Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New Rider - Milton Keynes

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

MrCawdell
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:33 - 07 Apr 2017    Post subject: New Rider - Milton Keynes Reply with quote

Good afternoon everyone,

New to the forums today.

I've been pondering about getting a bike license for some years now but being only 24 I decided to leave it until now so I could get on with the Direct Access.

I've got very little experience on a bike, and by that I mean a few laps around a car park on a moped at 16!

Would anyone recommend a company in or around the area where I can take the DAS on weekends? Only weekends available due to no holiday at work.

Also, how long does it take to get a test booked in? Ive only experience with a car (been driving 7 years) and that took a few months.

Would anyone also advise on a rough cost of the DAS and what kind of bikes I should be looking at to start with?

It will be purely for pleasure, as I drive a company car day in day out I wanted to get a bike to use outside work just to change things up a bit as being stuck in a car all day certainly drives you crazy!

Look forward to hearing from you guys!

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:11 - 07 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: New Rider - Milton Keynes Reply with quote

MrCawdell wrote:
All advise taken gratefully!

https://blog.dictionary.com/advice-vs-advise/

How much is costs is how long it takes is how well you get on with it.

First step is to get a CBT booked. Be aware that it's not a 1 day course, it's as long as it takes to get to a minimal standard of competence. Cost in extra half days or days.

Tell that you're thinking of doing a course with them and see if you can blag a go on a 600+ training bike at the end of it - it'll be an eye opener after the 125.

Training schools block book tests, so it could be anything from a few weekends to months depending again on how you get on and who you go with.

Definitely give it a go, it's ace.

[Awaits recommendations]
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:15 - 07 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did DAS about five years ago in Enfield, total cost about £600.
What bike to go for? Since it's just for fun, try sitting on a few then pick whatever takes your fancy. However, get DAS out of the way before you get too hung up on what style of bike to go for.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Andy Rider
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:28 - 07 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I did my DAS last year with Rebel Dogg! based in Bletchley area, cost was about £700 (but that was with a "winter discount" -in quotation marks as they said they applied this but I have no idea what they'd have charged without the discount)

Went from not touching a motorbike for 24+ years (had a 50cc for a year when I was 16!) to full A licence in about 6 weeks. I passed all the test first time where as I no a few I met on the various days didn't so guess it could end up costing a unlimited amount if you had to sit many re-tests

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:55 - 07 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

My wife did her training with Horizon, https://horizonridertraining.co.uk/

She passed all first time and said they were very good, however this was many years ago.

A while after she did her test the owner was killed and it was taken over by someone else so it probably bears no resemblance to the company and people she was trained by.

All I can say is I haven't heard any bad things about it.

petalbriefs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 23:27 - 13 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did my CBT and Mod 1 and 2 with 1on1 rider training in Barton Le Clay. Passed everything first time and found them to be very pleasant and helpful.
Also did it at the weekends. Thumbs Up

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:05 - 14 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My neighbours son did it with the Colchester office of these guys
https://rebeldoggmct.com/

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:35 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: New Rider - Milton Keynes Reply with quote

MrCawdell wrote:
Good afternoon everyone,

New to the forums today.

I've been pondering about getting a bike license for some years now but being only 24 I decided to leave it until now so I could get on with the Direct Access.

I've got very little experience on a bike, and by that I mean a few laps around a car park on a moped at 16!

Would anyone recommend a company in or around the area where I can take the DAS on weekends? Only weekends available due to no holiday at work.

Also, how long does it take to get a test booked in? Ive only experience with a car (been driving 7 years) and that took a few months.

Would anyone also advise on a rough cost of the DAS and what kind of bikes I should be looking at to start with?

It will be purely for pleasure, as I drive a company car day in day out I wanted to get a bike to use outside work just to change things up a bit as being stuck in a car all day certainly drives you crazy!

Look forward to hearing from you guys!

Hello and welcome.

Find good school near you. Read reviews about the school. Ask them do they provide for example Mod 1 training on the same place where the actual test is? Some schools do that at the weekends. They book and use the actual DVSA mod 1 test area at the weekends when there are no tests. It helps a lot to train at the actual test area, not on some dodgy car park or a school yard.

They will book all the tests and prepare you. 1 training day depending on the school will be around £150-£200. You'll need at least 4 days. Which is optimistic. Or 7.

So the cost may be anything from £700 to £1900 for the luxury BMW training with unlimited number of training days Laughing

https://www.bmwridertraining.net/rider-training/a2-direct-access-2/

Time to book the 2 tests depends on how busy is your local DVSA test center.

Bear in mind the process is:

1. You need theoretical exam for motorcycles - you can book that yourself and pass it whenever you want. It costs £23: https://www.gov.uk/book-theory-test

The school will do for you as part of the DAS course:

2. one day CBT training for you - it is not a test, they give you certificate, you can ride 125 with L plates with it.
3. Train you and book for you Mod 1 off road test, there are special Mod 1 test areas where you do the test. https://www.gov.uk/motorcycle-test/module-1-offroad-test
4. Train you and book for you Mod 2 public road test.

You pass the mod 1 and 2 tests and you will get your A license.

Good luck Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MrCawdell
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 08:52 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your advice.

I've booked in for my CBT and my Theory Test already. CBT this weekend.

Touch wood, i'll love it and go right ahead and book my DAS.

I've taken the advice above and stopped looking for bikes and i'm going to see how the test bikes feel and try a few out once passed.

I think its advisable I start with a smaller bike like a 250 Ninja or CBR and learn to ride rather than diving in with a 600 and not being experienced enough to control it. Would you guys agree?

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:19 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!

MrCawdell wrote:

I think its advisable I start with a smaller bike like a 250 Ninja or CBR and learn to ride rather than diving in with a 600 and not being experienced enough to control it. Would you guys agree?

I don't agree. You'll have spent hours riding around on a 600+ bike and assessed as safe to ride it. There's no need to drop​ back onto something you'll potentially be bored of in a few weeks. See how you feel when you've done DAS. My first bike was a 900 that weighed 250kg, I didn't die.

Having said that, Mrs Bamt bought a 600 then dropped back onto a 250 some months later, but that was to do with weight and rider position, not power.

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 10:12 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you pass your full test on a 600 I'll bet good money you won't buy a bike less than 600. Especially being 24 and a weekend warrior. (Source - me)

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:29 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm favouring my Ninja 250 at the moment, but as a just-enough commuter rather than an open road fun bike.

It's revvy and short geared, so gives a good impression that there's lots going on, without actually racking up much speed. It's really only average-car-fast.

If you're wanting to overtake every grandmother on the road, I'd go 600+. They can go slowly as well. Wink

MrCawdell
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 10:32 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

AshWebster,

I did think exactly that but a lot of what i'm reading is that its easy to make a mistake with something like a 600 by throttling too hard etc. I'll have a better idea once i'm on one, I guess! Right now i'm just interested in passing and becoming a safe and enjoyable rider!

Bamt,

I agree i think i'll see how I feel when i'm on a bigger bike. Is Mrs Bamt on a bigger bike now??

Any recommendations on potential 600s to own? Since i've only really been looking at 250s until now. Budget around £2,000.

It's only to glance at so I know what's available when I pass Smile

MrCawdell
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 10:35 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
I'm favouring my Ninja 250 at the moment, but as a just-enough commuter rather than an open road fun bike.

It's revvy and short geared, so gives a good impression that there's lots going on, without actually racking up much speed. It's really only average-car-fast.

If you're wanting to overtake every grandmother on the road, I'd go 600+. They can go slowly as well. Wink

Thanks Roger. The Ninjas and CBR 250s grabbed my attention but beginning to think there may be better options!

My main use will be to visit my partner couple nights a week whos about 50 miles away. I drive a car 5/6 hours a day for a job so last thing I want in the evening is to jump back into a car to go another 50 miles. A bike that will keep me entertained, doesnt have to be silly fast, as I can only go 70 anyway Rolling Eyes , but that will cruise quite comfortabley on the motorway. Beginning to think 250s might not be best suited!

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:36 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing about 600 IL4s (oh allah, I'm Teffing) is that they get fun when they get fast. Have you considered something like an ER6f or SV650S? Still plenty of performance but twins won't encourage you to chase the 7000rpm+ hijnks quite as much as a revvy IL4.

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:53 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrCawdell wrote:

Bamt,

I agree i think i'll see how I feel when i'm on a bigger bike. Is Mrs Bamt on a bigger bike now??

No. But it really wasn't about power - she misses that. That problem was that she wasn't big and strong enough to man handle her Bandit 600 - so fine when riding, but as her work car park was dirt and pot hole riddled it was a challenge if she wasn't early enough to choose a space where she could power the bike into a position that she could ride out from. She did develop awesome slow speed control as stopping and holding it up was such a pain!

Note she is on a virago 250; the position is much more knee friendly and she can easily push the bike around or flat foot it when stopped. She loves it, but she wishes it was faster!

MrCawdell
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 11:01 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger,

Excuse my ignorance but IL4s are In Line 4 motors right? In which case I know the difference between the two but i've never rode one so I cant comment as to what I prefer riding.

I have only really looked at the ER-5s and the CBR500s, but i'm going to go take a peak now!

Bamt,

Get that work to fix that car park up so the wife can enjoy her bikes more! But it seems like theres a happy medium out there for everyone!

All this talk and I cannot wait to do my DAS!

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:02 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its all a moot point really until you sit on/ride a bike on your DAS.

Me personally before id passed my DAS I found a sports bike too cramped and I liked the sit up and beg Gladius that I trained on so I started with an 'easy' to ride CB650F. Once I had improved a bit I rode my mates CBR and fell in love with the sports bike. That's the beautiful thing with biking - easy to switch up and change.

You learn throttle control on the course so don't panic about thinking you will smash open the throttle and dump the bike down the road - it just doesn't happen, you're not on a Fireblade et

Once you have your first few days of DAS training , then go sit on some bikes in showrooms/dealers, and feel how different/comfortable they are to you personally. Like I said sports feel very different to cruisers/nakeds.

MrCawdell
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 11:14 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

AshWebster wrote:
Its all a moot point really until you sit on/ride a bike on your DAS.

Me personally before id passed my DAS I found a sports bike too cramped and I liked the sit up and beg Gladius that I trained on so I started with an 'easy' to ride CB650F. Once I had improved a bit I rode my mates CBR and fell in love with the sports bike. That's the beautiful thing with biking - easy to switch up and change.

You learn throttle control on the course so don't panic about thinking you will smash open the throttle and dump the bike down the road - it just doesn't happen, you're not on a Fireblade et

Once you have your first few days of DAS training , then go sit on some bikes in showrooms/dealers, and feel how different/comfortable they are to you personally. Like I said sports feel very different to cruisers/nakeds.

I think thats what ill do. I'm looking at bikes mainly on a visual basis right now as I don't know a huge amount about them, nor do i know what I prefer to ride. I'll get on the ones at the test centre and then go look at a few.

What are peoples reviews on Hyosung? Seem to be quite a bit of bike for the money?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:45 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrCawdell wrote:
Excuse my ignorance but IL4s are In Line 4 motors right?

Yes.

By and large, a twin will deliver more torque at lower revs. A 4 cylinder will deliver more power at higher revs. Neither is objectively better, but they provide different riding experiences. It's a case of what you use them for, and what you prefer.

Then there's Triumph and Yamaha with their triples, messing with our heads.

I'd recommend that you try a range of bikes - you'll be surprised how differently bikes with a similar capacity but different number of cylinders and tuning will behave.

pudder
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:50 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrCawdell wrote:
My main use will be to visit my partner couple nights a week whos about 50 miles away.

A 100 mile round trip is likely to get boring fast on a 250.

Like many above have said, you should be competent in the control of a 600cc bike, otherwise you shouldn't have passed your tests. If you are worried that once you are no longer under the supervision of instructor you will go crazy and bin it down the road, then you could always get a 600 and restrict it for a while.

Don't though, its not necessary. The fact that you are worrying about the power being too much says to me that you are aware of your own inexperience, cautious and less likely to push yourself outside of comfort zone.

MrCawdell
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:38 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger;

Thanks Roger. I've got a lot to learn! I'm still getting my head around how my insurance wants to charge me less for higher bhp and cc than smaller bikes!

Pudder;

I think i just need to get on them and go from there. The image ive got in my head of riding a bike and how quickly they accelerate etc i'm sure will be downplayed once i've been on one and experienced it. But like a few have mentioned on here i think i will be bored of a 250 once im used to the tarmac being right under my feet and the speed doesnt feel all that.

But you're right, I know of a few people who've been unfortunate on bikes and will be showing them 100% respect. I've got a couple hundred thousand car miles under my belt too so know what to look out for from other motorists.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:08 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrCawdell wrote:
Thanks Roger. I've got a lot to learn!

That's the fun bit. It's great how bikes ride so differently - I love the variety, and trying different models, even if I then decide they're not for me.

For example, I tried a FZS600 and a CBR600F which were both great, with beautifully smooth, revvy 4 cylinder engines. For many owners they would made ideal bikes, but they were actually too "good" for the purposes that I was after at the time. I can hammer my 250 on my commute where I'd barely be off idle on a bigger bike. For doing a 50 mile trip though, I'd take a 600+ every time.

MrCawdell wrote:
I'm still getting my head around how my insurance wants to charge me less for higher bhp and cc than smaller bikes!

There's no fathoming it. I swapped a ~10hp 125 for a ~60hp 500 and my insurance came down. Eh?

MrCawdell
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:51 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
MrCawdell wrote:
Thanks Roger. I've got a lot to learn!

That's the fun bit. It's great how bikes ride so differently - I love the variety, and trying different models, even if I then decide they're not for me.

For example, I tried a FZS600 and a CBR600F which were both great, with beautifully smooth, revvy 4 cylinder engines. For many owners they would made ideal bikes, but they were actually too "good" for the purposes that I was after at the time. I can hammer my 250 on my commute where I'd barely be off idle on a bigger bike. For doing a 50 mile trip though, I'd take a 600+ every time.

MrCawdell wrote:
I'm still getting my head around how my insurance wants to charge me less for higher bhp and cc than smaller bikes!

There's no fathoming it. I swapped a ~10hp 125 for a ~60hp 500 and my insurance came down. Eh?

To say i'm looking forward to it is an understatement. It's a shame it costs so much to get started which is probably a huge deterrant to most.

But i've been having a little look at 600-700s and found a few which peak my interest. Once i've passed i'll start narrowing it down a bit. The 650 Bandit K5 is looking nice though Rolling Eyes

But yep, insurance baffles me.

In regards to insurance, i'll be putting mine in a shed with just a bloody big chain on it - are there any security devices recommended to lower it substantially worth investing in?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:46 - 18 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrCawdell wrote:

In regards to insurance, i'll be putting mine in a shed with just a bloody big chain on it - are there any security devices recommended to lower it substantially worth investing in?

No. Security is for your peace of mind. The only security I tell the insurance about is the manufacturers immobiliser. Anything else is negligible and gives them a rod to beat you with if your bike is stolen and you hadn't activated the 17 anti theft devices you declared. Rolling Eyes

Out of sight is out of mind. Garage, shed, cover, round the back of the house, bedroom with a ground anchor. Anywhere the thieving little scrotes in MK (and there are plenty) will have trouble getting to or getting the bike from.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 2 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2