumbs Up Laughing

Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 13:33 - 25 Oct 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

flip wrote:
Battlax BT-020 are crap. The front loves to slide in the wet. Got them on my 400 and don't like 'em one bit.

A lot of people run an 010 front and an 020 rear as a compromise, since it's the rear that gets chewed up more quickly.

They probably would be crap on a 400 though, cos it's not got the power to get sufficient heat into them.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 230 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1