Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Admiral motor insurance

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:26 - 09 Apr 2017    Post subject: Admiral motor insurance Reply with quote

I know Admiral come in for a bit of flak on this forum, so here's my two penn'orth...

My son recently needed to insure his first car; among the offerings provided by the Irritating Meerkat was Admiral at £800. While he was mulling over his options, by chance I received the renewal notice for my own car insurance, which is with Bell. I noticed on the letter that "Named Drivers earn a Bell No Claims Bonus" which was valid on any EUI Group company, ie including Admiral. Now, the boy's been a named driver on my insurance for 3 years now without incident, so that looked like a real plus for him. He phoned up Admiral to add his new NCB entitlement, which they accepted without demur. He was hoping for a 20% reduction in his premium.... guess how much discount they offered him?

£2.49 ! Dance!

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:53 - 09 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

£2.49 Thumbs Up Impressive. Laughing

I was with them a few year purely because multicar. Then they tried the 'bump it up' by £300 with auto renew which took it over the £1000 mark for our 3 cars.

I phoned around and got it for £680 from Direct line with no fancy extras. Admiral then offered to try and match even though their renewal quote was 'The very best offer we have for you' Rolling Eyes

I know all insurance companies are the same but it still pisses me off.

One thing I would say about Admiral they were easy to deal with when changing cars etc. mid way through the policy.

samkent6
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:08 - 09 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never really got on with admiral myself. I am insured through them now, but only because they are still the cheapest out of the lot. I have a 1.6 1993 mx5, when I brought it I paid £180 to transfer the insurance over from my 1.4 Citroen. Renewal time came and I was expecting maybe a couple hundred quid extra, after all I changed cars mid policy. Nope, double the price. Nearly Double! They wanted £1200~, for 200cc extra and a car that has a tiny accident rate compared to what I was driving before, the Citroen cost me about £700~ when I first got that, and that was with a black box!

I ended up opting for TPFAT because fully comprehensive was just too much for a car which cost less than that. Ended up managing to get it down to a much more reasonable, but still astronomical £779.95. That is with absolutely no extras like breakdown cover and personal injury. I'm 20 and at the time of renewel I had just got my 2nd year NCB. Let's see what they will quote me for my bike insurance when I pass my test.. 😏
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:38 - 09 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spent 2 weeks chasing them to get my bloody policy documents Evil or Very Mad Hope I don't have to deal with them again. I was wondering about the named driver discount as I stuck my dad on the insurance (it brought the premium down by a bit), to just over a grand when I'm 30 next year Rolling Eyes

Quick question, if I was to crash it wouldn't affect his NCD would it (policy's in my name)?

skatefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:50 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Admiral seem to be okay for 1-2 years at most, last year was my second renewal with them and it went from £550 to > £1,000?

Almost as if they thought I wouldn't notice a 100% increase?

WTF people!? Fucked off to Aviva for < £500. Screw you Admiral Prick!
See you in a couple of years again though no doubt Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:53 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
if I was to crash it wouldn't affect his NCD would it (policy's in my name)?

No, certainly not. My son also looked at the Admiral multicar option - which would have been available to the two of us, as the main drivers on our own respective vehicles, and even then if he crashed his own car Admiral confirmed that it wouldn't affect my own NCD. We didn't do it though as I didn't want to renew my own policy yet.

(By the by, he did end up taking out the Admiral policy, but rather than accepting the laughable £2.49 discount he used TopCashback which generated a £42 discount instead - for anybody who doesn't know about cashback sites they are an absolute no-brainer, especially for stuff like online insurance renewals, mobile contracts etc... if you're going to sign up please do me a favour and do so via my referral link? (https://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/ericthelobster) which generates a 'thank you'(!) kickback for me, with no skin off your nose)

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 12:39 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was forced to take out a new policy for my 600RR track bike in order to be able to ride it on the road. This was because Auntie Carole wanted £275 to add it to my multibike (when my policy was only £230 in the first place) but MCE (Who, admittedly I do hate) wanted £115 with 0 no claims bonus. This means I'll start to accrue two no claims bonuses though which isn't bad!

I've been with Elephant car insurance (who are another name for Admiral) for years and years and they are always the cheapest for me by miles. Their customer service is pretty good too, much better than most bike insurers.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 12:51 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was with Admiral who were the cheapest for my Car insurance my first year was ~£700

Second year comes around and the Renewal comes through. ~£800.

I look around and Sheila's Wheels do me a quote for ~£400

I smugly ring Admiral up and tell them to stick their £800.

The Girl says "Would you like me to see if I can beat it?"

I reply "No, 1 I don't want to waste my time 2 if you can under half your original quote I don't want to be with you because that is crooked"

She says "That's fine Do you mind telling me who you are going with?" I tell her, "She says oh we are the same same company give me the quote and I can process that for you" Laughing

I wish I had told her to stuff it.

Rogue_Shadow
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:52 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I buy insurance with the aim of never needing it.
So far I have not needed it, therefore cannot review any insurance company Laughing

Moxey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:15 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

I've been with Elephant car insurance (who are another name for Admiral) for years and years and they are always the cheapest for me by miles. Their customer service is pretty good too, much better than most bike insurers.

Funnily enough I have the polar opposite experience with them, found their customer service to be pleasant but useless, doesn't help they stuck my renewal up by £200 without asking and I got trapped with their auto renewal! Still the cheapest around unfortunately Sad.

Overall I rate admiral and their immediate subs akin to the MCE of the car insurance lot....cheap and incompetent.

Currently with Bennetts on the bike out of choice (MCE was cheaper), always had really good experience with them customer service wise (most pleasant of the rogues still).

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:19 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moxey wrote:

Funnily enough I have the polar opposite experience with them, found their customer service to be pleasant but useless, doesn't help they stuck my renewal up by £200 without asking and I got trapped with their auto renewal! Still the cheapest around unfortunately Sad.

Overall I rate admiral and their immediate subs akin to the MCE of the car insurance lot....cheap and incompetent.

Currently with Bennetts on the bike out of choice (MCE was cheaper), always had really good experience with them customer service wise (most pleasant of the rogues still).

that sounds like your incompetence ...

I just call them every year at renewal time and they match whatever is cheapest, it's the little dance you have to dance, only takes about 5-10 minutes of my time a year

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 13:51 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moxey wrote:

Call after 6pm and you get through to their Canadian call centre. Exceptionally helpful and the girls are a sucker for an English accent.

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:10 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

vice wrote:
Moxey wrote:

I was under the impression that silence can not be taken as acceptance of a contract, that and under distance selling regs you'd get a 2 week cooling off period.

the exception to the above is if you have a long standing agreement, eg you've been having milk delivered by the same chap for the past 8 years you'll need to tell him you don't want it as it's fair to assume you're happy with the arrangement.

I was last looking this up four years ago when MCE auto-renewed on me, however I had e-mailed to ask them not to do so

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:03 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonko The Sane wrote:
I was last looking this up four years ago when MCE auto-renewed on me, however I had e-mailed to ask them not to do so

Hmm I didn't think they did (auto-renew). Last time I got a phone call asking if I wanted to renew my policy, told them no, that was it. This time I got a letter saying their policies don't auto-renew, no quote included just a list of all the great benefits you get with MCE.

I don't think they're that fussed about keeping customers.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 15:22 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Hmm I didn't think they did (auto-renew). Last time I got a phone call asking if I wanted to renew my policy, told them no, that was it. This time I got a letter saying their policies don't auto-renew, no quote included just a list of all the great benefits you get with MCE.

All insurers do auto-renew now as their interpretation of the 'continuous insurance' rules...

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:07 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
M.C wrote:

All insurers do auto-renew now as their interpretation of the 'continuous insurance' rules...

Well that was last week:
https://i58.servimg.com/u/f58/15/13/82/47/mce10.jpg

If they're lying I am going to baww from the rooftops.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:55 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

I can't remember the last Ins co that did auto renew on me....

Since then I have used AA, RAC, Bennents, E-Bike Aviva, AXA and a few I can't remember....

Any that do always send out something that clearly states "Unless you contact us" your policy will be renewed.

techathy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 18:04 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to keep swapping between Chris Knott & Admiral as they seem to be the only two insurance companies who can actually keep a proper list of modifications (everyone else seems to lose a modification or two during the quote process).

chris-red wrote:

What do you drive? A McLaren? Laughing I'm feeling rather aggrieved that I'll have to spend £230 for a modified, 420bhp, car... that's an extra 20% on last year's premium Evil or Very Mad

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 18:31 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

techathy wrote:
I seem to keep swapping between Chris Knott & Admiral as they seem to be the only two insurance companies who can actually keep a proper list of modifications (everyone else seems to lose a modification or two during the quote process).

chris-red wrote:

What do you drive? A McLaren? Laughing I'm feeling rather aggrieved that I'll have to spend £230 for a modified, 420bhp, car... that's an extra 20% on last year's premium Evil or Very Mad

1.4 Fiesta, I'm 29 and am clean of points and have 3 ncb and have held my car licence 3 years.

Thats just how much it is, my missus pays about the same for a fiat 500.

techathy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:07 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
1.4 Fiesta, I'm 29 and am clean of points and have 3 ncb and have held my car licence 3 years.

Thats just how much it is, my missus pays about the same for a fiat 500.

Held my driving licence since '98, no points (ever), 19 years NCB & a RoSPA gold driver. Laughing

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:37 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

iooi wrote:
MarJay wrote:

I can't remember the last Ins co that did auto renew on me....

Since then I have used AA, RAC, Bennents, E-Bike Aviva, AXA and a few I can't remember....

Any that do always send out something that clearly states "Unless you contact us" your policy will be renewed.

Hastings do (another of BCF's favourite insurers).

spnorm
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:24 - 11 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I handed my company car back in December and took the car allowance instead, so the insurance quotes were all pretty expensive at £7-800 for my new Golf GT 2.0TDi without NCB. Admiral gave me a £200 discount for being a named driver on my wife's car policy, so were significantly cheaper than anyone else Thumbs Up

Baggyman
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:17 - 11 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

spnorm wrote:
I handed my company car back in December and took the car allowance instead, so the insurance quotes were all pretty expensive at £7-800 for my new Golf GT 2.0TDi without NCB. Admiral gave me a £200 discount for being a named driver on my wife's car policy, so were significantly cheaper than anyone else Thumbs Up

When I did the same 20 yrs ago, they gave me the NCD based on a letter from the fleet manager confirming no incidents. Worth a try?

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:40 - 12 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

techathy wrote:
19 years NCB

No such thing...

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Moxey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:26 - 12 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

vice wrote:

I just call them every year at renewal time and they match whatever is cheapest, it's the little dance you have to dance, only takes about 5-10 minutes of my time a year

How incompetent of me to expect some form of phone call (from a non withheld number at that), email or letter informing me that I was due for renewal........

They did take off £200 as a result of the cock up (they realised I had in fact opted out of auto-renew, which they conveniently forgot) same as the previous year but still £100 more than another firm I was going to insure with but by that point I'd given up, I do have to perform several little 'dances' throughout the year due to the number of vehicles we have Laughing gets quite tiring!

5-10 minutes? I was on the phone 20 minutes last Friday waiting for the MCE phone monkey to answer and confirm my bike NCD then send me written proof, a 2 minute conversation if that!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 8 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2