Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Seeking a bit of advice with a valve train problem

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Isj0321
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:29 - 07 Apr 2017    Post subject: Seeking a bit of advice with a valve train problem Reply with quote

Bike was running rough, hard to start, spluttering and cutting out. Ive stripped it down and found an oil leak, oil dripping through a leak sprung in a spark plug tunnel. Fixed that suspecting a gasket seal failure, nothing more, but still running like crap afterwards.
Decided to check the clearances suspecting the worst and found a tight gap
.63-.76 where it should be 1.5-2 in that same cylinder as the leak, my thinking is i've likely a bent valve and the head needs stripping. Do i strip the head or just reshim it and hope for the best?

Hahadumball
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:01 - 07 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

try prying the head apart with 2 screwdrivers
and then push the valve up using a screwdriver through the gap
and then push it back down and repeat this a few times.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:09 - 08 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

FFS, I got my mac and notebook out but, other than some vague reference to a tunnel, nobody is talking about trains.

Snod Blatter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 14:25 - 08 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will surely take more than the gap being a bit tight to get the valve to touch the piston, I doubt that is your problem. My personal guess would be the oil on the plug allowing the spark to crawl down the outside, giving you a weak spark in the combustion chamber. A new plug is usually required, just cleaning them never seems to work.

Of course putting the clearance back into spec is also a very good idea!

Baggyman
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 16:02 - 08 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: Seeking a bit of advice with a valve train problem Reply with quote

Isj0321 wrote:
...a leak sprung in a spark plug tunnel. Fixed that suspecting a gasket seal failure, nothing more, but still running like crap afterwards.

The only way I can think of to get a leak into there is if the head is cracked. Has anything significant happened to it recently?

Are you sure it is just not dripping down from somewhere like an oil cooler hose?

What bike is it? Any pictures?

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:44 - 08 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: Seeking a bit of advice with a valve train problem Reply with quote

Baggyman wrote:
Isj0321 wrote:
...a leak sprung in a spark plug tunnel. Fixed that suspecting a gasket seal failure, nothing more, but still running like crap afterwards.

The only way I can think of to get a leak into there is if the head is cracked. Has anything significant happened to it recently?

What bike is it? Any pictures?

Modern inline 4's have deep seated plugs, so a dodgy rocker cover gasket could leak oil into the plug well.

Bike info is always helpful in the Workshop threads, at least it is if you want sensible answers Wink

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 16:45 - 08 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bent valve would give you a larger valve clearance, not a smaller one. The valve doesn't sit square in its seat but protrudes into the combustion chamber, meaning the valve sits lower and there is more space between valve and follower.

I'm also a bit confused by what you say the measurements should be. .63-.76 mm sounds like a rather large gap, 1.5-2 mm sounds enormous. Are you using imperial measurements with the decimal point in a funny place?

What bike is it?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 13 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1