Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Nosy old biddy and her residents association

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Tierbirdy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:57 - 07 Apr 2017    Post subject: Nosy old biddy and her residents association Reply with quote

Ahhh the joy of renting, always being stuck living by somebody else's rule book and having to bend over backwards for them.

Enough is enough, they've gone too far now.

The old hag opposite us is the head of the local "residents association" and has taken a particular disliking to us and some of the things we do.

And so begins the Saga of The Washing Line.

A few months ago she sent us a snotty letter (or rather, the housing association property management, acting on the residents association behalf, did), demanding that we stop parking our motorbikes outside the house because she didn't like hearing them in the morning, and that we stop putting clothes airers outside to dry clothes in the sun, and that we take down our washing line and replace it with a rotary folding line. The reason given for the latter two points were solely that they are "unsightly".

We compromised, we stopped parking the bikes outside and now park them in our garage block (which is the next street over, so pretty inconvenient, and not to mention its puncture central as the local pikeys use it as a workshop and leave nails all over the floor) and no longer put an airer outside (though admittedly thats more because it kept falling over, which Im sure is totally the wind's fault and nothing to do with old biddy who doesnt like it Rolling Eyes ). But the washing line stayed, because frankly Im not paying £30+ for a rotary airer just because nosy old curtain twitching bat with nothing more to do in her empty, meaningless life than whine about other people wants it that way.

Months passed and no more was said, so I assumed all was well in the world, out compromise was acceptable.

Until today, when we got yet another shitty letter, and because Ol' Hag is besties with out landlord, shes complained to him as well, whos now also moaning at us to take the line down.

Frankly you might say its a trivial matter, take it down and get a rotary for the sake of a quiet life, but its the principle - where will their reign of tyranny end? Why should I have to waste hard earned money just to please curtain twitching old coffin dodgers who need to hurry up and shuffle off this mortal coil.

So what do? Carry on ignoring it and risk Lottle Old Doris tattling on us to our landlord? What power/authority do these self aggrandizing old farts and their "residents/housing associations" actually have?

Replying to the letters simply saying "Its only a fucking washing line, not a neon pink elephant, people have been using them for centuries its not 'unsightly' get over yourselves - give us a real reason to take it down" (perhaps more eloquently worded in reality) was met with "Do what you're told because we say so.".
Unfortunately waiting for her to hobble past the garages in the morning and backfire the bikes loudly in the hope she has a heart attack and keels over isn't an option either.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:30 - 07 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Petrol through the letter box*.

*don't do this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 21:32 - 07 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: Nosy old biddy and her residents association Reply with quote

Tierbirdy wrote:
Ahhh the joy of renting, always being stuck living by somebody else's rule book and having to bend over backwards for them.

Enough is enough, they've gone too far now.

The old hag opposite us is the head of the local "residents association" and has taken a particular disliking to us and some of the things we do.

And so begins the Saga of The Washing Line.

A few months ago she sent us a snotty letter (or rather, the housing association property management, acting on the residents association behalf, did), demanding that we stop parking our motorbikes outside the house because she didn't like hearing them in the morning, and that we stop putting clothes airers outside to dry clothes in the sun, and that we take down our washing line and replace it with a rotary folding line. The reason given for the latter two points were solely that they are "unsightly".

We compromised, we stopped parking the bikes outside and now park them in our garage block (which is the next street over, so pretty inconvenient, and not to mention its puncture central as the local pikeys use it as a workshop and leave nails all over the floor) and no longer put an airer outside (though admittedly thats more because it kept falling over, which Im sure is totally the wind's fault and nothing to do with old biddy who doesnt like it Rolling Eyes ). But the washing line stayed, because frankly Im not paying £30+ for a rotary airer just because nosy old curtain twitching bat with nothing more to do in her empty, meaningless life than whine about other people wants it that way.

Months passed and no more was said, so I assumed all was well in the world, out compromise was acceptable.

Until today, when we got yet another shitty letter, and because Ol' Hag is besties with out landlord, shes complained to him as well, whos now also moaning at us to take the line down.

Frankly you might say its a trivial matter, take it down and get a rotary for the sake of a quiet life, but its the principle - where will their reign of tyranny end? Why should I have to waste hard earned money just to please curtain twitching old coffin dodgers who need to hurry up and shuffle off this mortal coil.

So what do? Carry on ignoring it and risk Lottle Old Doris tattling on us to our landlord? What power/authority do these self aggrandizing old farts and their "residents/housing associations" actually have?

Replying to the letters simply saying "Its only a fucking washing line, not a neon pink elephant, people have been using them for centuries its not 'unsightly' get over yourselves - give us a real reason to take it down" (perhaps more eloquently worded in reality) was met with "Do what you're told because we say so.".
Unfortunately waiting for her to hobble past the garages in the morning and backfire the bikes loudly in the hope she has a heart attack and keels over isn't an option either.

Years ago I had an incredibly similar situation.

Want my honest opinion, just buy the appropriate airer and stop worrying about it. Move on and carry on living your life. It means more to these pedantic curtain twitchers than it should to you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:46 - 07 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not give in to her unreasonable requests because that'll only encourage her.

Take it up with your landlord. Thumbs Up

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:49 - 07 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd tell her that if she wants a different washing line, then she can buy it, otherwise Middle Finger

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:51 - 07 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be tempted to leave things as is and then when the resulting eviction proceedings start, give the judge the letter to show them just what fucking idiots they are.

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:53 - 07 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read about my encounter with a similar gobshite.

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=3181225#3181225

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 21:58 - 07 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find somewhere else. Whilst moving shit, piss and throw up into a watering can. Pour that through her letterbox the evening you move. Job jobbed.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:04 - 07 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Find somewhere else. Whilst moving shit, piss and throw up into a watering can. Pour that through her letterbox the evening you move. Job jobbed.

Is it flammable?

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:11 - 07 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would:

a) Ask what should be done if a person cannot afford to change their washing line.

b) Say I can't afford to change the washing line.

The old lady is essentially asking you to pay extra to keep things in tune with her pea-brained aesthetic desires for the area. Don't give in!

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:32 - 07 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy new bedsheets, hang them out.

https://s3.india.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/re41.jpg

kerr
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:34 - 07 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Do not give in to her unreasonable requests because that'll only encourage her.

Take it up with your landlord. Thumbs Up
#

I tend to agree with this, give people like that inch they will take a mile, can you really be evicted for not getting an appropriate washing line? surely if the landlord cared then they would have one installed themselves.
Fight fire with fire, contact the popo about the harassment you are receiving Laughing

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:41 - 07 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could induce apoplexy (or at least hypertension) in the old dear by hanging out freshly laundered dildos, rubber wear, gimp masks, studded underwear and your selection of straps and harnesses in your washing line.

Other than that, you know where she lives. Does she like pizza?

Baggyman
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 23:42 - 07 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is legal, start parking the bikes outside her house. You pay your road tax. You are entitled to park them on the road.

If she complains just tell her you would rather park them outside your own house but some bizzbody hag bag complains when you do.

Nooooooooooooooooo Surrendaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Alternatively, host a BBQ and invite us Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Vracktal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:55 - 07 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i.imgur.com/89rnoGr.png

https://www.bagsoflove.co.uk/personalised-beach-towels.aspx

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 00:19 - 08 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baggyman wrote:
You pay your road tax. You are entitled to park them on the road.

VED has got nothing to do with parking. Wink

Contacting the police (on the non emergency number) is an option for the OP so if the unreasonable behaviour / demands of the irrational old lady escalates, there'll already be something on record about it, you'll have got there before she has a chance to. Laughing

Your landlord will be thrilled to hear what problems the crazy old lady is causing, it's important for them to hear your side of the story because you can bet the old dear hasn't been accurate with the truth.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:07 - 08 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who do you actually rent off?

Is there anything in the tenancy agreement about having to use a rotary drier?
Are there any ground fittings for said dryer? If not then who is going to install it ? (chance for a ground anchor Wink )
If the landlord is backing her up, then back to point 1 and will he supply one then.... As you are happy with the line and can see no issue with it.

I would have a face to face meeting with the landlord and explain the issue you are having with her and what you have done to appease her in the past.
You may find he agrees with you and is also sick of her trying to run the gulag... Laughing
I would then say that your bikes are coming back due to problem where they are parked now. That they are fully road legal.

You could also by a van and park it outside your house, or a nice noisy car Wink

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 07:57 - 08 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: Nosy old biddy and her residents association Reply with quote

Tierbirdy wrote:
housing association property management
[...]
landlord

Warrants some followup. Who can actually evict you?

Serious options are to get chummier with them, or buy rent from the bank instead.

Tierbirdy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 10:31 - 08 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

We rent privately, we have nothing to do with the people sending us letters as far as I know. And our contract doesn't specify anything about rotary washing lines. Our landlord used to live in this flat with his brother, who got dementia so had to be moved into a care home, so he now rents this flat out to pay for that whilst hes moved somewhere else - which means he knows all the other old codgers in the area and they know him and complain directly to him.

The people sending us letters are these cunts https://www.thehmlgroup.co.uk/

No idea who they are or what they do or why they think they have any power over us, we don't have any contract with them. Apparently I was wrong and they're "Property management solutions" not a housing association. I don't know what that means or why they think they can tell us what to do.

Adding to the list of reasons why I don't want to put a rotary line up, a quick google on how to do it shows they're supposed to be concreted into place? Our rear garden never gets any sunlight due to tall buildings and trees, as a result its a permanently boggy mess, so sticking a rotary line into it will just flop over - like all the other rotary lines other people have put up. When I pointed this out to them they totally ignored it and DO WHAT YOURE TOLD, PLEBIAN.

I can't be bothered to dig up the back garden and start concreting things into place, especially if it means splashing out even more cash on more tools and concrete... although... that probably would royally annoy Old Doris with the amount of noise and mess we can make doing the shoddiest job possible. Mr. Green Not to mention whether we'd even be allowed to dig & concrete stuff in the back garden that's apparently not ours to do with as we please.

Sadly mortgaging a place isnt an option either, I am a peasant with a terrible credit rating due to some poor life choices as a young adult. Whilst I am remedying that, its long hard work. So I'm stuck being a rental-pleb held hostage by the broken housing market here.

Baggyman
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 10:42 - 08 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tierbirdy wrote:
We rent privately, we have nothing to do with the people sending us letters as far as I know. And our contract doesn't specify anything about rotary washing lines.

The people sending us letters are these cunts https://www.thehmlgroup.co.uk/

No idea who they are or what they do or why they think they have any power over us, we don't have any contract with them. Apparently I was wrong and they're "Property management solutions" not a housing association. I don't know what that means or why they think they can tell us what to do.

Adding to the list of reasons why I don't want to put a rotary line up, a quick google on how to do it shows they're supposed to be concreted into place? I can't be bothered to dig up the back garden and start concreting things into place, especially if it means splashing out even more cash on more tools and concrete... although... that probably would royally annoy Old Doris with the amount of noise and mess we can make doing the shoddiest job possible. Mr. Green Not to mention whether we'd even be allowed to dig & concrete stuff in the back garden that's apparently not ours to do with as we please.

Sadly mortgaging a place isnt an option either, I am a peasant with a terrible credit rating due to some poor life choices as a young adult. Whilst I am remedying that, its long hard work. So I'm stuck being a rental-pleb held hostage by the broken housing market here.

Send them one of these. A Subject Access Request under the Data Protection Act. Easy to do and will make them back right off.

https://ico.org.uk/for-the-public/personal-information/

That will give you access to whatever the old bat has written to them about you or whatever they have documented from her phone call. The musty have a file otherwise they would not have sent you a letter.

If they fail to comply, follow up through the process for non-response.

Separately, I would reply in writing to their mail asking them under what contractual relationship or legislation they think they have a right to ask you to do anything - a polite "who the fuck are you anyway?"

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:49 - 08 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: Nosy old biddy and her residents association Reply with quote

Tierbirdy wrote:
Ol' Hag is besties with out landlord, shes complained to him as well, whos now also moaning at us to take the line down.

Tell landlord that if he wants you to use a rotary line then he needs to supply/fit one.

Many Rotary lines don't have to be concreted in. Many of them come with a tube/spike thing that can be knocked into the soil and the unit then fits into that.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:50 - 08 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.thehmlgroup.co.uk/contact-us/

Calling Ste. This ones for you. Cool

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:52 - 08 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

baggymans reply sound like a wise move.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:59 - 08 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, but I would suggest that the most effective response is to have a friendly chat with the property owner, apologise for the hassle, and ask what his expectations are.

Crazy thought, but maybe you could also have a chat with the old bat and get her onside as well. Go off on one about foreigners in the queue at the Post Office, they like that.

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:11 - 08 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no expert OP, but I believe the terms set out in your lease trump anything and everything. As long as you are abiding by the terms of your lease then you are in the clear, check your lease!
Unless there is mention, in your lease, of complying with the rules and regs of the complainants organisation, then you can happily ignore!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 19 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3