Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Audi A5 - talk to me

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:03 - 08 Apr 2017    Post subject: Audi A5 - talk to me Reply with quote

Seen an 11 plate Audi A5 TDI 143 for sale locally

It's got 120k on the clock with full dealer service history, and its diesel, i only do about 6k a year so I'm worried about DPF's and such like, most of which is a daily 6mile each way commute down some national speed limit roads.

The dealer selling it says it wouldn't be an issue on such a trip as it would get up to temp

So BCF would you

A) buy a audi A5 with such high mileage
B) buy a diesel given the use its going to get

Last edited by duhawkz on 22:58 - 08 Apr 2017; edited 2 times in total

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:06 - 08 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh i forgot to ask
C) anyone own one, know issues/common faults

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:06 - 08 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A) it's barely run in but there is a lot to go wrong on modern diesel engines that when they do it's expensive so wouldn't buy one unless you need to which;
B) you don't. Nope, don't pay the premium over a petrol to give yourself more potential problems - it won't ever pay you back.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:22 - 08 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now is not the time to buy a diseasel car. Wink

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:02 - 08 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought short journeys were bad for diesels?

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:43 - 08 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short trips into town were it doesn't get up to temperature are bad.

But apprently as the journey is long enough to get i up to temp its fine

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:44 - 08 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
I thought short journeys were bad for diesels?

They are, or certainly for DPF anyway. They also take longer to get up to temp than petrol cars generally, and as such fuel economy is shattered on short runs.

It wouldn't be my choice. If I were to go a diesel I'd plump for the 3.0TDi - not doing much mileage means there's minimal extra in fuel to be spent and it'll be at least a nicer drive than the deliberately underpowered 143 lump.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:41 - 08 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm some where in the back of my mind I've got a journeys less than 40 miles figure, but I also picture Mike Brewer saying it so... Smile

Scythe
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 22:14 - 08 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

duhawkz wrote:
Short trips into town were it doesn't get up to temperature are bad.

But apprently as the journey is long enough to get i up to temp its fine

I have a 2 litre diesel BMW 3 series. My daily commute consists of 50 miles of NSL roads, mostly dual carriageway, so my car sits at 60/70mph in 6th. My car just starts to hit normal operating temperature around 6-7 miles after which the ECU will consider a DPF regen. Not only that, you need to keep driving above a set speed for the regen to complete.

I really would not advise a diesel for your driving, never mind an A5 with that mileage. It'll cost a fortune when it fails. If you were doing a long commute on the motorway, that would be a different story.

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:21 - 08 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

it was just something that caught my eye on the way past, i wasn't specifically look for an Audi or a diesel

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:22 - 08 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

5days a week of 12miles isn't ideal, and let's be honest if your doing just 6k a year and you don't tow all the time, then you really don't need a diesel.

There is a couple of other points though.

1, big heavy cars, often the petrol engine options are considerably worse on fuel than the derv models.

2, it's not really a concern on an 11plate (oldish) Audi with that mileage on it, but on some types of newish cars they are only good sellers and hold a decent residual value if they are diesel.

Oh and if you were driving short runs 4-5days a week, the trick is to take the car on a deliberate drive every weekend, 20miles down the motorway in 4th at 80mph or a long drive up a hilly road, where you can be flat out most of the time.

If I was forced at gunpoint to own an Audi, I'd probably pick the 200bhp 2.0TFSI, as though plenty can still go wrong with them, it should be reasonable on fuel being DI and is powerful enough to move a heavy car sufficiently.

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 22:26 - 08 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great looking cars, 'our' (read: VW financial services) car has a similar (albeit newer) 150ps 2.0 TDI lump in it. Perfectly 'adequate' for the lumbering thing we have but totally uninspiring.

Not that we need it to be a massive powerhouse and adequate is fine for our needs.

Efficient though!

Mawsley
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:28 - 08 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: Audi A5 - talk to me Reply with quote

duhawkz wrote:

So BCF would you

A) buy a audi...

No. I may be a cunt but I'm not that much of a cunt.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:29 - 08 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

DPF delete/remap/limiter removal ftw. I've had my Sprinter done. Was just over 400 quid. Wasn't even mentioned
on last MOT and it failed on loads of other stuff. Laughing

oscar777
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 03:42 - 09 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

That mileage Audi youre looking at potential car write off faults any minute. Esp considering newer models, parts are built to fail usually at that sort of mileage. as long as youre aware of that and its cheap enough to get out as much as you can from it, if youre lucky you might get a decent bit of time before that happens. But always a gamble.

Also everyone knows you need a bare minimum of 3.0 litre in a car.

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:16 - 09 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our lasses dad has an A4 2.5 V6 diesel which he bought at a lower mileage than that and uses for long motorway hauls. It's now just over 140k and he's always having problems with the turbo, exhaust, roof mechanism (his is convertible) and the interior is starting to look like a taxi does with all the buttons rubbed smooth and things starting to drop off.

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 07:58 - 09 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a Passat with the same engine. Only problem I had was a failed boot latch and airbag sensor in 140,000 miles.

That said, I personally feel anybody looking at buying diesels privately now clearly have money to burn.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:28 - 09 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

People who want or need vans have few choices that aren't diesel. I won't be buying a diesel car again though.

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 08:49 - 09 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
People who want or need vans have few choices that aren't diesel. I won't be buying a diesel car again though.

Yeah, I meant cars.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:48 - 09 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mines still physically there. No welding or cutting open. The software that runs it has gone so it just sits there doing nothing.

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 13:23 - 09 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

As we currently lease, i will continue to do so with diesel until such a point it is no longer an option. Until then I will enjoy the sweet sweet MPGs.

Would not buy a diesel car now though - unless it was for bangernomics purposes and when government incentives come along to get rid of them take advantage of these.

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:57 - 09 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Mines still physically there. No welding or cutting open. The software that runs it has gone so it just sits there doing nothing.

You sure you don't mean the EGR? If the DPF is still there then it will still be getting filled with soot and will still need cleaning out by regeneration cycles. It's a physical filter, not a catalyst.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:14 - 09 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

weasley wrote:
grr666 wrote:

You sure you don't mean the EGR? If the DPF is still there then it will still be getting filled with soot and will still need cleaning out by regeneration cycles. It's a physical filter, not a catalyst.

https://www.ecuflash.co/dpf-removal/

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:02 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodsi wrote:
As we currently lease, i will continue to do so with diesel until such a point it is no longer an option. Until then I will enjoy the sweet sweet MPGs.

Would not buy a diesel car now though - unless it was for bangernomics purposes and when government incentives come along to get rid of them take advantage of these.

And those sweet sweet carcinogens. Should be lots of cheap diesels in the London area early 2019, even more so if they do extend the ULEZ in 2020.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 17 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3