Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

The old fossil still ain't dead

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Pictures Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

27cows
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:29 - 06 Apr 2017    Post subject: The old fossil still ain't dead Reply with quote

Less than 6000 miles to go till she reaches the half million mark and almost everything is comprehensively fucked now Laughing

https://8-t.imgbox.com/NjEUBHUb.jpg

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:04 - 06 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you do all the miles or just bought it with high mileage?

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:35 - 06 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Restoration project time!

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:56 - 06 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: The old fossil still ain't dead Reply with quote

27cows wrote:
Less than 6000 miles to go till she reaches the half million mark and almost everything is comprehensively fucked now [/URL]

Shocked that's..pretty impressive for such a small bike

Alex A
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:31 - 06 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

At an average of 30mph, that's c. 16500 hours, or 686 days, or 1.9 years, solid (24/7), spent riding that bike.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:19 - 06 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADSrox0r wrote:
Restoration project time!

No cheating! Razz

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:44 - 07 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: The old fossil still ain't dead Reply with quote

pompousporcupine wrote:
27cows wrote:
Less than 6000 miles to go till she reaches the half million mark and almost everything is comprehensively fucked now [/URL]

Shocked that's..pretty impressive for such a small bike

This^+1
Although I am not surprised by that. They (little Japanese two smokes) are tough little buggers and with a bit of care and mechanical empathy, they last well.
I had a couple of Suzuki A100's in the long distant past and they just kept going and going.

Monkeywrenche...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 10:42 - 07 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: The old fossil still ain't dead Reply with quote

27cows wrote:
Less than 6000 miles to go till she reaches the half million mark and almost everything is comprehensively fucked now Laughing

https://8-t.imgbox.com/NjEUBHUb.jpg

Triggers broom? or is it still on it's original engine etc.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:10 - 07 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: The old fossil still ain't dead Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
with a bit of care and mechanical empathy, they last well.

More pertinently, without it too.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

27cows
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:15 - 07 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
Did you do all the miles or just bought it with high mileage?

Bought the bike in 1990 with 18,196 miles on the clock.

I've tried to keep as many of the original parts as possible. Some have been refurbished (forks re-chromed twice, for example). Bike is about 75% original. The pipe and seat base rusted to nothing eventually and were beyond help. Have had a few pistons/barrels and cranks over the years. Still on the original gearbox though.

Koyo taper roller steering head bearings that went in at 22,000 miles are still going. Most impressive.

Doovy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:25 - 07 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh. RXS.

Sold mine a year and a bit ago now. Did enjoy it but barely practical for me, fun to work on and I'm glad I fixed it up and sold for double what it cost me Very Happy

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:23 - 07 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll regret that at some point, unless space is a massive issue and you had nowhere to keep it.

I'd love a full set of 80's- early 90's Jap 125's, but time is starting to run out now for picking up two stroke iconic water cooled 125's, and the prices are rocketing for whats left out there.

In 10years time, seeing a two stroke bike out on the road will be almost unheard of.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

27cows
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:15 - 07 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Increasingly I get people taking snaps of the old relic when she's parked up and coming up and reminiscing about learning in the 80s on small strokers. Those left in one piece are gradually being bought up by collectors, who will no doubt return them to as-new condition and just wheel them out at rallies.

To my knowledge, there isn't another RXS in regular use locally (Medway area). Though I have seen a guy on a B-reg H100A here and there recently. I do find it quite hilarious that a clapped out old commuter tiddler gets so much attention. But I guess a lot of people learned to ride on bikes like this in the good old days (when unleaded petrol was under 40p litre and you could go out on the lash with a fiver and come home with change in your pocket Laughing ).

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 19:32 - 09 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

27cows wrote:
Increasingly I get people taking snaps of the old relic when she's parked up and coming up and reminiscing about learning in the 80s on small strokers. Those left in one piece are gradually being bought up by collectors, who will no doubt return them to as-new condition and just wheel them out at rallies.

To my knowledge, there isn't another RXS in regular use locally (Medway area). Though I have seen a guy on a B-reg H100A here and there recently. I do find it quite hilarious that a clapped out old commuter tiddler gets so much attention. But I guess a lot of people learned to ride on bikes like this in the good old days (when unleaded petrol was under 40p litre and you could go out on the lash with a fiver and come home with change in your pocket Laughing ).

I'm doing mine up at the moment, there is a thread in S&T. Dunno what state yours is but I found a decent fix for the naff indicators involding led bulbs.

How is your Brake/stand pivot mine was worn to buggery at 40k miles.

27cows
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:44 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
27cows wrote:

I'm doing mine up at the moment, there is a thread in S&T. Dunno what state yours is but I found a decent fix for the naff indicators involding led bulbs.

How is your Brake/stand pivot mine was worn to buggery at 40k miles.

I found a solution to the indicators flashing too fast at high revs...but this involves them barely working at all at the same time as the brake light when I have the lights switched on. Will very likely go the LED route, if the old wreck continues to defy the odds.

The amount of play in my mainstand/brake pivot is ridiculous. I've done a bit of bodgery with washers and a slightly shorter spring which at least stops the stand sagging and moving as much when I used the back brake. But it still needs properly sorting - something that I suspect will never happen Laughing

chris-red

PostPosted: 17:40 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

27cows wrote:

I found a solution to the indicators flashing too fast at high revs...but this involves them barely working at all at the same time as the brake light when I have the lights switched on. Will very likely go the LED route, if the old wreck continues to defy the odds.

The amount of play in my mainstand/brake pivot is ridiculous. I've done a bit of bodgery with washers and a slightly shorter spring which at least stops the stand sagging and moving as much when I used the back brake. But it still needs properly sorting - something that I suspect will never happen Laughing

Led's and the flasher unit cost me Less than a fiver.

I used plumbing olives to take out some of the play Thumbs Up

27cows
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:44 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that bleep from the relay would twist my melon after a while Laughing Otherwise, looks to be an excellent way to make indicators actually flash. I can't help but wonder what possessed the Japanese to put such laughably crap 6v systems on so many of their small bikes. I think most people would have preferred to pay a few quid more and not have the various issues.

I don't think the brow olives bodge would help much on my old wreck - the amount of wear is absolutely ludicrous. I've only put off sorting it for so long because of the potential for disaster associated with my lack of welding skills coming into contact with the frame Laughing

wodge
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 12:16 - 14 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:

Is the repair still holding up?? Mine is due its MOT soon so we will see if it is noticed..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red

PostPosted: 18:24 - 14 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

wodge wrote:
chris-red wrote:

Is the repair still holding up?? Mine is due its MOT soon so we will see if it is noticed..

The bike hasn't been used since then. I have a couple of hours work to get it finished. Then my missus will do her CBT, and start using it.

Moxey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:29 - 19 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonder if my old one will still be going at that mileage, only had 20k on it 3 years ago when I sold it.

I keep umming and ahhing about selling the KH but everybody keeps telling me to keep it with the way 2 strokes (even the old commuters) are going though I admit the other than the odd blast to town I don't get much kick from using it like I did my RXS.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:39 - 19 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep the KH. In absolute terms they are just as nippy and fun as an RXS, though having a rotary valve will give it a different feel to the power delivery. They also were much more sprightly before 82 when they were restricted to 12bhp.

I've read it's mainly a bigger carb that the early bikes had with 15bhp. I think the restricted 125 has something like a 19-20mm carb to strangle it.

Everyone with any interest in two stroke bikes needs to get one asap for a long term keeper bike, and it doesn't really matter what it is, from a DT50 to a RGV250 etc. All strokers that are left will get silly in price over the next 10years, as demand massively outstrips the number left.

We are at the stage where you don't need to own the biggest and most excessive bikes like Mach1's or GT750's etc, to enjoy one and have alot of fun. Its the same as those that did want a Z1 or GS1000 air cooled superbike, are now looking at 650's and other middleweight bikes so that they can still get the style and feeling of these big old air cooled UJM's, but without the crazy price tax of the heavy hitters, and seminal machines.

Moxey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:27 - 20 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Keep the KH. In absolute terms they are just as nippy and fun as an RXS, though having a rotary valve will give it a different feel to the power delivery. They also were much more sprightly before 82 when they were restricted to 12bhp.

I've read it's mainly a bigger carb that the early bikes had with 15bhp. I think the restricted 125 has something like a 19-20mm carb to strangle it.

Everyone with any interest in two stroke bikes needs to get one asap for a long term keeper bike, and it doesn't really matter what it is, from a DT50 to a RGV250 etc. All strokers that are left will get silly in price over the next 10years, as demand massively outstrips the number left.

We are at the stage where you don't need to own the biggest and most excessive bikes like Mach1's or GT750's etc, to enjoy one and have alot of fun. Its the same as those that did want a Z1 or GS1000 air cooled superbike, are now looking at 650's and other middleweight bikes so that they can still get the style and feeling of these big old air cooled UJM's, but without the crazy price tax of the heavy hitters, and seminal machines.

Thumbs Up I admit I need convincing, even my missus has threatened to chain it up so I can't sell it after I parted with the RXS and moaned about it ever since Laughing

I considered acquiring a KE 175 engine to transplant into it (its already far from standard 92 trim as it is so no harm there) but that might be asking too much of the chassis.

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:23 - 20 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see a RXS still in daily use!

Bought mine for my 17th birthday back in 1990 and loved it/abused it but it kept on trucking for 2 years before I sold it. Can't remember the mileage, but it was a 1983 on a Y reg

27cows
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:01 - 21 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the RXS will ever reach the insane prices of things like the Fizzy and the various YPVS bikes. Though even old crap like 80s Tomos mopeds and things like the Puch Maxi, Yam Passola and Honda Melody seem go for relatively high money now. Can remember a time when you literally couldn't give them away.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:55 - 21 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's surely a good thing at the moment, as it means people that can only afford project bikes can still pick them up! Theres really nothing good for the bikes or the would be owners of stuff like RD500's, that can come out of them costing 8-10grand.

Also as the pinnacle strokers and the headbangers ones get out of reach of average normal mortals, it means everything left will climb accordingly as a that'll do or poor man's substitute. I think the RXS might well have a stronger following than the other 100's, simply because first and foremost it's the same make of bike as Kenny Roberts rode, and secondly it was known as the 100 that had performance equal to or better than nearly all of the 12brake restricted strokers like NS's,RDLC's etc.

An 11 ish bhp KH or H100 may well still be a light and fun bike, but were slightly also rans compared to the Yamaha.

Oh and Moxey, your missus sounds very sensible to me making sure you don't sell another two stroke and then regretting it or being grumpy. I've only really ever regretted what I didn't buy or what I sold, but never really regretted buying a bike in the first place.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 333 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Pictures All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2