Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Painting a house, wood and stone work.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

natefz6
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:13 - 05 Apr 2017    Post subject: Painting a house, wood and stone work. Reply with quote

Another one of those why the fuck ask here and not on a DIY forum questions Smile but hey you guys are friendly and pretty knowledgeable.

I am looking to tart up the kerb appeal of my house as the paint on the exterior wood and stonework sills is flaking off and in need of repainting.

I am half handy and currently I am not looking to do the fascias (I will most likely get someone in for them) so will be undertaking the work myself at some point soon.

The wood work should be straight forward enough, sand, prime paint. But the stone work has about 100 years of flaking paint on it in various states of disrepair. Am I best trying to scrape this off or is that likely to mess the stone underneath up ? The alternative I can think of is to get all the loose crap off then fill with exterior filler and prime, paint.

Any one got any advice or experience of this type of shenanigans?

Cheers

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:22 - 05 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 choices.
1. get the lot blasted.
2. scrape off loose paint (why fill) and apply an expensive exterior paint.

You'll always wish you'd done number 1 even if it is tres mucho $$.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

natefz6
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:35 - 05 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers

mmm £169 to hire a sandblaster, I might have to think of some other things I can use it for on the day to justify that.

The thoughts on filling is because the paint is about 7mm thick in places even if I sanded it down it would still look bumpy. I was thinking filling the holes and sanding back would give a better finish in the end.

Paint wise I was looking at the Sandtex stuff but I'm sure the wife will fall in love with some F&B stuff Smile

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:16 - 05 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time I painted exterior stone/concrete window sills, I scraped of any loose stuff then painted over the lot with common or garden oil based gloss paint, it was still there 10 years later when I sold the house.
You don't need to fork out on "weathershield" or similar, overpriced, paints, for painting exterior stone window sills!

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:30 - 05 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suppose the reason I mentioned expensive paint was through bitter experience.
Painting the huge wall in Stockport that leads to the bus station with cheapo paint.
We told the gaffer it wouldn't last.

Did it again a month later with decent paint after the customer complained.
Also painted my old house with the stuff the council used. It was 20 years ago and looks ok today.
Pretty sure it was Johnstone's paint but can't vouch whether they do good paint now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

natefz6
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:39 - 12 May 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

As we are having a bit of a party/bbq this weekend I went for the quick/cheaper option and didn't sandblast them.

They look OK and the house looks much better for a lick of paint.

I did however go for the weathershield paint and by god that stuff is like superglue when dried. I got some on my arm and since then I have had 7 showers and scrubbed at it and I still have some on my arm. hopefully it will be as sticky to the bits of the house i painted!

Big Jock
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 15:23 - 12 May 2017    Post subject: Re: Painting a house, wood and stone work. Reply with quote

natefz6 wrote:

the stone work has about 100 years of flaking paint on it

If your house is that old you will most likely have to use a breathable paint or lime render. Old houses weren't designed like modern ones where the water must be kept out at all cost. An old house should be able to breathe or you run the risk of major damp problems

natefz6
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:30 - 17 May 2017    Post subject: Re: Painting a house, wood and stone work. Reply with quote

Big Jock wrote:

If your house is that old you will most likely have to use a breathable paint or lime render. Old houses weren't designed like modern ones where the water must be kept out at all cost. An old house should be able to breathe or you run the risk of major damp problems

Yeah I have read up on lots of that as I thought we might have a damp problem when we first moved in. I think as it turns out the previous occupier just never opened a window, showered with the door open and dried all their clothes inside. It's been in a few years and apart from the occasional bit on the window frames we have had no damp problem to speak of.

The bits I painted was just the sills at the bottom of the window, they actually look like concrete. I will see how it holds up but its looking dandy for now.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 4 years, 125 days between these two posts...
henrywilson This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 192 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1