BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Brake Pad Recommendations

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:43 - 14 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you feel like the braking performance isn't up to par, you may clean the pads and rotors with just riding it more. OR you may speed things up (what I do with brand new pads on motorcycles) and apply the brake slightely while you're going straight and hold it. Some say a brand new set of pads takes upto 300 miles before they are useable, I shorten that time to single digit miles. You do not want too much pressure on the brake lever and you do not want to over do it, nor do it for unnecessarily long time.

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:08 - 14 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
If you feel like the braking performance isn't up to par......................

Didn't have a problem, I just thought they may have needed changing due to the length of time they've been in.
Turns out I was wrong!

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 14:48 - 16 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suntan Sid wrote:
Howling Terror wrote:
Giving them some short blasts of strong braking at a decent speed will revive them...well it certainly improves the feel.

There wasn't a problem with braking, I'd assumed, wrongly, they were due to be changed, turns out they didn't, I'll have to try braking a bit harder I guess! Wink

Take the calipers off, take the pads out and clean up the calipers with a brush and loads of brake cleaner. Try to see if you can push all pistons back into the body of the caliper. If any are seized it'll be pretty obvious. Re-assemble the lot with a smear of copper grease on the pad pins and the backs of the pads and see if your braking improves. I often find a quick clean and re-grease works wonders.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Petemate
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:44 - 16 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO a lot depends on the material that the discs are made from, and how expensive they are. I would prefer to replace pads more often, providing they gice excellent performance, than to use hard pads and replace expensive discs. My own bike has the front disc set-up from the CB125 Superdream and the disc for these is fairly expensive. I have a pair of Kyoto pads which I got from the bay. Quite inexpensive, and despite bad reviews on some other forums, I am very pleased with mine. They are not rapidly wearing the disc (thank f**k), they are lasting well, and the perfomance is very good wet or dry. Progressive, and probably are working OK considering the light weight of the bike (which is virtually a bored and stroked CM125 Custom). I guess, though, that with a larger heavier bike, the situation may be different, and when/if I progress to something bigger I may research and think again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bozzy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:37 - 16 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got round to fitting the Goldfren HH sintered pads to my triple tonight. Will post an update once they've bedded in.

Snod Blatter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 13:59 - 17 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Petemate wrote:
I have a pair of Kyoto pads which I got from the bay. Quite inexpensive, and despite bad reviews on some other forums, I am very pleased with mine. They are not rapidly wearing the disc (thank f**k), they are lasting well, and the perfomance is very good wet or dry. Progressive, and probably are working OK considering the light weight of the bike (which is virtually a bored and stroked CM125 Custom). I guess, though, that with a larger heavier bike, the situation may be different, and when/if I progress to something bigger I may research and think again.

I have Kyoto pads in the front of my TRX850, which has two 4 pot Brembo calipers up front and big(gish) discs. My experience with them is apparently very different from yours.

Pros:
Painted bright blue
Don't seem to be wearing down
Squishy so lots of feel, and not a lot of immediate bite (good for overbraked bikes, I suppose?)

Cons:
Not very bitey
Actual, real, wet weather lag. I mean I'm talking a good two seconds before the brakes start to work. Are you kidding me??
Can't really see that they're bright blue when in the calipers Sad

Overall I'd rate the £6 Chinese pads well ahead of Kyoto pads.

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:00 - 17 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suntan Sid wrote:
There wasn't a problem with braking, I'd assumed, wrongly, they were due to be changed, turns out they didn't, I'll have to try braking a bit harder I guess! Wink

MarJay wrote:
Take the calipers off, take the pads out and clean up the calipers with a brush and loads of brake cleaner. Try to see if you can push all pistons back into the body of the caliper. If any are seized it'll be pretty obvious. Re-assemble the lot with a smear of copper grease on the pad pins and the backs of the pads and see if your braking improves. I often find a quick clean and re-grease works wonders.

When I said I'll have to try braking a bit harder, I meant I should actually use the brakes a bit more!
I thought they might need changing because they've been on a while, I thought they might have worn down. You can't actually see the pads without taking the calipers off. I had both calipers off, pads were fine, nothing seized and no leaks, a quick clean and everything went back on.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 347 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2