Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

High MPG bikes which are fun?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:58 - 14 Apr 2017    Post subject: High MPG bikes which are fun? Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm looking to get rid of my car and get a bike but want something relitively low powered to get the most out of both MPG and insurance/tax but also something a bit fun.

Been looking at:
Yam 450f supermoto
Yam 250r supermoto
Suzuki 200 Van van
Honda MSX 150- 181cc (modded from 125cc standard)
Yam Ybr 250

Ideally i want something around the 300cc mark for NSL roads. I want something with upright riding position so I can just enjoy the world passing me by but also be easy enough to chuck into corners.

Probably asking too much but basically want to have a cheap to run bike that is also a bit of fun for my commute to work, i'll get a weekend bike in the future (z1000 or cb1000r)

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:02 - 14 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always fancied a goose 350 if you can find a good one, not massively upright mind, but small engine and naked.

To be honest you'll get 40mpg of of most 600's, I'd be looking down the Fazer/Hornet route unless you really need to be up in the 60mpg range or higher - in which case I suspect the yzf is probably out too.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:04 - 14 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ninja 250 cos race bike. Position is pretty commuter focussed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:07 - 14 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug_the_bastard wrote:
I've always fancied a goose 350 if you can find a good one, not massively upright mind, but small engine and naked.

To be honest you'll get 40mpg of of most 600's, I'd be looking down the Fazer/Hornet route unless you really need to be up in the 60mpg range or higher - in which case I suspect the yzf is probably out too.

Yeah i've looked at Er5, hornets, and fazers... all potentials. Will look at the goose 350.

I think the first to come in at a decent price will be jumped on but good to have a list of those to look for.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:31 - 14 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is a Duke 390 in budget?

I am having a laugh on my Ninja 250 as a suburban / urban commuter. It is a fairly neutral position, just enough leany that you can kid yourself that you're Valentino Márquez if you want, without being uncomfy even for geezers..

It'll get past 70mph+ without fuss, but you won't really want to keep it there for long.

Black ones tend to be cheaper than green, because #datswaciss.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:33 - 14 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always found it a bit weird when for criteria like this, silly people not really thinking about the practicalities or the best tool for the job pick out weird obscure grey import bikes that are over 20years old.

Where the fuck is your logic? And why keep name dropping old Jap market bikes like SDR200's, and Goose 350's, as if they are everywhere and there's always loads of them for sale in good condition on every street corner and with excellent cheap parts back up and spares? I'd really love to hear your logic?

I think it's either people not even reading the OP properly, or else just name dropping weird old bikes that they would love to own or buy but not with their own money, and or without thinking about the intended use or how to keep them on the road and get spares quickly and easily. How an old grey import Is right for most peoples daily beater I'll never understand?

It's not really like Fazer 600's for example, where you could keep one on the road cheaply and fall over spare parts under your nose. Old greys are bikes for sunny day play bikes, projects, or collections where if something goes wrong, a month or 3month wait for a vital spare part is no sweat or concern, as it was never going to be relied on other than for fun and laughs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:34 - 14 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duke 390 is unfortunately out of my budget. £1.5k

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:37 - 14 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the vanvan 200 and we own one, but if you want serious fun fun fun! get either of the two supermotos!!

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:44 - 14 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
I really like the vanvan 200 and we own one, but if you want serious fun fun fun! get either of the two supermotos!!

Really like the look of the van van. Keep coming back to it. What's the mpg like?

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 13:49 - 14 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My lexmoto XTRS does 110mpg, OHHhh you want fun... Black Eye

Tbh im interested to know too...

What about the z300? Also would it be happy going a hundred or 2 miles on motorway trips?

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:20 - 14 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bubbs wrote:
thx1138 wrote:

Really like the look of the van van. Keep coming back to it. What's the mpg like?

Little tank is little, you fill it up a lot. Getting about 80 to 90mpg out of I think. Not as much as the 125.

If you can be bothered to click through my sig I put a little first impression review up on youtube of it when we bought it.

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:31 - 14 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
Bubbs wrote:

Little tank is little, you fill it up a lot. Getting about 80 to 90mpg out of I think. Not as much as the 125.

If you can be bothered to click through my sig I put a little first impression review up on youtube of it when we bought it.

Cool I'll take a look

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 14:34 - 14 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second time in a week I've mentioned the bike, but Honda BROS 650.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:46 - 14 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bubbs wrote:
Duke 390 is unfortunately out of my budget. £1.5k

The cheapest Van Van 200 on eBay is an 11 year old import asking £2200. See stevo's rant. Wink

The Van Van 200 was on the list of potentials when I bought the Ninja. There were no cheap Van Vans for sale, there was a cheapish (£1300 @ 6 years and 4000 miles) Ninja, so I bought the bike that actually existed. I'm cray-cray that way.

Oh, big tank, many miles.

If you can stretch just a little, Inazuma 250s are coming up for £1700 now.

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:58 - 14 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah there will be room for stretching budget. Will look at those

haroman666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:56 - 14 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your supermoto choices aren't likely to be good on fuel on account of aerodynamics making 60mph a slightly more arduous task.

I know it's slightly larger than what you've said but the 500cc honda range? CBR500?

But then again, may be slightly on the other side of your budget.

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:52 - 14 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Just watched your review. You're getting up to 70mph... How quick you getting up to 60?

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:58 - 14 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bubbs wrote:
Quote:

Just watched your review. You're getting up to 70mph... How quick you getting up to 60?

erm Embarassed

eventually Laughing

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:18 - 14 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha ha, where does the acceleration cut to slow as fuck rather than slow

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:18 - 14 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha ha, where does the acceleration cut to slow as fuck rather than slow

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:48 - 14 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

about 45mph

ocatoro
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:10 - 14 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have thought any of the newish 250-500cc bikes would do astro mpg and be fairly brisk compared with 125s... case of sit on some and take your pick.

if looking for something cheap and simple, the er5 is a good shout that someone mentioned. when I had one, 60mpg was easy and they don't need restricting, being (roughly) 47hp. gpz500 has same engine with more power and some fairing albeit narrow... bit faster, just as economical.

you're looking at very modern 1.4-1.6 diesel engine to be sniffing at 60+mpg and then you're spending many times over your budget.

Bozzy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:14 - 14 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polar Bear is selling his Wife's ER6N for £1500? That not fit the bill?

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=319360&highlight=

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 20:19 - 14 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ocatoro wrote:
you're looking at very modern 1.4-1.6 diesel engine to be sniffing at 60+mpg and then you're spending many times over your budget.

Um, bollocks. I drive a 2004 2 litre diesel avensis, and average 60mpg. Cost me 750 quid.

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:25 - 14 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

BMW F650 CS. MCN puts it at 62MPG, Fuelly puts it between 46.8 and 60.2 depending on year.
From what I've read, it's a really fun bike too.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 5 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4