Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Door handles and MOTs.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

Derivative
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:55 - 09 Apr 2017    Post subject: Door handles and MOTs. Reply with quote

I am going to assume this doesn't fit in the Workshop because it has four wheels.

Civic is due for its' MoT soon. The drivers' inner door handle is knackered - I think the plastic wore through on the part that catches the door lever. I've tried putting it back on and it works for a while but eventually slips off or something and the handle is back to being for show.

I have taken it off. To open the drivers' door from the inside you pull a bit of metal and then push it back in a bit to avoid issues with locking.

Question then is, will this pass an MoT? The door opens and closes fine, I've probably done it hundreds of times and it's just me manually doing what the handle does.

A handle only costs about 15 quid but this is bangernomics.

Outside door handle is fine and all the others are too.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 21:00 - 09 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Possibly depends on the MOT tester.

A reason for failure is:-

Quote:
a driver’s or front passenger’s door cannot be opened from both inside and outside the vehicle using the relevant control in each case

All the best

Katy

Derivative
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:01 - 09 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. That's my problem. The wording is kind of vague. The relevant control is just the actual metal lever rather than the plastic handle connected to the metal lever. It's no more difficult to use in practice (as long as you know how).

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:05 - 09 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being able to open the doors without messing around is quite important really. Laughing

"2.8 Doors
These will be inspected to check that:

the latch is secure in the closed position
the front doors open from inside and outside the vehicle
the rear doors open from outside the vehicle
hinges and catches are secure and in a good condition"

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/car-parts-checked-at-an-mot/car-parts-checked-at-an-mot#car-parts-tested-in-the-mot

And

"Reasons for rejection:
b. a drivers or front passengers door cannot be opened from both inside and outside the vehicle using the relevant control in each case"

https://www.ukmot.com/manual/6.2/Seats-and-Doors#MOT

Derivative
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:08 - 09 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of that applies.

To be honest I'm thinking it's worth sorting out if only to make the car look like less of a shit heap and draw attention to other potentially questionable bits... Laughing

Car in question also has the (prior to my ownership) horn bodge of installing a switch somewhere else (presumably because replacing the button/wiring/whatever inside the steering wheel would be more hassle)

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:17 - 09 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Price of handle replacement - £15

Price of re-MOT if the first one fails because of that handle - £55

Or at best you'll get a reduced fee for a partial re-MOT that just tests the bit in question. Probably still £15 or more though Laughing

I'd say just fix it.

If it's not a hugely intricate mechanism you could even make a bodge with a spoon handle or something. As long as you can get a good grip on the 'door handle' and the mechanism works soundly, it would surely be fine.

Nb
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:44 - 13 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you tie a bit of string to it? If you can it will pass. I mot'd a navara with a bit of string on the inside handle mechanism a few weeks ago. Advised on it anyway but its still a pass.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bugeye_bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:54 - 13 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
Price of handle replacement - £15

Price of re-MOT if the first one fails because of that handle - £55

Or at best you'll get a reduced fee for a partial re-MOT that just tests the bit in question. Probably still £15 or more though Laughing

I'd say just fix it.

If it's not a hugely intricate mechanism you could even make a bodge with a spoon handle or something. As long as you can get a good grip on the 'door handle' and the mechanism works soundly, it would surely be fine.

Where do you go ?
Its a free retest at the local Indy MOT stations within 7 days.

Derivative
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:52 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nb wrote:
Can you tie a bit of string to it? If you can it will pass. I mot'd a navara with a bit of string on the inside handle mechanism a few weeks ago. Advised on it anyway but its still a pass.

Sort of.

It is a bit finicky in the sense that if you open it, the door will not lock via central locking unless you push the lever backwards (which I guess the spring would have done anyway).

I'll just get an actual door handle or bodge the one I do have.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:09 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugeye_bob wrote:
Its a free retest at the local Indy MOT stations within 7 days.

10 working days with kwik fit, gives you time to fix it yourself or get anyone other than kwik fit to work on the car Thumbs Up

MattEMulsion
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:50 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
10 working days with kwik fit, gives you time to fix it yourself or get anyone other than kwik fit to work on the car Thumbs Up

Why you would take your car to Kwik Fit in the first place for an MOT is beyond me. If you took it to a reputable garage it might pass first time and you would not need a free retest. It would also save you fixing those leaking shockers, cut tyres and split cv boots...

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 11:03 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here, have some free retest information:

https://mottesting.org.uk/mot-retest-information-fail.html

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:52 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MattEMulsion wrote:
M.C wrote:

Why you would take your car to Kwik Fit in the first place for an MOT is beyond me. If you took it to a reputable garage it might pass first time and you would not need a free retest. It would also save you fixing those leaking shockers, cut tyres and split cv boots...

I read this in reviews bawwing about cars failing on 'minor' things like brakes etc. Mine failed on wipers which I knew needed replacing, so it was £25 well spent Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 12 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1