Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Land Rover discovery or freelander

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

growler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 23:18 - 09 Apr 2017    Post subject: Land Rover discovery or freelander Reply with quote

We are looking for either as we want to do some more camping and need to tow a trailer and carry a Labrador
Any one got any advice on what to look out for?
We have a 2 grand budget

DOS
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:53 - 09 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO the disco.
Its more of a work horse than a thing to show off big car you drive in town or city to try look good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 00:14 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disco if you're wanting something to load up with stuff and tow a trailer. Thumbs Up

Slightly depends on how many people and how much stuff you're wanting to take. With a budget of £2k, if you find a freelander that's in much better condition than the discos on the market then I wouldn't necessarily be in a rush to buy a disco.

There's three door versions and five door versions to consider. Plenty of discos for £2k will have had a hard life.

It's horses for courses really. Not the most helpful answer but a lot of it comes back to which you can find the best deal on. A big old disco is all well and good unless you're having to pour money into keeping the damn thing road worthy.

Baggyman
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 05:54 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

How big a trailer? Do you really need 4WD? Do you need the extra ground clearance or is it just for fields

Up to 750kg, just about anything will do it so not really any need to pay the land rover premium. So, estate car (with or without 4WD) or other SUV will give you much more for your money

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:38 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

As above, for normal camping a car (or estate for carrying more stuff) will happily do most trailers and reasonable sized caravans.

On the freelander/disco thing, you are looking at fairly tired old machines for that money. Freelanders had a nasty, fairly expensive, habit of eating head gaskets so make sure that is sound. Not at lot else to say except buy them on condition (including checking the MOT history) rather than age.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:18 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

bamt wrote:
fairly expensive, habit of eating head gaskets

Only on the 1.8 k series petrol if I remember correctly, which I guess may be all that's around on that budget. I think there was a heavy duty gasket that would cure it so if that's been done you should be okay.
Some 10 year oldish Freelanders had issues with rear diffs which were mostly fixed under warranty. A handful more had issues with steering racks - the steering pump would start to whine because the filter was clogged with swarf not properly cleaned out in the factory. Dealer would replace the pump, not clean out the filter, rack would die some months later. Again, this was a handful of vehicles but it got some talk on forums because it's expensive.
Disco's, at £2k I'd check for rust. Once you've made sure it's got some, check how much. Laughing

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:52 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Subaru Forester.

That is all.

Very Happy

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:23 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had 2 Freelanders. The 1.8 petrol 3 door with the removable rear roof and the more conventional 5 door TDi. Both Mk1s.

I liked them both. I had more problems with the diesel but they weren't engine related, they were to do with the ABS/traction control warning lights coming on randomly.

I preferred the 3 door version, it was a bit different and I liked the removable roof in summer but the diesel was the better motor. My petrol had had the new cylinder head gasket according to the previous owner. I never had a problem so he was telling the truth.

Saying all that I would have preffered a Disco but I couldn't get a decent one for the same money as I paid for either Freelander.

growler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:44 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies guys Thumbs Up
Some things to think about

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:30 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: Land Rover discovery or freelander Reply with quote

Growler wrote:
We are looking for either as we want to do some more camping and need to tow a trailer and carry a Labrador
We have a 2 grand budget

A Merc ML
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Blah blah
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:18 - 12 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: Land Rover discovery or freelander Reply with quote

Growler wrote:

A good independent Land Rover garage in the area..? Very Happy

Oh, and for 2k I'd be looking at a freelander

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:20 - 12 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your not off roading hard (the freelander is still surprisingly good in the rough though) and your not towing big heavy car trailers etc, then yeah I'd look for a Freelander out of those two.

I quite liked the mk1 and it was as said in 3Dr form a bit more stylish than the chunky bigger off roaders and less girly than a RAV4, and less crap than a Frontera. I've only ever driven the diesel models though, and I'm not sure I'd be happy with the slowness of the 1.8K version, it was very sluggish in a Rover 75, let alone a Freelander. The Later TD4 models were supposed to be better still, and they don't have the swirl flap issues of the more powerful versions of the BMW M47 unit.

The issue with a Discovery at that price for me is ''one life live it'' types. I live near alot of forest areas and places where these mudpluggers go at weekends. I'd have no hopes of finding a Disco at that price that wasn't in their hands, and didn't have suspension and body lifts, winches, snorkels ets etc.

I knew a work mate who used to be one of these in it up to your axles types, and he said he'd never buy a 4x4 that had been used like this. Apparently water always gets in where it shouldn't, oil seals get ripped up and full of grit, and electrics get corroded and knackered quickly.

diesel dog
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 17:34 - 12 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither.

Both slow, cumbersome, crap on fuel, handle like shit and potential wallet hoovers.

Get a petrol estate car. For £2k you'll get something half sensible. I'd go down the Volvo estate route if I had to. Old Mercs, Bm'ers, Audi and the like in your budget are likely to need the same again throwing back into them in time. Too many electrical components to go wrong and everything needs plugging into a computer to diagnose faults.

Joncrete Cungle
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:26 - 12 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suzuki Grand Vitara. Wouldn't touch a Disco or Gaylander at £2k budget.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:21 - 12 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joncrete Cungle wrote:

I've got one of those (and a good one) and I didn't even think about recommending it.

Granted, it's better than a bad Disco or Freelander (which a sub £2K car almost certainly will be) but it's not great either.

Luggage capacity is virtually nothing unless you put the seats down, the ride is fairly poor, the performance is woeful and the fuel consumption is pretty grim.

I bought it for it's ability to get though adverse weather, which it does very well and the gripped and sorted brigade seem to like them, but as a road car it's bleak.

I've put up with it for 6 months, can't see it still be mine in another 6.

Nb
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:31 - 13 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its only a small trailer then i would be looking at a honda crv.
If you go looking at a discovery check for corrosion around the rear, and everywhere you can actually check. Laughing Check the mot history on every vehicle you look at.
As for shitelanders, avoid.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:14 - 13 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget the green wellies, flat cap and Barbour jackets

https://www.orvis.co.uk/orvis_assets/corpimg/092209_barbour_learn_more.jpg

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:41 - 13 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
Joncrete Cungle wrote:

I've got one of those (and a good one) and I didn't even think about recommending it.

Granted, it's better than a bad Disco or Freelander (which a sub £2K car almost certainly will be) but it's not great either.

Luggage capacity is virtually nothing unless you put the seats down, the ride is fairly poor, the performance is woeful and the fuel consumption is pretty grim.

I bought it for it's ability to get though adverse weather, which it does very well and the gripped and sorted brigade seem to like them, but as a road car it's bleak.

I've put up with it for 6 months, can't see it still be mine in another 6.

I've never driven one, but I assumed they would be better to drive than things like RAV4's CRV's and especially Daihatsu fourtracks etc.

I also would avoid cheap Shogun's, Landcruiser's and Isuzu's too, as any of those are likely to be pretty abused/neglected by now, and I know someone who had terrible electrical issues with an Isuzu trooper once too.

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:38 - 13 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't complain about our 1997 RAV4, still running, despite astronomical miles, every body panel is knackered, so don't care where we leave it, still starts first time every time. Bonus feature, it has no superfluous electronic crap to go wrong!

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:03 - 13 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't buy a navara pick up

Gaffers had to give his to Nissan as chassis is completely rotten on it

Is a 55 plate but Bought worth a 12_ month warranty

He got compensated and bought a Mitsubishi barbarian l200 instead

growler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:13 - 13 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies guys.
We are now convinced that they are not for us .too much car for what we will be doing
We have a 1.6 picasso which won't really be any good for towing so need at least a 2 litre
my son works at a ford dealership so wants us to get a ford as it will be easier for him to sort so now looking at galaxies

Bozzy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:15 - 13 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toyota RAV4

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:04 - 14 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Growler wrote:
Thanks for the replies guys.
We are now convinced that they are not for us .too much car for what we will be doing
We have a 1.6 picasso which won't really be any good for towing so need at least a 2 litre
my son works at a ford dealership so wants us to get a ford as it will be easier for him to sort so now looking at galaxies

how much camping gear do you have

a 1.6 picasso will be plenty for towing a small trailer with camping gear in

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 11:57 - 14 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sister and her husband bought Land Rovers each about 6 months ago. One of them has been on the back of an auto loader every month and the other just had some kind of catastrophic engine failure last week.

They were both relatively new as well, 2012 / 14 models.

Bozzy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 12:09 - 14 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jayy wrote:
My sister and her husband bought Land Rovers each about 6 months ago. One of them has been on the back of an auto loader every month and the other just had some kind of catastrophic engine failure last week.

They were both relatively new as well, 2012 / 14 models.

They're sh*t.

OP, If you want to buy a cheap SUV type vehicle then buy one that's Japanese.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 7 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2