Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

dashcam recommendations please

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:00 - 06 Apr 2017    Post subject: dashcam recommendations please Reply with quote

Mornin'

after the mrs and her friend were pulled out on a week ago in the friend's car I'm thinking I've put off getting a cam for long enough.

Wanting something that will take an SD / Micro SD card, will overwrite automatically so doesn't run out on longer journeys
looking to wire it in to get rid of a dangling wire
wanting something that fits to the rear view mirror / tucks away behind the mirror as I can't stand things stuck to the windscreen.
Needs to be able to catch a reg number in dark / horrid Lancashire weather

anyone got / had anything that might fit the bill?

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 12:29 - 06 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about recommendations but do us a favour, don't turn in to one of them bellends who uploads all their footage to dashcam pages on Facebook being a super grass Thumbs Up Sincerely, everyone.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:37 - 06 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jayy wrote:
I don't know about recommendations but do us a favour, don't turn in to one of them bellends who uploads all their footage to dashcam pages on Facebook being a super grass Thumbs Up Sincerely, everyone.

Dont speak for everyone... Smile

I enjoy watching those clips! Laughing

supZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:51 - 06 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:

same Smile

love watching dashcam compilations.

yes, sometimes the camera car driver is a bellend/making mountains out of molehills but that's not always the case.

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:03 - 06 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently bought and installed a Roadhawk Vision (in fact I bought 2 - one is installed and functioning, the other awaits installation in my imminent new car).

I was after something low-profile/unobtrusive to record quality footage... and that's it. I didn't want GPS tracking or any other paraphernalia, just a record of what actually happened to corroborate any future "he said she said" disputes.

Roadhawk have a good reputation from supplying largely to commercial vehicles (trucks, taxis etc) and the Vision is their first consumer-targeted device. It isn't the cheapest out there but it's a well-made thing and hides nicely behind the rear view mirror of my Skoda Yeti (I can't actually see it from the driver's seat and it is very discreet from the outside).

It comes with a cigarette lighter charging lead (micro-USB) but I have hard-wired it to an ignition live fuse and hidden the cables in the headlining and interior trim. It takes micro-SD cards, overwrites etc and has built-in wi-fi so that you can connect to it with a phone (using their app) and get a live view (helpful for installation) as well as alter settings and profiles. You can also download footage by wi-fi connection, although this is far slower than taking the card out and putting in a reader.

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 13:11 - 06 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
Jayy wrote:

I like watching them too sometimes... I should have been more specific, "Don't be one of them dash cam bellends who uploads minor traffic issues to facebook groups, like someone didn't indicate or someone didn't give way to you".

Also... just don't be a grass in general... in life.

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:15 - 06 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

weasley wrote:
I recently bought and installed a Roadhawk Vision (in fact I bought 2 - one is installed and functioning, the other awaits installation in my imminent new car).

I was after something low-profile/unobtrusive to record quality footage... and that's it. I didn't want GPS tracking or any other paraphernalia, just a record of what actually happened to corroborate any future "he said she said" disputes.

Roadhawk have a good reputation from supplying largely to commercial vehicles (trucks, taxis etc) and the Vision is their first consumer-targeted device. It isn't the cheapest out there but it's a well-made thing and hides nicely behind the rear view mirror of my Skoda Yeti (I can't actually see it from the driver's seat and it is very discreet from the outside).

It comes with a cigarette lighter charging lead (micro-USB) but I have hard-wired it to an ignition live fuse and hidden the cables in the headlining and interior trim. It takes micro-SD cards, overwrites etc and has built-in wi-fi so that you can connect to it with a phone (using their app) and get a live view (helpful for installation) as well as alter settings and profiles. You can also download footage by wi-fi connection, although this is far slower than taking the card out and putting in a reader.

Thanks, that sounds like what I'm looking for

what's the quality like for catching number plates at night?

Is it possible to create an 'incident' manually so it stores the footage?

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:50 - 06 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: dashcam recommendations please Reply with quote

Wonko The Sane wrote:
Mornin'

after the mrs and her friend were pulled out on a week ago in the friend's car I'm thinking I've put off getting a cam for long enough.

Wanting something that will take an SD / Micro SD card, will overwrite automatically so doesn't run out on longer journeys
looking to wire it in to get rid of a dangling wire
wanting something that fits to the rear view mirror / tucks away behind the mirror as I can't stand things stuck to the windscreen.
Needs to be able to catch a reg number in dark / horrid Lancashire weather

anyone got / had anything that might fit the bill?

Get one wot he sez:

https://www.techmoan.com/what-is-the-best-dashcam/

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:27 - 06 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally went with a hard wired mobius, was tech moans choice at the time and I wanted a discreet as possible so no screen for me.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:55 - 06 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

t121anf wrote:
Personally went with a hard wired mobius, was tech moans choice at the time and I wanted a discreet as possible so no screen for me.

I'll probably do the same, not sure if it's worth going for the mobius 2. Using my Drift HD ATM, only real issue's it doesn't start recording when you turn the ignition on.

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:17 - 06 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonko The Sane wrote:

Thanks, that sounds like what I'm looking for

what's the quality like for catching number plates at night?

Is it possible to create an 'incident' manually so it stores the footage?

You can create an 'incident' manually to prevent overwrite of the current segment, plus it'll automatically do this if it detects a shock over a certain (adjustable) threshold.

I'll see if I can grab some footage off of it night and day.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 22 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1