Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Automatic scooter or motorcycle

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

biker420
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 10:02 - 11 Apr 2017    Post subject: Automatic scooter or motorcycle Reply with quote

Hi All,

I just passed my full motorcycle test and now am looking at my options for buying a ride.

One thing I have noticed is that I hate the clutch as it makes my left hand hurt within an hour or so of riding. Since I will be spending most of time in London traffic it would involve a lot of stop/start hence the extra need for clutching.

I rode an automatic scooter a while back and it was uber convenient in this regard albeit it gave me much less overall control.

I have done some research into NC750X DCT and quite like the idea of it. Either fully automatic or use the gear shifters instead of the dreaded clutch.

So I basically had 2 questions:

1) Are there any other motorcycles apart from NC750X that are automatic?

2) Leaving looks aside, would I be better off just buying an auto scooter instead of bike?

Many Thanks,

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:29 - 11 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of maxi scooters about if you really fancy one.

In terms of bikes theres quite a few Hondas can be had with the DCT option other than the NC. FJR1300 also has a similar option.

If it's just your hand getting sore that's the problem you could just get a bike with a lighter clutch (hydraulic clutches usually are) or work on your grip strength.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:39 - 11 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: Automatic scooter or motorcycle Reply with quote

biker420 wrote:

2) Leaving looks aside, would I be better off just buying an auto scooter instead of bike?

Many Thanks,

Have you considered a bike with a hydraulic clutch? Or even adding a hydraulic clutch system to a bike?

The only other bikes well bike I can think of is the FJR1300AE or AS. It has no clutch lever. It has a couple of buttons on the bars to shift up and down and still has the foot shifter but the clutch is completely automatic.

As to scootay vs bike it depends what you'll use it for. If it's commuting and getting through heavy city traffic scootays make a lot of sense.

But if it's spirited rides through the countryside large and small trips around the country or beyond you'll want a bike as the small wheel (affecting the handling) limited suspension. While the limited speeds to get past the boring bits may drive you insane.

Champagne for instance in Northern France is flat straight at boring. CBR can burn through it at very high speed quickly. While pootling along slowly would drive me nuts.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

biker420
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 11:30 - 11 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry one more question that I wanted to ask was this; Does the motorcycle pannier boxes have more storage space than a scooters built in capacity?

biker420
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 11:32 - 11 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

FJR1300 is a 1300cc bike and is way too big for me really. I am a new rider who is about 5'9''. I dont think I can even handle this sort of beast.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:46 - 11 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

biker420 wrote:
FJR1300 is a 1300cc bike and is way too big for me really. I am a new rider who is about 5'9''. I dont think I can even handle this sort of beast.

It's not really a beast though. It's super smooth and it's a bizarre feeling when you're riding along at 30mph it's super quiet. If you need to you can go crazy fast on it. But if you don't wind on too much with your right hand it can be docile.

biker420 wrote:
Sorry one more question that I wanted to ask was this; Does the motorcycle pannier boxes have more storage space than a scooters built in capacity?

My (after market) panniers are 40 litres. Though this is measured by pouring sand into them so while they are 40 litres they're too small to fit a full face helmet inside as they are flat and narrow. I usually carry the right one for day to day stuff or both for touring. Add in a 52 litre top box (rare) and you've got 132litres of capacity.

HOWEVER the scooter luggage underseat on super scootays will not add to the dimensions of the bike unlike panniers top boxes and tank bags.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:52 - 11 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: Automatic scooter or motorcycle Reply with quote

biker420 wrote:

Honda's new Africa Twin, and the Aprilia Mana 850 (2007 - 2011).

biker420 wrote:
would I be better off just buying an auto scooter instead of bike?

Practically, probably yes. I rode a Burgman 400 for a year or so and can't really fault it. But merciful allah, it was dull. I just couldn't find any pleasure in it.

You didn't say what bike you were using for your training and tests. They're not all equal. The clutch on my BMW is pretty light, and you can improve things further with an easy / E-Z pull / stunt clutch assist, e.g.:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192130111885

Yes, they work, I'm running one on my Enfield. It does require more level travel, and you need to dial in your bite point carefully, but needs a lighter pull.

And just because you've got a full license doesn't mean you need a big bike. I get more fun from my Ninja 250 as a commuter, and the clutch on that is practically telepathically operated.

biker420
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:10 - 11 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aprilia Mana 850 (2007 - 2011)

Great to know ... as realistically this will probably be the only auto bike that will fit my budget of 2.5k.

Is it a reliable machine?

Thanks Smile

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:44 - 11 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can fit rekluse clutch kits to various BMWs, Suzuki SV650s, gladius and V-stroms among various others.

VFR1200 also comes with DCT.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:27 - 11 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

biker420 wrote:
Aprilia Mana 850 (2007 - 2011)

Is it a reliable machine?

Aprilia have a decent reputation for reliability, but parts for any Italian bike might be problematic. It'd be more of a gamble than a bike from the other Axis powers.

davebike
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:10 - 12 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ridden several versions of the NC both 700 and the 750

The auto is nice offers a sport mode and Manuel using up down buttons

The three version use the same basic chassis and engines
the only difference is the s version is only Manual g box with manual clutch the x adventure type is either and the SD scooter version is only auto

They all ride well and are quicker than you would expect fro the modest power level and are very good novice bikes

there proving to be very reliable a customer is up to over 76K miles on a SD scooter version

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:02 - 12 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

davebike wrote:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B_bAsFmUIAAufnq.jpg

Laughing

Baggyman
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 10:39 - 12 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
davebike wrote:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B_bAsFmUIAAufnq.jpg

Laughing

I know him.....think I shagged his granddaughter

Twisted Evil

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:03 - 13 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

davebike wrote:

The three version use the same basic chassis and engines
the only difference is the s version is only Manual g box with manual clutch the x adventure type is either and the SD scooter version is only auto

They all ride well and are quicker than you would expect fro the modest power level and are very good novice bikes

there proving to be very reliable a customer is up to over 76K miles on a SD scooter version

So they don't have a rear brake on the bars (with the auto')? That's a bit weird, I'd rather have one and a foot shifter.

davebike
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:42 - 13 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scooter auto has rear brake on bars adventure bike has foot rear brake

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:27 - 13 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

biker420 wrote:

Panniers have more space. Slim panniers are 30L and cannot fit helmet, but most are about 40-50L and you can fit 1 helmet. Panniers go with topbox. Large topboxes are 50-60L and fit 2 helmets.

So 2 panniers 2x40L=80L + 50L top box = 130L

Big scooters have a 50-60L underseat storage enough for 2 helmets.

Check Aprilia Mana 850 for nice auto motorcycle.

https://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs/shift-shootout-2014-aprilia-mana-gt-vs-bmw-c600-sport-vs-honda-nc700-dct-video
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 6 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1