Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Camping mid-Spain

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

lynnnsr
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 09:23 - 05 Apr 2017    Post subject: Camping mid-Spain Reply with quote

I'm planning to ride alone through France and Spain as far as Gibraltar in May with camping gear. Seems no shortage of campsites in France, but by my reckoning I will be ready to stop for the night by the time I've got to somewhere between Merida and Seville on the A66.

Has anyone any recommendations for campsites in this neck of the woods?

Cheers.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:03 - 05 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: Camping mid-Spain Reply with quote

lynnnsr wrote:
I'm planning to ride alone through France and Spain as far as Gibraltar in May with camping gear.
Has anyone any recommendations for campsites in this neck of the woods?

Cheers.

99.99999% of my touring is on my own, so I am interested in how you get on.
Come back after the trip and tell us how you got on.
Pictures and a write up Thumbs Up

lynnnsr
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 12:42 - 06 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure I'll have time to do a bit of a write up each day - even if I can't post it til I get back.

Have you toured alone abroad? First time I've done this. Any tips or things to watch out for?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:04 - 06 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wild camping is much better than using camp sites.

lynnnsr wrote:
Any tips or things to watch out for?

Ah, camping in mid Spain, how could I forget.

https://i.imgur.com/NHgDCtE.jpg

Some genius decided it would be a good idea to let bulls wander freely around parts of the countryside. Laughing

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:57 - 06 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

lynnnsr wrote:

Have you toured alone abroad Any tips or things to watch out for?

No I've never toured abroad, only in the British Isles.
In remote areas, fuel up at every petrol station because you don't know when you will come across the next fuel stop.
Take toilet paper, there never is any when you need it Shocked .

You should always have a reserve money stash, you may not need it, but it's there in an emergency.

Ericck
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:03 - 06 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

lynnnsr wrote:

Have you toured alone abroad? First time I've done this. Any tips or things to watch out for?

I have toured alone abroad a few times.
Rode down through France to Spain in 2012.
I found camping in Spain much more expensive than France although I was mainly on the east coast and it was August.

I don't plan too much in advance. Choose your route when you get up in the morning. Go where looks interesting and stick to the back roads to see the real country.

Try to speak the lingo even if you're awful at it.
People are much more helpful if you try.

Camping wild is ok but you don't meet anyone. Campsites are friendly, there are other lone travellers and bars to get drunk in.

Enjoy Smile
Previous Bikes: Yamaha FS1E, Mobylette Moped Thingy, Suzuki GS125, Kawasaki Zephyr 550, Kawasaki Zephyr 750, Kawasaki ER500, Suzuki Bandit 600, Honda CBR600F, Triumph Street Triple 675, Suzuki V Strom 650.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:09 - 06 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

See my sig of my trip.

In short. There are campsites everywhere in Spain of varying quality.

I found the earth to be rock solid in the middle bit of Spain or to be dry and would get pulled out by the tent bending. So bring some chisels and a hammer to use as tent pegs.

Or bring a free standing tent.

Also importantly bring a modular sleeping bag. It can be roasting hot and it can be extremely cold during clear night skies.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

lynnnsr
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 18:15 - 27 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read itchy's Spain trip write up today - the bar is set high, but I will do my best to provide a full account of my trip.
It was a useful read as some of the areas mentioned in western Spain i will be passing through

lynnnsr
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:48 - 05 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have given up on the idea of camping in Spain - every campsite I looked at was absolutely dire, where most 'campers' seemed to be living semi-permanently in knocked up shacks.

Then I considered roadside 'Hostals' which looked like ancient transport cafes with rooms above I presume, I just wasn't happy with the locations or the probability of the bike still being there in the morning.

I'll be following the A66 down to Seville, so at some points it is very close to Portugal. Portugal, it seems, understands camping and I'm going to book in at what seems a nice campsite a few miles into Portugal, adding around an hour or so total to what already is a very long journey anyway.

Can't wait to set off - leaving in a couple of weeks from now!

Lupo
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 00:57 - 06 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit surprised that you cannot find decent a decent Camping in Spain because there are lots of really good Campings. If you drop the name of a few places you are looking to stay, I can check for some sites for you. You can also have a look in this website, very useful:

https://www.eurocampings.co.uk/spain/

Also avoid road Hostals, they are terrible and a relic of when trucks did not have cots on the cabins.

If you are looking for cheaper alternatives, look for "Pension", some you share dorm, and quality differs a lot, but you can find them in most parts of the city. Out of city hotels can be found very cheap too.

lynnnsr
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:26 - 06 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that - I will check out the camping site.

Ideally looking at stopping for the night somewhere along the route of the A66 between Merida and the Extremadura/Andalusia border.

Ammoman
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 22:07 - 06 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this site.

www.searchforsites.co.uk

Enjoy

Very Happy

Lupo
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 03:44 - 07 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

lynnnsr wrote:
Thanks for that - I will check out the camping site.

Ideally looking at stopping for the night somewhere along the route of the A66 between Merida and the Extremadura/Andalusia border.

This seems like an ok site to spent the night as it is in the A66 Complejo Leo 24H

Was playing with Expedia and the price was around the 35 pounds mark.

Camping is poor in that area as it is pretty much nothing to do there, otherwise Merida has some great Roman ruins worth visiting in my opinion, and have a better offer of places to stay for not that much money compared to a campsite: https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotels-g227871-Merida_Province_of_Badajoz_Extremadura-Hotels.html
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 346 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1