Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Selling my bike, scam?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 11:12 - 11 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: Selling my bike, scam? Reply with quote

DrDonnyBrago wrote:
Nathan0834 wrote:
Good Point, thank you. Have edited the Ad accordingly. Here is the Ad, if you spot any other missing info, please let me know. First time selling a bike online. (**Edits have not gone live yet**) https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201704094245126

Sort of want...

Where are you?

Fareham.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:05 - 11 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Has anyone previously heard of scans of documents being asked for? Confused

Might just not know that they're online now. Not everyone is as smarterest as us.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 12:09 - 11 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't give scans I would reply with photos and tell her what is in the paper work. If she is interested she can see all the paperwork before handing over the cash.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:18 - 11 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see why a buyer might want to see scans; all helps to reassure that it's legit if they are available; plus seeing the service history and the actual wording on it can be helpful. If your travelling a helluva a long way to view a vehicle, with the intention of maybe buying it there and then, it's a pisser to get all the way and find discrepancies that mean you aren't 100% happy with it. Seller says "whatever", but buyer's just wasted a day.

I'm not sure what the benefit is to a scammer of having sight of scanned MOTs, service history etc though once they have the reg no, - ie, if there's nothing to hide, why is the OP being advised not to provide them?

Barker-CBR 600
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 22:35 - 11 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think that's exactly it - not sure whether there is a risk/ benefit to scammer or not and given can all be checked online seems odd.

I'm an air on the side of caution type person and might cause loss of a sale but there should hopefully always be another buyer!

Who knows...?!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:43 - 11 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
I'm not sure what the benefit is to a scammer of having sight of scanned MOTs, service history etc though once they have the reg no, - ie, if there's nothing to hide, why is the OP being advised not to provide them?

MOTs have a VIN on it for a start. Also gives an exact copy of the document for the cloned bike. Especially triumphs, which seem to get nicked all the time.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:52 - 11 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giving scans of your documents to someone is a really bad idea! Laughing

The chances are they're not about to copy all the details to clone a stolen bike but there's no need to take that risk.

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:54 - 11 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all, Thumbs Up

I sent an email back answering the questions and have sent extra pictures. in terms of the documents, I did what you said, and told her she can check the mot stuff online and is more than welcome to check out the paperwork when she come to have a look.

Heard nowt back yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:12 - 12 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluezedd wrote:
MOTs have a VIN on it for a start.

Merciful allah, I've just realised that the VRM and the VIN are both visible on my actual bike in the real world. Shocked

I'll pop out at lunchtime, grind off the VIN and snap the plate clean off. Phew, close one.

Bozzy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 08:36 - 12 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks a nice bike that OP. Best of luck selling it!

Edit to add: Is it not worth putting the standard cans back on and selling the Arrows seperately?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:42 - 12 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
bluezedd wrote:

Merciful allah, I've just realised that the VRM and the VIN are both visible on my actual bike in the real world. Shocked

I'll pop out at lunchtime, grind off the VIN and snap the plate clean off. Phew, close one.

Agree Roger, it's not difficult to get if you really want all the details.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 09:48 - 12 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it's not difficult for someone to get the details if they really want but that's no reason to openly send scans of your documents to people.

Nemo
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 10:18 - 12 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
You mention belly pan twice.

16000 mile service is valve clearance check time. Note if it's been done; make a point of it as others won't have been.

6k service intervals on them, 12 & 24k are valve clearances, so either they did it anyway or it was just an annual service.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:43 - 12 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Yes it's not difficult for someone to get the details if they really want but that's no reason to openly send scans of your documents to people.

Next they'll be asking you where to come in order to view the bike. Obvious ploy to steal it, tell them to get fvcked, scamming time waster scammers.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:30 - 12 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Next they'll be asking you where to come in order to view the bike. Obvious ploy to steal it, tell them to get fvcked, scamming time waster scammers.

No, no no, to install confidence in the buyer, you tell them they can come and see the bike, after dark, and alone, at Fort Fareham

https://www.imagesofengland.org.uk/images/14/17/L141713.jpg

I know that would make me rush out to buy the bike !!

A level of trust has to be given by both the seller & buyer, if, you're really not that keen, then your best bet may be to sell the bike to something like we buy any bike .. blah blah ...

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:49 - 12 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm travelling 200 miles to view a bike or car and potentially buy it on the spot, I'd be a lot more likely to go that distance having had a chance to look at scanned copies of the service history etc, even if the buyer wants to redact stuff like the VIN and his home address, if it makes him happier.

Actually, I did exactly this a few weeks ago when buying a car; because the seller was 100% open about everything, sent me scans, the lot, it gave me confidence that it was going to be a good'un. Yes of course I did all the usual online checks as well. The point is though, seeing that stuff gave me the incentive I needed to make the decision to travel - and frankly I just wouldn't have bothered going otherwise, and would have waited for another prospect came up, closer to home.

Still not really sure what extra nefarious shit I could have got up to specifically because I had the scans, had I been so inclined.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:56 - 12 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

I do agree it's not wise to make everything easy so scan with vin masked?

Moxey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:05 - 12 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm i'm a little worried, had a similar sounding email last week to an ad I have in MCN. not exactly the same but certain bits and the request for MoT history just read the same except her name was Stephanie, I sent back closer pics of the chain and tyres but not the MoT, advised her the history could be found via the .gov site as mentioned.

Haven't hear back in over a week, so I'd be interested to find out if this is something suspect, (might just need to remove my tin foil hat...).

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:09 - 12 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
bluezedd wrote:

I'm really surprised that you don't see the difference between having your bike in the open, with the details on it, and offering scanned copies of documents online, with no benefit to you?

I have intentionally uncovered the VIN on my car, as the prev owner had a piece of paper over it that was annoying me. That doesn't mean I'm about to go send scanned copies to any random that emails me, if I was selling it.

It's like saying you shouldn't chain your bike up, because they can be cut.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:12 - 12 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moxey wrote:
Hmm i'm a little worried, had a similar sounding email last week to an ad I have in MCN. not exactly the same but certain bits and the request for MoT history just read the same except her name was Stephanie, I sent back closer pics of the chain and tyres but not the MoT, advised her the history could be found via the .gov site as mentioned.

Haven't hear back in over a week, so I'd be interested to find out if this is something suspect, (might just need to remove my tin foil hat...).

I presume you gave her the reg number so she cold look up the MOT? We pretty well all obscure our reg numbers when posting pictures then give it out to any one who asks when it comes to selling because no one will come to look without doing an HPI check first.

Daft isn't it.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:17 - 12 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only think of once instance where someone on BCF cloned a plate from one they found Bike Trader. Thumbs Up

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:01 - 12 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluezedd wrote:
I'm really surprised that you don't see the difference between having your bike in the open, with the details on it, and offering scanned copies of documents online, with no benefit to you?

The direct benefit to you is increasing the pool of individuals one of whom will hopefully buy your bike. The bigger that pool is, the better. It's why we advertise our bikes in autotrader rather than in the window of our local newsagent

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:05 - 12 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
bluezedd wrote:

The direct benefit to you is increasing the pool of individuals one of whom will hopefully buy your bike. The bigger that pool is, the better. It's why we advertise our bikes in autotrader rather than in the window of our local newsagent

Eh? I didn't say you couldn't provide MOT information etc. If you lose a sale because you provided adequate information, but didn't provide scanned copies (assuming they're legit buyers), then I wouldn't be desperate enough to sell to them in the first place, as they'll likely be fussy bastards.

Might as well sell it to a guy working on an oil rig, and hand it to his shipping agent, with that sort of desperation there. I'm sure that'd be very beneficial.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:56 - 12 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluezedd wrote:
I'm really surprised that you don't see the difference between having your bike in the open, with the details on it, and offering scanned copies of documents online

Fair point.

In the former case, I have absolutely no control over it or any idea if or when it's been cloned. Mine might have been copied 50 times in the last hour alone for all I know.

In the latter, I'm in complete control of what I send and don't send, have at least tenuous contact details, and am on alert that I may be experiencing an attack of the cloners.

You're right, very different situations.

natefz6
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:41 - 12 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

In the latter, I'm in complete control of what I send and don't send, have at least tenuous contact details, and am on alert that I may be experiencing an attack of the cloners.

You're right, very different situations.

Also If I am in possession of a newly painted now white hot Street triple I can either go combing the streets to find a matching bike and get the VIN and Reg, or do a 2 min search on autotrader/ebay to try to dupe multiple people in to giving me the info I can print off some counterfeit documents with.

I would send a photo with the key bits masked out, you cant protect against everything. I mean some arse down the street might call up the DVLA and try to register the V5 but its worth not making things too easy.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 16 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3