Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Brake Pad Recommendations

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:06 - 06 Apr 2017    Post subject: Brake Pad Recommendations Reply with quote

Right ho, I'll need to replace the front pads on my FZ1-N soon, so I'm looking for some recommendations, brand, type etc.

My bike is in Cyprus, so I do get out on it a bit more than in the UK, it doesn't rain here for 9 months of the year and I won't be here for when it does, so wet weather performance isn't a factor at all.
Roads here are fast and smooth, I guess I need some that don't fade, (not even sure that high ambient temperature would actually affect them).
I don't ride hard and by that I mean I don't max it out between bends then stand on the brakes at the very last, possible, moment!

No Idea what I have in there at the moment, they've been in there since I bought it!

Any to look out for or to avoid?

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:35 - 06 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked the sintered brembo pads on the ST2 and organic on the rear.

Now using EBC sintered on the front of the ST2, EBC organic on the rear.
I've had no problems with either.

If you don't like the stronger initial bite of the sintered and mainly ride in the dry I'd say go for EBC organics all round.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:53 - 06 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely sintered pads. I used to run Brembo SA (red) pads on various motorcycles. Thumbs Up

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 16:57 - 06 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always tend to use EBC pads by choice, but I've heard CL braking are good, and also have been forced to use Goldfren on my Buell (as EBC is far too expensive) and I quite liked those too.

A lot of brake pad choice hinges on the exact material that was used to make the discs. Some bikes like OE pads, some respond well to EBC HH sintered...

Sorry, not very helpful.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:57 - 06 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies! Karma Thumbs Up

MarJay wrote:
I always tend to use EBC pads by choice, but I've heard CL braking are good, and also have been forced to use Goldfren on my Buell (as EBC is far too expensive) and I quite liked those too.

A lot of brake pad choice hinges on the exact material that was used to make the discs. Some bikes like OE pads, some respond well to EBC HH sintered...

I've always used EBC in the past, was just wondering if there were any better/different options.

I have a set of Goldfren for it, lurking in the shed somewhere, will have to check what exact type they are.
Interesting you mention about the OE pads and discs, my bike has aftermarket discs, they were on it when I bought it.

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:22 - 06 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok the shed has revealed that I have a set of Goldfren AD Series, sintered, ceramic carbon pads.

They are described as:-

Quote:
The AD sintered compound is optimal for street bikes, dual sport, touring, trial, cruisers. This compound makes for a perfect OE replacement due to its versatility. It is recommended for riders that do not ride really hard, but do want the good stopping power of a sintered brake pad when needed. The wearing rate of this sintered compound is 20% lower than other known sintered or semi-sintered brake pads in the same category.

The AD series is designed for very low abrasive interaction with the rotor and offers quieter braking due to the ceramic composite material.

Friction materials contain metal-ceramic and typical iron; finer additives are added to the base of the iron compound to achieve optimal friction properties.

Should do the job then?

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:47 - 06 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This compound makes for a perfect OE replacement due to its versatility

This sentence is a perfect marketing claim due to its versatility. Razz

It's exactly the same sentence all the brake pads manufacturers use to describe their affordable range products.

As you already have them, stick them in and try them. Worth noting, it will take some time before they're going to work properly so don't bin them after the first 5 miles.

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:53 - 06 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll give 'em a try, what could possibly go wrong? Mr. Green

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:07 - 06 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you'll be alright. Thumbs Up

Bozzy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 10:02 - 07 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a set of Gold fren to fit too. I'll keep everybody updated as to their effectiveness.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:38 - 07 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like brembos too.

Budget option, armstrong sintered.

skatefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:45 - 07 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always used goldfren cheap GG's on my road bikes, never had any problems atall.

I took a punt on some Goldfren S33 ceramics for my track bike after much froogling and I've had nothing but stellar braking performance, no fade, bedded in very quickly etc.

All things considered, don't think I'd bother with the more expensive brands. It seem's delamination is something that happens to all brands suggesting a manufacturing defect. Excluding cheap chinese knock offs that is... Wouldnt - touch - barge - pole Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bozzy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:22 - 07 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

skatefreak wrote:
Excluding cheap chinese knock offs that is... Wouldnt - touch - barge - pole Rolling Eyes

When I bought my brake pads I specifically avoided eBay as I didn't want to risk ending up with Chinese knock offs.

Snod Blatter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:27 - 07 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

skatefreak wrote:
Excluding cheap chinese knock offs that is... Wouldnt - touch - barge - pole Rolling Eyes

I actually have a pair of £6 Chinese pads in the CB250 and they're not at all bad! They were powerful when new, a bit wooden but still fine now they're half worn (~5500 miles) and they work in the wet. The steel backing plate is a bit thin and they're actually wearing quite quickly compared to other pads I've used but I'd have them again at this price.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:39 - 07 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

EBC HH for me too, not too sure what type I replaced the other day but they're a damn sight better now.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 09:09 - 08 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a lot of bait and switch crap on ebay. I won't buy brake pads off ebay either.

I've ordered brake pads numberous times only to have them switch brands on me. Often written somewhere in the small print in the auction that they reserve the right to "Supply pads of an equivalent type" and you land up paying brembo prices for EBC pads. I even took to contacting the sellers to ask if I order the brand they are selling, is that what I'll receive. Did that three times, none of them replied.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:22 - 08 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
There is a lot of bait and switch crap on ebay. I won't buy brake pads off ebay either.

I've ordered brake pads numberous times only to have them switch brands on me. Often written somewhere in the small print in the auction that they reserve the right to "Supply pads of an equivalent type" and you land up paying brembo prices for EBC pads. I even took to contacting the sellers to ask if I order the brand they are selling, is that what I'll receive. Did that three times, none of them replied.

I got a load of bike parts off of ebay recently, and I got what I ordered. Perhaps I was lucky but some of it came from M and P, some from Busters and the pads for the Buell was the only seller doing them at a reasonable price and turned out to be motorcycle recycle who are a fairly well respected breakers and parts supplier.

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:03 - 13 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my brake pad conundrum got sorted a couple of days ago.
Got the calipers off, only to find that the pads that were in there are barely worn at all.
It's annoying that you can't actually see the pads when everything's in place.
So, a final question. Do brake pads have a "Best Before" date?
The set of pads I have, in the shed, have a manufacturing date of Aug 2013, they're still in the original, undamaged, shrink wrapped packaging in a dry environment.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 19:17 - 13 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suntan Sid wrote:
Well, my brake pad conundrum got sorted a couple of days ago.
Got the calipers off, only to find that the pads that were in there are barely worn at all.
It's annoying that you can't actually see the pads when everything's in place.
So, a final question. Do brake pads have a "Best Before" date?
The set of pads I have, in the shed, have a manufacturing date of Aug 2013, they're still in the original, undamaged, shrink wrapped packaging in a dry environment.

Nope, there is nothing to degrade. If they were from 1973 I'd probably worry because the adhesive may have gone off, and pad technology will have improved, but a modern set of pads should keep a long time.

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:13 - 13 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll keep 'em for a not so rainy day then! Thumbs Up Mr. Green

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:17 - 13 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giving them some short blasts of strong braking at a decent speed will revive them...well it certainly improves the feel.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:18 - 13 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some Ferodo Supersport pads for the front six piston calipers on the Exup1000 waiting to be fitted and they are about ten years old.I doubt that they will have aged in storage.

The pads in the front calipers on the R1 (5JJ) still have quite a bit of meat on them,despite having 35,000 on the clock.By keeping the calipers clean and free from clag around the pistons,the pads do not interfere with the discs when the lever is released. I think this is the secret to long pad life Thumbs Up Wink

As for Gold Fren pads,I fiited a new set to the front of the FJ1200 just before I headed off around Europe last year and after 3,000 miles on the Continent and a further 1,500 miles riding round the UK,they are worn about half way.I shall replace them before I go riding around France in July Thumbs Up Smile

Always have a 'Plan B'

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:01 - 13 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brembo Reds or SBS HH have been fantastic on the TL.

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:02 - 13 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
Giving them some short blasts of strong braking at a decent speed will revive them...well it certainly improves the feel.

There wasn't a problem with braking, I'd assumed, wrongly, they were due to be changed, turns out they didn't, I'll have to try braking a bit harder I guess! Wink
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 14 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2