BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Nosy old biddy and her residents association

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:02 - 08 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the deeds on the land registry (costs £6). Tenements, terraces and especially council properties often have some very detailed specifics written into the deeds about the use of washin lines etc.

For example. I live in an ex-council terraced house. My deeds specifically forbid me from errecting a washing line at the front of the house, they go on to referr to the back garden as the "drying green". So it is implicit in that that I CAN hang a washing line on the "drying green".

In any case, I would suggest you referr to the area you are hanging out your clothes as the "drying green" in any and all future correspondance.

Omega
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 12:27 - 08 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd move. That's one of the benefit to renting. It's your home and you don't need that kind of hassle all the time. If you owned the place then it would be a tough situation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Baggyman
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 12:53 - 08 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suntan Sid wrote:
I'm no expert OP, but I believe the terms set out in your lease trump anything and everything. As long as you are abiding by the terms of your lease then you are in the clear, check your lease!
Unless there is mention, in your lease, of complying with the rules and regs of the complainants organisation, then you can happily ignore!

don't ignore whilst there is fun to be had Very Happy

I should have said, make sure you address your letter to the Managing Director. Pound to a penny this is some nob connected to hagbag who thinks headed notepaper will scare you. If that is the case an extremely pissy MD having to deal with a SAR will not be pleased.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:15 - 08 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised nobody has suggested a throat punch and a kick in the tit as a means of resolution. Thinking
BCF, whats happened to you. Crying or Very sad

JP7
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:33 - 08 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRZ4Hunned wrote:
I'd tell her that if she wants a different washing line, then she can buy it, otherwise Middle Finger

This. My grandad's neighbour took great offence to his TV aerial saying it interfered with their reception, and kept moaning at him to move it to the other side of the house. He told them he was perfectly happy with it but if they wanted it moved so much, they could pay for it.

In the end they agreed to pay for it, so he moved the aerial. His reception improved, the neighbour's got worse.

Tell her to pay for it, and hope it's really squeaky and annoying. Thumbs Up

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:04 - 08 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
I'm surprised nobody has suggested a throat punch and a kick in the tit as a means of resolution. Thinking

I did mention that kill it with fire may or may not be an option.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:40 - 08 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tierbirdy wrote:
We rent privately, we have nothing to do with the people sending us letters as far as I know. And our contract doesn't specify anything about rotary washing lines.

When we rented a flat that had a resident's association there was mention of complying with the rules of living there.

These rules basically set out what was considered anti-social behaviour so no loud music etc after 11pm, no parking along one part of the driveway, all quite reasonable requests, some odd ones such as no tents in the gardens and no disposable BBQ's or fires (please use BBQ's in the east store room)

you might find there is a note in your tenancy agreement about the residents association compliance.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:41 - 08 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:

I believe that the old bat had done this to OP, hence current position of bending over to receive more.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:51 - 08 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suntan Sid wrote:
I'm no expert OP, but I believe the terms set out in your lease trump anything and everything. As long as you are abiding by the terms of your lease then you are in the clear, check your lease!
Unless there is mention, in your lease, of complying with the rules and regs of the complainants organisation, then you can happily ignore!

I suspect there's the issue. The difference between OP's assured shorthold tenancy and the property owner's leasehold agreements. I'd imagine the two aren't doing a great job of being back to back.

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:51 - 08 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracey Suntan-King wrote:
You could induce apoplexy (or at least hypertension) in the old dear by hanging out freshly laundered dildos, rubber wear, gimp masks, studded underwear and your selection of straps and harnesses in your washing line.
If I still had my firearms cert. I would have been happy to sit in your garden cleaning my Lee-Enfield, bayonet attached, whilst leering at said hags' window whilst dribbling and muttering to myself. Worked before with one of my neighbours.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:11 - 08 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biddy is leaving her money to whom?

Cats Protection League?

Fix that.

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:14 - 09 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure you could make life very difficult here. Right now it's very hard to get an unwanted tennant out of a rented property, especially if they're playing by all the rules.

Personally, I'd be moving the bikes back, sticking up a "no coffin dodgers" sign and fitting neon lights in all windows.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:45 - 09 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at your tenancy agreement. If there's no rules prohibiting a clothes line then fuck em. Being able to hang your washing out is a normal amenity. Landlord and neighbours on a losing wicket if there's no rules already in place around drying methods.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:54 - 09 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
Look at your tenancy agreement. If there's no rules prohibiting a clothes line

If the leaseholder's agreement has something; what then?

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:00 - 09 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Ribenapigeon wrote:

Anytbing the tenant is required to abide by should be in their contract with their landlord. If the landlord hasn't made sure something is included it may be the landlord is liable as they are liable for the behaviour of their tenants.

Shelter the charity is the best place to get advice if you're a tenant.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:01 - 09 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:

Linklater them?

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:18 - 09 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Ribenapigeon wrote:

TBH, OP needs to check the tenancy agreement and ask his landlord what the leaseholder's agreement says. Whilst the tenancy agreement may have been sloppy and not mentioned obligations that the landlord has, it's a bit of a dick move to do stuff that you know is going to cause the landlord grief (assuming that relations with the landlord are otherwise good) and hide behind sloppy contracts.

By checking them, you'll know exactly what you can or can't do - so if motorbikes aren't mentioned, then the bikes go back in front of the house as that is only offending the old lady's sensibilities, not breaking the rules. Similarly, check what the actual rules are relating to washing lines. And think about things that may really upset the lady across the road whilst not breaking the rules. Purely so you can avoid doing them, of course.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:18 - 09 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:

Anytbing the tenant is required to abide by should be in their contract with their landlord. If the landlord hasn't made sure something is included it may be the landlord is liable as they are liable for the behaviour of their tenants.

Absolutely agreed. So how do you think this pans out for the tenant at the end of their assured shorthold tenancy agreement? A welcoming rolling contract, or a GTFO? Which would you prefer for the sake of a simply dealt with issue over a washing line ffs?

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:44 - 09 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

walk into her house and use her tumble drier
she is bound to have one Laughing

Tigerlea
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 14:43 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

bamt wrote:
By checking them, you'll know exactly what you can or can't do - so if motorbikes aren't mentioned, then the bikes go back in front of the house as that is only offending the old lady's sensibilities, not breaking the rules. Similarly, check what the actual rules are relating to washing lines. And think about things that may really upset the lady across the road whilst not breaking the rules. Purely so you can avoid doing them, of course.

This seems pretty sensible.

If the landlord is requiring you to use a specific type of clothesline, they have a clause in their landlord and tenancy act.. something about "to keep in repair and proper working order the installations in the dwelling-house for the supply of water, gas and electricity and for sanitation". Now, a clothes dryer probably doesn't fall under the 'sanitation' category.. The thing is, if you were to install a rotary line dryer your landlord, if he decided to be mean about it, could go after your deposit for "causing damage". The rotary line, if you installed it, would be your property so it would go with you when you left, if you wanted. Thus, if you left a hole in the yard or any resulting damage (concreting? not damage but, y'know, people can be picky) you could be liable for it. Just as you would be if you did any 'repairs' within the property.

If your landlord requires you to use a rotary dryer, he may be responsible for supplying one to you. But I don't know this for certain.. can't find any specific information on that.

I would suggest speaking directly with your landlord. It's best to stay on good terms with him. And get the full story, too.

Good luck!

Stoker
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 16:43 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so, having re-read OP's original post, it is apparent that this group who the OP is having problems with is just a "Residents Association', merely a group of local residents who associate to discuss important neighbourhood issues such as :-

"the grass outside number 33 hasn't been cut since October, it's a disgrace", and "Emma? Well, I know the year fives adore her, but she's illegitamate" Middle Finger

They have no legal powers, no authority, nothing. Little, meaningless people with empty, unfulfilled lives.

They have written/complained to your landlords Agent, (HML Group) who are just that; agents... a third party who your landlord pays a fee to, to collect rents, arrange repairs, all the stuff a landlord would do. They act on behalf of your landlord. They have no more rights than a landlord, but they will have more experience in sorting disputes. Who did you deal with when you got the tenancy? They would be my first point to make a relationship with, make tentative enquires/test the water... Thumbs Up

Residents Associations? Yeah, if you all have a shit landlord and want to band together for extra clout, but these fuckers just sound like Neighbourhood Nazis.

Have you thought about joining, or at least, going along to one of their meetings? Try it| Smile
These aint the type of people who will be openly hostile to you, so if you appear to be friendly and amenable to them, they will smile to you, say hello, etc, and just mutter amongst themselves until they find another victim for their outraged indignation.

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 17:16 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the washing line is in contravention of the leasehold agreement, then it's down to the landlord to make sure that a washing line isn't used, ergo it's their problem not yours. If it's part of your tenancy agreement, then it's on you.

As has been mentioned, the motorbike thing is entirely a concession to her being an interfering busybody - there'll be no foundation for this particular caveat on either the leasehold agreement or the tenancy agreement, since neither of those can control what goes on on a public road.

Resident associations are predominantly for the purpose of forming a renter's union against crap landlords, not for policing neighbourhoods. Short answer, ask your landlord (in a non-combative manner) whether a rotary drier is something that they specifically need you to use, or if it's purely to keep Fräulein CurtainTwitcher happy.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:21 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stoker wrote:
Ok, so, having re-read OP's original post, it is apparent that this group who the OP is having problems with is just a "Residents Association', merely a group of local residents who associate to discuss important neighbourhood issues such as :-

"the grass outside number 33 hasn't been cut since October, it's a disgrace", and "Emma? Well, I know the year fives adore her, but she's illegitamate" Middle Finger

They have no legal powers, no authority, nothing. Little, meaningless people with empty, unfulfilled lives.

They have written/complained to your landlords Agent, (HML Group) who are just that; agents... a third party who your landlord pays a fee to, to collect rents, arrange repairs, all the stuff a landlord would do. They act on behalf of your landlord. They have no more rights than a landlord, but they will have more experience in sorting disputes.

We don't know if the Residents Association is a nothing entity or a fully functioning RTM Res Co that's appointed HML as their agents with full authority.

HML, the managing agents, are most likely acting on behalf of the freeholder, not the leaseholder (ie OP's landlord) in this instance. They have as much right as the long term lease and any side agreements via an RTM co stipulate they have.

As I've said already, the chances are the AST the OP has signed up to doesn't do a good job of running back to back with the leasehold agreement the landlord has and there may be some merit on the complaints on that basis.

Either way, a rotary washing line is all of £50 most likely and a fresh set of tenancy reference checks probably 3x that, plus the cost of moving.

It's a no-brainer.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:05 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It won't stop with that though, since OP's face clearly doesn't fite fit.

Talking to the landlord directly to see who he's going to back when push comes to anonymous-accusation-of-drug-dealing might save a fair bit of expense and time.

Baggyman
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 18:11 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not PM Nemo?

He knows a window cleaner that will go and stand in her garden - that should freak her out Twisted Evil
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 15 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3