Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Looking to buy Aprilia Pegaso 650

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:31 - 19 Apr 2017    Post subject: Looking to buy Aprilia Pegaso 650 Reply with quote

Hi guys,

This bike has come up at a reasonable price and I am going to view it tomorrow. I know so far that it's on a W reg (2000) and that it's done around 26,000 miles. That's all.

Generally they have good reviews. And I haven't seen anything on my internet travels that points to any particular downfall.

Is there anything specific that I should be looking for on this bike?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 23:12 - 19 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parts supply, if it's needing anything done to it.

Link to the advert, or is the seller aiming for a lack of interest and a low price?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:14 - 19 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its got the 660cc Yamaha engine (XT660/Mt-03), heard of them going bang at ~60k so you should be ok at that mileage.

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 23:15 - 19 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ad's been taken down. No idea why, I'm far from committing to buying it just yet. But he's local anyway, about three miles down the road, so it's not a great loss if I think it's a duffer.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:18 - 19 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google cache if you bookmarked/have it in history. Normally a sign its been sold or reported... or he's sure you're gonna buy it Smile

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 23:25 - 19 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunno. It was on Facebook marketplace. I messaged him once I saw that it was taken down and he said it's still available. Still, can't hurt to go and have a look.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:16 - 20 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's someone on here with one that really rates it. Can't think who though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:30 - 20 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one but it's the earlier carb model. Solid lump, tons of torque and a proper hoot to ride in the twisties. As already said; parts are the problem. A lot of bits are only available from Italy at stupendous prices.

The good thing though is that a lot of parts from the BMW F650 will fit (same engine but BMW did it in a four valve/2 spark config vs the Italian 5 valve/1 spark)

Generally speaking though I wouldn't specifically go looking for one unless it was a bargain (Mine was) There are plenty better bikes for similar monies.

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 07:34 - 20 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the replies.
This one has been listed at £750. I did the 'what's the lowest you'll go' routine and he came back with £500, which was quite shocking. But it was listed for bloody ages. I'm a tad bit suspicious because it seems a bit too good.

Baggyman
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 07:48 - 20 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MahatmaAndhi wrote:
Thanks guys for the replies.
This one has been listed at £750. I did the 'what's the lowest you'll go' routine and he came back with £500, which was quite shocking. But it was listed for bloody ages. I'm a tad bit suspicious because it seems a bit too good.

At £500, even if something goes bang, you should get that back breaking the rest so as long as it is kosher and not multiply trashed......

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:02 - 20 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

500 quid I'd have had his arm off. I did the same sort of mental calculation with mine, it's worth far more in bits if it turns out to be a shitter (which so far it hasn't proved to be great, it's still in bits looking sorry for itself in the corner of the workshop)

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:18 - 20 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADSrox0r wrote:
BMW F650 will fit (same engine

Hmm, looks like a Rotax unit. Is that common (more or less) between the Beemer and the Yamaha that other sources cite as being the donor for the Aprilia?

Either way, I'd go in eyes wide open and treat "Yeah, just needs..." as a sign that it just needs breaking for parts.

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:35 - 20 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct; the venerable and ubiquitous Rotax of Austrian origin.

The one to watch out for with these engines is the sprag clutch, common failure point that ends up quite costly to repair.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:48 - 20 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm seems like they used the Yamaha engine in later models (stupid MCN Rolling Eyes), 2005 onwards I believe.

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:15 - 20 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went and viewed the bike today, armed with absolutely fuck all knowledge of what I should be looking for.
The bike has tons of paperwork, old receipts, V5, MOT certificates etc. etc. It's a local bike too, previously owned by a guy who owns a bike garage.

MOT has two advisories.
Exhaust slightly deteriorated
Rear Tyre worn close to legal limit

The rear tyre is probably beyond legal limit now, and the front tyre could probably do with changing too.
The exhaust looks like it come from Silent Hill, but I couldn't hear anything wrong with it (like I said, I'm absolutely clueless).
Only advisories in previous years were consumables (tyres, brake pads.)

Now for the bit which has me wondering if I should walk away or not: It won't start off the button. Bump starting it is absolutely fine. However, I need a daily commuter.
All of the lights etc. work, but when you push the starter button, nothing. The little oil light on the dashboard is on when you turn the key, but when you push the starter, it goes out. The engine doesn't even try to turn over.

I've got about £150 left on my budget and I am wondering if this would be a simple fix or a complete kick in the balls.

Here's the best image I could get of the exhaust.

Any ideas?

(Bigger image: https://i.imgur.com/8pgjIjf.jpg)

https://i.imgur.com/8pgjIjfl.jpg

The bike: https://i.imgur.com/NPtlscG.jpg
The bike 2: https://i.imgur.com/21MpJm0.jpg

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:59 - 20 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be as simple as a dud battery.

My XL600 needs a battery at 100% for it to even attempt to start on the button, but will kick start (then run fine) even after 6 months of standing.

Get a known good, fully charged battery and some jump leads, or borrow a boost box and try it again.

If that fails, could be anything from a bad earth to knackered starter, so then it's up you if feel confident enough to try and fix it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:34 - 20 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft got me to thinking, I really need a daily commuter, so I need to ensure that I'm insured to ride.
I'm currently TPF&F on my ER5 and I thought that there's no way that I'd be able to ride another bike on this insurance, but I had a look in the policy booklet... (yeah, yeah - Hastings, I know: https://www.hastingsdirect.com/documents/Policy_documents/Motorbike/HD-MC-CPW-07-14.pdf)

... and I came across this:

https://i.imgur.com/FuSG1Xdl.png

I may be reading this with rose-tinted glasses, but does Section 3 mean that even with my TPF&F cover, I am able to ride the Aprilia so long as I still own the Kawasaki?

If that is the case, I can keep the Kawasaki until the Aprilia is fixed, sell it and switch the insurance over... right? Right?

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:42 - 20 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MahatmaAndhi wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/FuSG1Xdl.png

I may be reading this with rose-tinted glasses, but does Section 3 mean that even with my TPF&F cover, I am able to ride the Aprilia so long as I still own the Kawasaki?

If that is the case, I can keep the Kawasaki until the Aprilia is fixed, sell it and switch the insurance over... right? Right?

I think the "OWNED" is a bit of a clue..... Rolling Eyes

But lets fact it. If it's not working then why bother with insurance, so long as it's off the road. Thumbs Up

Peersonally find out what battery and see if you can get to fire up with a battery.... If not then it could be a expensive fix. Embarassed

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 21:47 - 20 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

What does your certificate say? That booklet is just saying you are covered if the certificate says so.

The engine was designed for Aprilia I think, replacing the old air cooled Rotax engines in the original Pegaso. The BMW used a cheaper version of this engine, and was originally built by Aprilia for BMW.

First thing I would check to fix the non starting issue after the battery is the starter relay.

All the best

Katy

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:51 - 20 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Err... you've covered on it as long as you don't own it.

That exhaust could Swiss Cheese at any moment. A pair of new end cans and pipe sections will run you over £300.

If it starts off a fresh battery, maybe. I'd also try shorting the starter solenoid. It's as simple as finding it then shoving a screwdriver between the terminals. If it spins up, a new solenoid is a few £££.

If you can't get it started easily, and don't want to treat it as a project bike, I'd walk away, even at that price.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:03 - 20 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were the lights dim? A battery so flat that it doesn't even attempt to start the bike would show other signs, did the owner say anything about the bike being sat?

That exhaust's something special, looking at used prices I wouldn't be too scared but did you feel all around to see if it was blowing?

I had a similar brilliant idea re insurance, Rogerborg came and pissed all over my dreams by (logically) pointing out the vehicle needs to be taxed and have continuous insurance if it's not SORN.

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:19 - 20 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 650 single lump needs a big old whack of juice to get it turning over so if the battery isn't tip top it's not too surprising. Mine is very reluctant on anything other than a battery that's been on a tender overnight.

The exhaust though, that's a definite replacement if not sooner than later but you would have to factor it into your cost balance. If you're not spanner handy then getting the headers off is almost a guaranteed cast iron bitch that you'll end up paying a tame motor mender to do for you. It wouldn't put me off I'd still have it for 500 quid in a heartbeat so long as nothing is rotten (other than the exhaust) or bent/cracked, but you need to think about whether you want the grief.

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:57 - 20 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really in two minds. On the one hand, I love the style of bike. It felt good, it looks great, it'll be perfect for what I want. On the other hand, it could be a whole ton of grief.
The cheapest one I found on the usual haunts was about £1,800. There's an investment there for someone more savvy than me.

My head (and my wife) are telling me to leave it. My heart's saying go for it.

I'm going to sleep on it.

Fowlersrs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:05 - 21 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's £500! Go there with a fresh battery and a set of leads. If it starts then what have you got to loose?

If I paid that sorta money and it blew up a week after owning it is just laugh and get on with life.

Where's the bike located?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:45 - 21 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fowlersrs wrote:
It's £500! Go there with a fresh battery and a set of leads. If it starts then what have you got to loose?

£550+ for new end cans, tyres, and a battery.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 362 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2