Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Cruise control

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:49 - 09 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a bonus for everyone to tuck under their tinfoil hats: https://www.facebook.com/LeeCampComedian/videos/1366265880103462/?pnref=story

And here's a bit of Putin speaking coherently and concisely, without any of the umming and aahhhing our politicians do, when asked an on-the-spot question about the sarin gas attack: https://www.facebook.com/eurasiadaily.nz/videos/1591135637844089/

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:06 - 09 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
without any of the umming and aahhhing our politicians do

You speak Russian?

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:15 - 09 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Lord Percy wrote:
without any of the umming and aahhhing our politicians do

You speak Russian?

Do umm and ahh sound different in Russian?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:20 - 09 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know because I don't speak Russian. Razz

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:58 - 09 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:

And here's a bit of Putin speaking coherently and concisely, without any of the umming and aahhhing our politicians do, when asked an on-the-spot question about the sarin gas attack: https://www.facebook.com/eurasiadaily.nz/videos/1591135637844089/

Bollocks, I've been 'fake newsed'.

That clip is from 2016. Laughing

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:36 - 14 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets get things in proportion. The US dumped a bunch of most likely old cruise missiles nearing their expiration dates on a airfield full of crappy old migs after warning the Ruskies to get their dudes out of the way. It probably cost them less than a planned training exercise and as a plus replacing the missiles will keep some yanks handy with spanners in well oaid jobs.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:33 - 14 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sold on the idea that it's actually #NothingToDoWithSyria.

Syria got cruise-swarmed while Trump was having a nosh with Xi of China.

He then Mega-Bombed Afghanistan.

And placed a fleet off of North Korea.

Now he's saying Maybe China-China-China can't take care of North Korea.

You get the progression? He's pretty much called China a bunch of pussies and said that if they don't care care of NorKor, then he will.

And he's just demonstrated that he might not be bluffing.

I suspect that NorKor's next piece of sabre rattling will result in a smacked nose.

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:06 - 14 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh indeed. Is everyone loving all the juicy narrative spins?

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:26 - 14 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

You get the progression? He's pretty much called China a bunch of pussies and said that if they don't care care of NorKor, then he will.

I suspect that NorKor's next piece of sabre rattling will result in a smacked nose.

North Korea problems seem to come and go with the seasons. Seems like bollocks to me.

I think it's all manufactured so that Trump can look like a president who can handle himself in a (sterile) crisis.

I mean why the hell are they suddenly dropping a megabomb on the Tora Bora? Who the hell is suddenly hiding away in there, in Afghanistan, who the US military have a sudden interest in wiping out with one massive, missile-sized-dick-swinging explosion?

The more I think about it, the more obviously it's all just a load of flexing for the sake of flexing, and crisis for the sake of crisis.

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:46 - 14 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you been watching the asset and troop movements?

https://americanmilitarynews.com/2017/04/report-china-has-deployed-150000-troops-to-north-korean-border/

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-39600426

Basically nobody knows. What is known is instability causes mishaps.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 23:06 - 14 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
I mean why the hell are they suddenly dropping a megabomb on the Tora Bora?

Because China-China-China and NorKor.

Lord Percy wrote:
The more I think about it, the more obviously it's all just a load of flexing for the sake of flexing, and crisis for the sake of crisis.

And NorKor.

Trump is currently playing the part of Crazy Trump. He might do it. He might. So maybe you slitty-eyed fellows better work it out between yourselves, or it'll be MOAB's all round, capeesh?

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 08:32 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to rationalise what a US strike on N.Korea might entail.

Part of my is reasonably comfortable it would be over reasonably swiftly and ultimately China will side with the US, knowing an end to the Pyongyang regime will result in a more peaceful Asian outlook - which will benefit their economic aims.

But 10% of me tells me this will end up in Nuclear Winter...
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 09:54 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonB wrote:
I'm trying to rationalise what a US strike on N.Korea might entail.

"What would happen if the U.S. found itself facing off against the rest of the world? Not just its traditional rivals, but what if it had to fight off its allies like the United Kingdom, France, and South Korea as well?

First, the U.S. has the world’s largest Navy, by a lot. With ships displacing 3,415,893 tons, the mass of the U.S. Navy is larger than the next 8 largest navies combined. And the American ships, as a whole, are more technologically advanced than those of other countries. For instance, only America and France field nuclear-powered aircraft carriers. France has just one while America has 10 with an 11th on the way.

And that’s before the U.S. Coast Guard gets into the mix. While the Coast Guard isn’t an expeditionary force, it could use its C-130s and other sensor platforms to give the Navy more eyes across the battlespace. It’s counterterrorism operators could protect government leaders and secure American ports."

So attacking America across the water is a horrible idea. (Got that North Korea and China?)

Second, America’s air power is the strongest in the world. Currently, it has approximately 14,000 planes and helicopters spread across the five services. That’s more aircraft than the next 7 countries combined.

The world’s only operational fifth-generation fighter, the F-22, would conduct constant air patrols across the land borders of the U.S. to prevent any incursion by enemy bombers. The Army’s Patriot missile launchers would help stop enemy jets or missiles and Stinger/Avenger missile crews would shoot down any low-flying planes or helicopters.

So the rest of the world’s militaries have to fight their way across a land border with the U.S. while their air support is falling in flames around them.

Guess what happens next?
The Army and Marine Corps’ almost 9,000 tanks would team up with thousands of Stryker Anti-Tank Guided Missile vehicles, Apache and Cobra helicopters, and anti-tank missile teams carrying Javelins and TOW missiles to annihilate enemy armor.

The world’s most advanced tanks, like the Leopard or the Merkava, would be tough nuts to crack. Artillery, aircraft, and anti-tank infantry would have to work together to bring these down. But most tanks worldwide are older U.S. and Soviet tanks like the Patton or the T-72 that would fall quickly to missile teams or Abrams firing from behind cover.

The other combat troops trying to make their way through the shattered remains of their air support and the burning hulks that were once their tanks would find themselves facing the most technologically advanced troops in the world.

American soldiers are getting weapon sights that let them pick out enemies obscured by dust and smoke. Their armor and other protective gear are top notch and getting better.

Chances are, even infantry from France, Britain, or Russia would have trouble pushing through the lines in these conditions. But even if they did, the Marines and 101st Airborne Division would be able to swoop in on helicopters and Ospreys while the 82nd Airborne Division could drop thousands of reinforcements from planes to close any openings.

And all of this is before America becomes desperate enough to launch any nuclear weapons. If the enemy actually did make it through, they’d face nuclear strikes every time they massed outside of a city. And their forces still trying to reach the border would be easy pickings.

Minuteman III missiles are designed to strike targets far from American shores but they could annihilate an advancing army moving from Houston to Dallas just as easily. Navy Trident missiles could be fired from submarines in the Gulf of Mexico to destroy units waiting for their turn to attack at the border. Northern Mexico and southern Canada would become irradiated zones."

https://www.wearethemighty.com/articles/how-long-the-us-military-would-last-against-the-rest-of-the-world

Okay that's not answering your specific question but I think it gives a good idea of how things could play out and the extent of quite how fucked Best Korea would be.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:32 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's in a defensive war. Offensively they can bomb pretty much anyone back into the stone age, but holding the ground is very different to razing it.

Punji stakes, Charlie in the treeline, can't get fooled again.

If there's a plan hatching under that syrup, I imagine it's to rek NorKor's infrastructure, industry and agriculture from the air, then expect China-China-China to annex it on humanitarian grounds when the NorKorians are down to eating their portraits of Chubby Spice.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 10:56 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
I imagine it's to rek NorKor's infrastructure, industry and agriculture from the air, then expect China-China-China to annex it on humanitarian grounds when the NorKorians are down to eating their portraits of Chubby Spice.

"This is how the British planned to shut down air bases in World War III

The Tomahawk strike on Shayrat Air Base in western Syria was pretty potent – after all, 59 of the missiles hit the place. But the base still had aircraft taking off and landing within a day of the strike.

The Brits, though, had a weapon much better than the Tomahawk at shutting down air bases.

That system was called JP233, and while it doesn’t sound very fearsome, if World War III broke out, this was to be a key weapon in shutting down the Warsaw Pact’s air force.
The JP233 was quite a clever armament. According to the “Encyclopedia of Modern Air Weapons,” the system came in two pods. One would be hung in the rear of the aircraft carrying 30 SG357 runway-cratering munitions. Now, President Trump’s tweet that pointed out the ease of repairing runways is accurate. But this is where the second pod comes in.

The second pod, usually hung in front of the first one, carried 215 HB876 area-denial munitions. Or, in a more simple term: Land mines. These diabolical devices were designed to not only take out the trained runway-repair crews, they could also kill the vehicles that make runway repair a quick and simple task.

The Tornado would fly low and fast over the enemy airfield’s runways with the sub-munitions from two sets of pods slung underneath the fuselage scattering all over the place. If the enemy planes were in the air, they had no place to land. If they were on the ground, they were staying there until follow-up strikes could take care of them."

https://www.wearethemighty.com/articles/this-is-how-the-british-planned-to-shut-down-air-bases-in-world-war-iii

Something like that would leave them rekt. Wink

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:38 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

The Tomahawk strike on Shayrat Air Base in western Syria was pretty potent – after all, 59 of the missiles hit the place. But the base still had aircraft taking off and landing within a day of the strike.

No 34 of them were intercepted.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:15 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
Ste wrote:

It was purely symbolic so hit rate/accuracy discussion is moot.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:23 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:

Citation?

There's plenty of claims that some of them crashed into the sea or crashed onto the land rather than hitting their target but to say they were intercepted is saying that they were shot down by anti-ballistic missiles.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:41 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

I've completely lost track of the conspiracah, I would like to point out that 'merica doesn't need an agenda to drop a bomb on whomever* they please. Yemen, Pakistan, unless these fit in somewhere? It's probably not the best example given what happened, but the west were randomly bombing Iraq during the late 90s/early 2000s.

Oh and if you need an example of just how insane counter-claims can be, according to ISIS they lost no fighters when that giant bomb was dropped on their heads.

*did I get it right this time, do I get a sticker? =)

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:24 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trump doesn't want to get stuck into NorKor though. He wants China to send in some of their 20-million excess penises to do the job. At this point he's trying to troll them with a game of Let's You and Them Fite.

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:19 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Murcia war machine literally does what it wants in spite of the world, its only constraint is its own people for as much as they can do or are even aware. As to who can stand against it in a conventional manner, literally nobody.

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:02 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't most of this off the back of North Korea's latest missile test?
Last time they worked out that it could travel as far as Alaska, which caused many bums to twitch until they remembered that there's nothing there anyway, so they unclenched and forgot about it.

I'd imagine the new missile would at least be capable of reaching Seattle, possibly even San Francisco. Vancouver too but that belongs to the Canadians so it doesn't matter.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:09 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

dydey90 wrote:

I'd imagine the new missile would at least be capable of reaching Seattle, possibly even San Francisco. Vancouver too but that belongs to the Canadians so it doesn't matter.

To be honest I think the North Korea thing is all complete and utter bollocks.

All this about missile capability etc etc. Total shite, if it's even real then they're just building defence measures because of an aggressive leviathan American state marching all over the world bombing everything to smithereens.

Totally laughable to think that NK is actually doing anything to threaten the US. "Oh this missile could reach the US mainland." What nonsense. All it needs is a boat to sail a few hundred miles closer with their original missile stock and do the job that way. The 'extra-long-range missile capability' scare story is the same as the "WMDs" shite that was pushed on Iraq. Although, given how isolated NK is, it seems more like when kids discover a jellyfish on the beach and keep poking it with a stick. "Look how dangerous it is!" Actually no it's totally inert and has been for decades.

All propaganda.

Just because it's a hermit nation (and therefore can't be manipulated through political or economic means), that doesn't mean the people in charge are actually stupid enough to consider firing missiles in whatever direction. Just like Assad isn't dumb enough to use sarin gas on his people, or, I dunno, Putin isn't dumb enough to send gunboats to attack Faslane, it isn't a giant leap to realise no state leader, including those of North Korea, would be dumb enough to actually fire a long range missile at the US and risk the inevitable retaliation and downfall of their own currently stable society.

But let's all continue pretending that in this unchanging cycle of rising and falling 'tensions' between NK and America (the country with a heavy military presence in South Korea and the western Pacific, and a worldwide image as the neo-imperial bullies of the planet), North Korea are the ones guilty of aggression. Laughing

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:48 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
All propaganda.

Just because it's a hermit nation (and therefore can't be manipulated through political or economic means), that doesn't mean the people in charge are actually stupid enough to consider firing missiles in whatever direction. Just like Assad isn't dumb enough to use sarin gas on his people, or, I dunno, Putin isn't dumb enough to send gunboats to attack Faslane, it isn't a giant leap to realise no state leader, including those of North Korea, would be dumb enough to actually fire a long range missile at the US and risk the inevitable retaliation and downfall of their own currently stable society.

But let's all continue pretending that in this unchanging cycle of rising and falling 'tensions' between NK and America (the country with a heavy military presence in South Korea and the western Pacific, and a worldwide image as the neo-imperial bullies of the planet), North Korea are the ones guilty of aggression. Laughing

I think you're concocting a fictitious world that better allows you to deal with reality Wink

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:12 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

This dicks having a crack at it. It's a long ass video but i'll clip it to a position. Just give it ten mins for this bit about the US press.

https://youtu.be/FmxRddgpo-I?t=23m26s
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 6 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4