Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Riding and Fatigue!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

woo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:11 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Riding and Fatigue! Reply with quote

So i rode the honda msx 125 from London to a place called Deal near Dover to view a zx6r which was a 160 mile return journey via A2 and M2.

When i got home i was completely knackered, so physically tired i couldnt even be arsed to cook food, straight lie down in bed.

what i have noticed is riding the 125cc on long distances to me seems more knackering than riding the big bikes as ive done the 125cc on motorways quite a few times.

its now thrown the whole dream of riding the 125cc to scotland for a good long tour completely out the window. Crying or Very sad
This was literally hard work.......well my body felt that way

Does anyone else suffer from fatigue when doing long distances on a small bike vs a big bike?

off to view a gsxr 750 srad on wednesday was gonna take the 125cc but im not ready go through with that again

SpannerMonkey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:23 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

After going from big bike to small bike, I found the effect to be the opposite. I found I got severe wristache and shoulder pains from my XJ900, but since I swapped to a small chuckable 140cc Monkey, all my pains are gone unless I do over 80miles each way... then it begins to take its toll on my spine.
I think fatigue, to a degree, is a personal thing. an 'adjust to taste' situation if you will.

Bars and grips can change this massively.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 16:31 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't it obvious that riding a tiny 125cc monkey sized bike long distances will be tiring? It's like driving a Smart versus a Merc E class.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:35 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Selling it me fo realz. 1500 earth pounds.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:36 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: Riding and Fatigue! Reply with quote

woo wrote:
So i rode the honda msx 125 from London to a place called Deal near Dover to view a zx6r which was a 160 mile return journey via A2 and M2.

When i got home i was completely knackered, so physically tired i couldnt even be arsed to cook food, straight lie down in bed.

what i have noticed is riding the 125cc on long distances to me seems more knackering than riding the big bikes as ive done the 125cc on motorways quite a few times.

its now thrown the whole dream of riding the 125cc to scotland for a good long tour completely out the window. Crying or Very sad
This was literally hard work.......well my body felt that way

Does anyone else suffer from fatigue when doing long distances on a small bike vs a big bike?

off to view a gsxr 750 srad on wednesday was gonna take the 125cc but im not ready go through with that again

MTFU. Twisted Evil

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=302995

Am I glad I did it? Very much so.

Would I do it again on a 125? Would I hell as like, unless there was no other choice.

Tbf I was filled with a sense of achievement afterwards, every other sense was completely numb for at least a week though.

2012: R125 killed by white van. 2016 R125 killed by 30,000 miles of redline. Current: 2016 Kawasaki ER6f.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:46 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the bike, riding position, type of riding. My 125 had horrid vibrations through the bars, and keeping the throttle wide open would make your wrist want to fall off. With the exception of those two things I wouldn't say it was anymore tiring than a big bike (I still get a sore throttle wrist), I imagine a nicer machine which can happily sit at 70 (something like a Varadero 125) would be alright.

Last edited by M.C on 16:47 - 10 Apr 2017; edited 1 time in total

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:47 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: Riding and Fatigue! Reply with quote

woo wrote:

Well stop using M'way's then.....

I have done Leeds to Hastings on more than one occasion on a TS 100. You just have to realise just what the bike can do and split the trip up.

2 h 23 min (82.2 mi) via M2 and A2

Mmm... Man up it is..... People commute more than that every day Laughing

Used to do as much as that every night after work for fun. Leeds to Brid, Whitby or Scarborugh just for the fish & chips and a ice cream Very Happy

woo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:58 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tell you wot Dave70 your right!!

as dumb as it sounds the sense of achievement from doing long distances on the 125cc does feel good

60mph was fine bike handled fine maybe i just need to up my fatigue resistance

Man up it is then!

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:07 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Isn't it obvious that riding a tiny 125cc monkey sized bike long distances will be tiring? It's like driving a Smart versus a Merc E class.

What he said!

Isn't it obvious that riding, what is essentially, a "toy" motorbike for anything more than a few miles is going to get uncomfortable.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:26 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

woo wrote:

Man up it is then!

No it is sell it me.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:21 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: Riding and Fatigue! Reply with quote

woo wrote:

Yes, at speed and especially in any sort of wind. The small but constant bouncing, twitching, veering and having to pin the throttle tenses you up. You have to put more active concentration into riding it.

Which is also exactly why I favour ickle or incompetent bikes for a short commute in decent weather.

£1503.50, but you have to deliver.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:31 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just take lots of drugs

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:33 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the longest small bike trip I did was 140miles, Redditch to Just outside Porthmadog, with my sleeping bag and a bag full of hiking gear. That was on a KMX 200.

I like KMX's so it wouldn't have been a problem, but thin plank seat caused severe arse ache for a full day after. I'd take the man up and deal with 70mph on your shoulders and chest while sat up like a sail, and I didn't mind the 50mile tank range, or the vibes through the pegs at 8000rpm+.

In them days I actually loved getting off a bike and reeking to death of two stroke oil smoke, as well as seeing the gunge drip all over the number plate. These days it hurts my OCD having to keep cleaning the back of the bike off and wiping all the black treacle off the silencer tip. Laughing

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:36 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: Riding and Fatigue! Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

£1503.50, but you have to deliver.

Fifteen hundred and four ponds fifty three pence and i shall collect.

First to see shall sell.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:09 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have no problem riding a 125 to Scottyland and back.
However things like the right bars and seat would be paramount.

I use my 250 (yes I know it's not a 125) to do all my touring, and that has never been an issue.
The principal is the same, i.e. Use what power I do have to the best of my ability.
Even on my 250, I keep off the motorways.

That said, I don't think my first choice of 125 would be a little msx Shocked .

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:09 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
I think the longest small bike trip I did was 140miles, Redditch to Just outside Porthmadog, with my sleeping bag and a bag full of hiking gear. That was on a KMX 200.

I knew a guy who had been riding on a CBT for years, just never got around to taking his tests. He was an avid rally-goer, and regularly travelled up and down the country with camping kit stowed on the back of his KMX125. He used to say that all his mates on bigger bikes got to their destination well before him, but he always got there in the end, and that's all he cared about.

Me, I don't knock people for doing long distances on small bikes (not much anyway Laughing ), but damned if I'll ever understand it!
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:19 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
I just take lots of drugs

I think that's common knowledge.

I didn't do long distances on my 125 but I do remember being out all day on quite a few occasions.
Can't remember ever being knackered though, probably because the bike fit me quite well.
Only time I've been truly exhausted after riding a 125 was at the end of the CBT because KMX.

Last edited by recman on 20:25 - 10 Apr 2017; edited 1 time in total

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:19 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any protracted period in the saddle will be fatiguing.

I personally find long rides on the big bike much more physically and mentally fatiguing than I do on the smaller one.

I think your problem is you don't ride your big bike fast enough.

I rode from Carlisle to Braemar on my VFR last weekend, 3 1/4 hours including a stop for a shite at Old Inns services. Arrived both physically knackered and massively over-stimulated, the Spittal of Glenshee road in the dusk being something akin to playing wipeout on a big screen. Took three pints just to calm down enough to hold a conversation together.

Three hours on the Bullet would simply have me chilled out.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:48 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

I personally find long rides on the big bike much more physically and mentally fatiguing than I do on the smaller one.

I avoid this by having lots of short breaks; just fag breaks and stretch the legs, and/or for taking snaps. It'd probably drive others to distraction, but dodgy knees and a dodgy arm makes it essential for me anyway. But at least with a big bike, you can make up some of the lost time elsewhere. A small bike...nah, would just make the day too long. And I also find it nice to be able to open the taps on that last homeward stretch.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:00 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Any protracted period in the saddle will be fatiguing.

when do you get your pension then ?

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:27 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
In them days I actually loved getting off a bike and reeking to death of two stroke oil smoke, as well as seeing the gunge drip all over the number plate.....

You mean you still don't? That was the smell of my youth, the smell I still wind the window down to inhale when passed by a 2 stroke, the reason I have a RD250!

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:09 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just trying to make out like I grew up eventually, and that I'm very metrosexual about clean/lean burn boring as fuck four stroke motors with awful snatchy EFI. Laughing

Fuck that shit!

Oh and I agree with Stinkwheel about the chilled out thing on small bikes. I remember riding 620miles in a day to France loaded up with two weeks of stuff on the ZX6R. After about 350miles it got pretty tiring every time you got onto a busy N or D road, and wanted to maintain a nice steady 70-80mph. It was literally every gap in the traffic you saw, tap it down one or two cogs and grab a handful darting in and out of lines of cars.

After that much riding it got bloody tiring and so does the concentration etc. Plodding along on an old thumper at 50mph following pick up trucks full of chickens etc would be a relief after that distance IMO.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:29 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to me that everyone here wants to tour on anything, as long as it's absolutely the wrong thing for touring Confused

Enfield 350? ZX6R? What's wrong with you people?! Laughing
A ZX6R isn't really a small bike, is it? Just not big enough.

Litre power for the win! Mr. Green

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:55 - 10 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did this below over the weekend (on the trip both days) the only thing that was exhausting was the seat slightly. The seat started getting hard and my knee was hurting. However on the Gn125 I did 1000 miles over 4 days before and it was a lot tiring because I was constantly on the throttle and messing with the gears.

Get the right bike and you can do almost any mileage. Saying that I'm still tempted to do Land's End to John o' Groats on a small bike in fancy dress for charity.

https://i.imgur.com/UM9DdWGl.jpg
ZX-7R This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 354 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2