Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

BMW Rookie to Rider Scheme

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

tootallpaul67
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:42 - 05 Apr 2017    Post subject: BMW Rookie to Rider Scheme Reply with quote

Morning all,

Anyone done the BMW Rookie to Rider scheme?

https://www.bmwmotorradfinancialservices.co.uk/new-rider-offer

Struggling to see the drawback...

Paul

Last edited by tootallpaul67 on 11:57 - 05 Apr 2017; edited 1 time in total

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:45 - 05 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

£500 down to get BMW branded kit, and being forced to ride a G310 for 2 years at £100 per month?

I can't really see an upside!

tootallpaul67
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:58 - 05 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

And pass your test.

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:11 - 05 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

But you have to ride a G310!

Which is then "Excess mileage, vehicle condition and other charges may be payable"

Which, if you're a brand new rider, is probably going to cost you after your 2 year hire is up.

Better to just do it the old fashioned way and get a cheap bike to learn on for the first couple of years, which will then be yours to sell when you decide to move on. IMO.

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:11 - 05 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkeypony wrote:
But you have to ride a G310!

Which is then subject to "Excess mileage, vehicle condition and other charges may be payable"

Which, if you're a brand new rider, is probably going to cost you after your 2 year hire is up.

Better to just do it the old fashioned way and get a cheap bike to learn on for the first couple of years, which will then be yours to sell when you decide to move on. IMO.

tootallpaul67
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:14 - 05 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is so bad about a G310?

The reviews seem to universally praise it.

Understand the limitation of the PCP/Hire scheme.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:20 - 05 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP why are you asking for approval on the internet if you've already, and it reads like you have, decided it's the route you want to take?

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:22 - 05 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much mention as to what happens is you should happen to fail one of the tests at the end of the week either.

I should think at that point, you're back to paying full price for lessons and tests, and you've still signed a super fun 2 year hire agreement for a dull bike. Which you will probably drop, scratch or otherwise fuck up, which will be expensive to put right.

BMW are offering this to make money, not to do you a favour.

As to what is bad about the G310. I can't really think of anything I'd less like to ride than a 300cc single cylinder naked machine, but that's just personal preference Very Happy

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:27 - 05 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition, it's worth remembering that money is really cheap at the moment.

You could borrow the £2400 from the bank over the 2 years you'll be hiring the bike.

The repayments will be roughly the same. You get £2400 to spend on a bike that will be yours to sell at the end of 2 years when you're bored of it.

Makes more sense to me.

tootallpaul67
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:40 - 05 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK.

Cheers,

Paul

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:49 - 05 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

tootallpaul67 wrote:
What is so bad about a G310?

The reviews seem to universally praise it.

You'd be hard pressed to find a bad review of any modern bike.

Why would you go with the G310R though? You'll be doing the 'A' training and tests on an 800cc+ bike. Are you really going to want to go back down to a 300?

The 310 is just the headline £99 a month rental bike that they're obviously keen to shift. You can pay more to rent a bigger bike. And it is rental. On the G310R you're paying over 55% of the bike's purchase cost for 2 years of riding it, with nothing to show at the end of it, except perhaps a bill for excess mileage and damage.

£500 for a BMW twa​tsuit, an intensive training course and one bite each at module 1 and module 2 is actually pretty good, to be fair (although ask about what happens if you fail either test). It's tying you into renting a BMW afterwards that's the downside.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 13:07 - 05 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds pretty reasonable to me.

7 day DAS + full kit, plus a brand new bike for 2 years for £500 +£99 PM. It's a very attractive proposition.

I imagine BWM aren't making loads out of this. I think it is to drum up more future business. Lets face it at the end of the 2 years you are likely to sign up again for another bike.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:23 - 05 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:

I imagine BWM aren't making loads out of this. I think it is to drum up more future business. Lets face it at the end of the 2 years you are likely to sign up again for another bike.

Exactly - create a bit of brand loyalty.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Doovy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:30 - 07 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
chris-red wrote:

They've got a lot of work to do then, BWM aren't hugely well known currently.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:35 - 07 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doovy wrote:
arry wrote:

They've got a lot of work to do then, BWM aren't hugely well known currently.

They have the large cc adventure bike market sown up though and that is despite there being (IMO) way better bikes in that category than the BMW.

That's either brand loyalty or trapped into a PCP deal for an awful lot of people with large disposable incomes.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:42 - 07 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

You'd be hard pressed to find a bad review of any modern bike.

Even shit like that stupid ducati "desert" "sled" is getting praise.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:39 - 07 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the theory test done and give me £700 and I'll get you a full licence from never been on a bike before to full licence in 4 days training (Plus 2 test days)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:49 - 07 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinkyfloyd wrote:
Get the theory test done and give me £700 and I'll get you a full licence from never been on a bike before to full licence in 4 days training (Plus 2 test days)

No Charlie McEwan suit though.

Not that any of you ingrates ever read Biking News, but BMW were the #2 marque in March. Yes, comfortably ahead of Yamaha. In terms of revenue, they're probably well ahead of Honda too.

There is no Dana, only Zuul Motorrad.

Derivative
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:43 - 07 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would generally think that a new bike as first bike is a bad idea unless you are loaded.

Even if you don't drop it, you'll probably treat it with too much care to have fun.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:56 - 08 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
I imagine BWM aren't making loads out of this.

They certainly won't lose out of it, and repair work / parts could make them a pretty penny. Also the potential for high mileage charges etc.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:58 - 08 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't really read the add when I saw it was a hire deal, so it may have mentioned this.
Do they help with Insurance?

155mph
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 19:14 - 09 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked into this in depth last summer when I decided to take up riding. It is a very attractive offer. I almost put pen to paper but could not bring myself to sign up to their ridiculous APR which in turn finances all the freebies (GS dry suit included). Also when I checked out the price of nearly new BMW approved bikes, I was shocked by how much could be saved - you should check it out before you commit; I suspect many a rookie-to-rider bikes have been handed back.

I ended up buying my own gear, signing up to local school and buying a Yamaha. I reckon it cost the same either way but I had way more fun having to figure stuff out for myself.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 19:46 - 09 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpineandy wrote:
chris-red wrote:
I imagine BWM aren't making loads out of this.

They certainly won't lose out of it, and repair work / parts could make them a pretty penny. Also the potential for high mileage charges etc.

£47.80 per 1000 miles, those devious bastards Laughing

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:14 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never trust them, never trust them. They can't be trusted. ~ Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:28 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: BMW Rookie to Rider Scheme Reply with quote

tootallpaul67 wrote:

Struggling to see the drawback...

Paul

Quote:
Finance example is for a BMW Personal Contract Hire agreement for a BMW F 800 R, with a contract mileage of 10,000 miles and excess mileage charge of 4.78p per mile. Applies for new motorcycles ordered between 4 January and 31 March 2017 and registered by 30 June 2017 (subject to availability)

Ah well too late at that price....

Quote:
To prepare for your new motorcycle, after booking and completing your Theory Test, you will be put through a seven-day Direct Access Course including your CBT, Module One and Module Two Tests with BMW Rider Training (worth £1,295) with a choice of two locations

I,m sure that you could find cheaper.

Quote:

What if motorcycling isn’t for me?
Once your training has commenced and you decide the training isn’t for you, your £500 contribution paid to the retailer is non-refundable as this contributes to the cost of your Rider training.

I would do a CBT 1st and think of it as a £400 saving.... As there is no mention of still getting the kit if you walk away.

Quote:
†£500 customer contribution required. This is an upfront cost which is not part of the finance agreement. Rider Training is in Royston, Hertfordshire or Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, and does not include motorcycle theory test - £23.

Well unless you live close enough to get to for the 7 days... I can see a massive one.
It's going to cost a fair bit to stay somewhere for 7 days to cover the course.

Biggest drawback...
WTF are the T/C in relation to this.....

Or do you only get to see them at the dealers when you have pen in hand and being pushed not to read a massive amount of small print Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 17 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2