Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Passed my Mod 2 today! Bike choices.....

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Deadonkey
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 16:05 - 11 Apr 2017    Post subject: Passed my Mod 2 today! Bike choices..... Reply with quote

Hi

Well thats it all over with, did an average ride on my test, not my best. passed anyway.

Ive learnt on an XJ6 N, and really liked the bike, not too keen on the amount of wind blast at 60mph tho.

Had a go on a brand new Kawasaki Z650 that my instructor bought, and I absolutly didnt get on with it being a twin, It felt like all the power was low down and it was a bit gutless at the top end.

The plan was to buy a ER6F off a mate, hes had it since new, looked after it super well etc etc and Id get it at a good price however the experience of riding a twin has put me right off it.

Im thinking of buying a Yamaha XJ6 like the one ive learnt on over the past few months, I like that bike and id be happy to own one.
However I dont think a naked one is for me.
With the XJ6 Diversions there are 2 choices a half faired version and a fully faired version.

To me the fully faired version looks best but Im thinking go for the half faired one, Simply because those fairings look awfully expensive and due to the design of the Diversion F you cant fit crash bobbins without drilling the fairings which I dont really fancy.

Is there going to be any difference between the two when it comes to riding? ie will the extra fairing reduce wind etc.

The Half faired one is coming back around £125 cheaper to insure.

any thoughts? any other bikes I should check out?

Im on a Full cat A licence with around £4k to spend.
I realise this bike, whatever it is will not be a forever bike but simply a stepping stone into the adventure/touring market, with a view to part ex for something like a Tiger 800 in a year or so.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:31 - 11 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any triple.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:38 - 11 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Any triple.

Pretty much all expensive to insure as a new rider though, unfortunately.

Full fairing versus half fairing - I wouldn't worry about it; you'll get used to either pretty quickly. I notice on my half faired bike that my legs get a bit more wind blast and obviously rain on them if it's raining, but it's not a deal breaker at all. Decent screen takes the majority of the pressure off and even half faired bikes have that. If the half faired bike is cheaper to insure then that's where I'd look.

As for what to ride - don't let the experience on a twin put you off; I swore by inline 4's and then tried an Aprilia 750 V Twin which I really didn't get on with, but then ended up with a litre V Twin KTM which I'm absolutely over the moon with - in between I had a litre triple, which I guess over experience has bridged the gap and I can now enjoy most if not any engine configuration. BUT, there's no point riding something you don't like, so buy something you're comfortable with.

Well done on passing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:06 - 11 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought - as this is your stepping stone into adv/touring, why not just buy an adv/touring bike now?

Vulusmaximus
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:16 - 11 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done passing Smile

Lots of bikes to choose from, but which one for you, that's the question ? Smile

Passed very recently myself. Tried a few bikes out, ended up with a VFR800. Quite comfortable to ride, the V4 made some of the twins feel like tractors Smile Might be worth a look.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:08 - 12 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Write to yamaha, ask for a slimline 4 cylinder adventure bike with torque.
Wait for reply and get old.
Or, go and try the usual culprits and settle for something.

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:14 - 12 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

bamt wrote:
Just a thought - as this is your stepping stone into adv/touring, why not just buy an adv/touring bike now?

I think this is a good shout. Either that, or get something cheap and cheerful to throw around, and inevitably drop and or crash.

And get the tiger when you saved up the cheddar.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:08 - 12 Apr 2017    Post subject: Re: Passed my Mod 2 today! Bike choices..... Reply with quote

Deadonkey wrote:
It felt like all the power was low down and it was a bit gutless at the top end.

Huh, I'd have expected you to have been trained to use gears beyond 2nd, but I guess you didn't need to. How often do you expect to be hammering an IL4 at 9000rpm+?

That aside, the answer is FZS600 / CBR600F for about £1K, ride it until you have the pennies saved up for your dream bike, then sell it for what you paid.

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 08:34 - 12 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

or get your dream bike now on pcp/finance/credit card/loan.

you could die tomorrow yolo

darkhorizon
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 08:26 - 15 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fireblade

The end.

Dave81
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:55 - 16 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just get what you want, I've only just passed my test and although not everyone's cup of tea I bought a honda vfr1200f, take your time and learn to ride, don't try and run before you can walk and you'll be fine.

Edinho
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:36 - 16 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only just passed and decided to go for a Versys 650.

Not really ridden it yet but think it will suit the riding im planning to do - back roads and a bit of touring.

I would also factor in insurance anything like a VFR,CBR for a new rider is more expensive until you have experience and some no claims.

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:39 - 16 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
grr666 wrote:
Any triple.

Pretty much all expensive to insure as a new rider though, unfortunately.

Triumph Street for me was cheaper than SV650S and CBR600 Fi

2p

Bozzy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:33 - 16 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish that were the case for me Crying or Very sad mine was about £50 extra like for like.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 5 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1